Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta man says phone solicitor threatened him with death

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 1:43 PM
Last updated 6:50 PM

A Hephzibah man told the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office a telephone solicitor argued with him and then threatened to have him killed.

According to an incident report, a woman had called the 33-year-old man’s phone several times pushing the phone service, which was not named in the report. This resulted in an argument during a conversation Monday afternoon.

The man told police the caller became insistent about the service before telling him in Spanish “I will send someone over to kill you.”

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/05/13 - 02:26 pm
Wow! Way to go guy!

I sure would love to read the follow-up story on this one. Knowing some Spanish is almost necessary if you're going to tell the hotel housekeeper to change the bed sheets and leave more towels and toilet paper.

Guess some among our immigrant population don't realize that "stupid Americans" always tend to adapt and deal with prevailing conditions.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/05/13 - 03:15 pm
I remember one time getting a

I remember one time getting a phone call from a solicitor selling Reader's Digest. I told the guy "Thanks, but no thanks." and that we didn't have the money for anything like that (my usually tried and true remark to solicitors!). I distinctly remember being VERY nice to the guy. However, he kept on trying to sell me. Remembering that he was just doing his job, I told him again "Look, we just can't afford it now, so please put us down for not wanting it and not wanting anymore calls.Thanks.". Well, the guy then told me "Well, maybe I will and maybe I won't.". I said "What??". And he repeated and said "You heard me. What are you going to do about it?". I just hung up because I knew that asking for his boss wouldn't do anything! I was furious! At the time, I didn't know that I could call the operator and get them to trace the call (apparently only if you have Caller ID??).

karradur
karradur 03/05/13 - 03:34 pm
Delete my comment about how

Delete my comment about how Hispanics are not sub-humans.

Keep the comment about how Hispanics are apparently no better than slaves.

That's cool, Chronicle.

karradur
karradur 03/05/13 - 04:08 pm
You're really good at straw

You're really good at straw man arguments, aren't you.

Dixieman
19186
Dixieman 03/05/13 - 04:56 pm
DIXIEMAN HAS 3,897,448 POINTS

Maybe they were running a sales contest?
Too much commentary already on this minor incident. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

Darby
32055
Darby 03/05/13 - 05:27 pm
Well, did she....

have him killed or not???

soitgoes
soitgoes 03/05/13 - 05:43 pm
why didn't he

just hang up???!!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/05/13 - 05:43 pm
Buck up Karradur (re-posted w/o offensive typo for those who...)

Not one thing I posted was racist in the slightest. You really had to jump far to come to that conclusion, but I know lefty-libs are more than capable of such stunning leaps in logic. Most Latinos/Latinas (their preferred way of referencing people of that heritage/lineage) in this part of the US are classified as Caucasian, which obviously makes racism out of the question. They don't get a free pass any more that the rest of us white folks do.

"Hispanic" is not a race, BTW, and I'm not even sure it qualifies as an
ethnicity given that most people now labeled that way have a lot of
Amerindian in their bloodlines. Native American, I might buy, but not
Hispanic, no matter what the PC illiterati try to push on the more
feeble-minded among us.

Somehow I missed the part on treating them as sub-human. Perhaps it is that you consider hotel housekeepers subhuman, but I certainly do not. I once had to earn a living doing just that kind of thing when I was making my way in the world, and I respect anyone who shows up and works at a demanding, boring job for the sake of their family or just for their own self-respect. Therefore, I suspect your comment reveals much more about your own crummy attitude toward people doing "menial" labor than it does about mine.

And, just to keep things straight, this wasn't about immigration. It wasn't even about illegal border jumpers, the unwelcome type of immigrant. It was about someone being a complete jerk and threatening a local man who didn't cave to her sales pressure, by arrogantly assuming he wouldn't understand her language.

So, Karradur, who really is the arrogant one in all this? Answer: the
telemarketer. And who is the one jumping to unwarranted conclusions and applying inappropriate labels? YOU.

Alas no, my family's plantations weren't the largest in the United States, but they are some of the oldest, including Carter's Grove right outside of Williamsburg, and Berkeley, another James River plantation, and of course, Evergreen, in Edgefield County, SC.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/05/13 - 05:48 pm
@ Dixieman

Quite correct. But someone is always popping up to make it about race.

This relentless persecution complex is the sucking black hole of American culture.

CobaltGeorge
194131
CobaltGeorge 03/05/13 - 06:41 pm
Fiat_Lux

a big, big HORAAAAA on your comment.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 03/05/13 - 07:20 pm
I recently

had a phone soliciter tell me to "go f--k myself". I don't believe some of the companies that solicit by phone actually record their conversations as they claim.

rebellious
rebellious 03/05/13 - 11:44 pm
Sometimes

reading these posts is like walking into the aftermath of a fight, yet timid in asking what the heck happened. So you just straighten out the chairs and ask if everybody is gonna be OK.

But in my heart of hearts, I know Fiat_Lux was right and whatsisname was wrong. What is a Karradur, anyway?

rebellious
rebellious 03/05/13 - 11:43 pm
Heck Just Saturday

I got a call from a local newspaper (yuck, yuck) asking me if I wanted to start back geting the print edition in my box. I answered "No Thank You" click.

My kids looked at me like I had shot someone. But thats the way you gotta do it, unless you just want to argue with someone on how you choose to spend your money. Nothing personal.

rebellious
rebellious 03/05/13 - 11:45 pm
And

for that matter, what is a Fiat_Lux?

rebellious
rebellious 03/05/13 - 11:48 pm
Found It

The definition of Fiat Lux is deeper than "let there be light". It means its a formal invitation one takes by arbitrary (personal) choice into illumination.

DEEP!

Adam Bomb
Adam Bomb 03/06/13 - 07:56 am
Telemarketers are usually scammers these days.

We read often about someone getting suckered by some slick telemarketer. People - it's your own fault. Invest in caller ID. Screen your calls. Look at the caller ID and don't answer calls from out of the area; calls with an 800 thru 877 area code; Private Caller; Wireless caller; or things like Livingthemoment; Oregon (the whole state is calling you?); a Transmission shop in Atlanta is calling people with Prudential for the caller ID. If you have family out of the area keep their numbers by the phone so you don't miss their calls. If you stop answering telemarketing calls sooner or later they will reduce in number and almost stop. I went from four to six calls a day to less than three a month by following this advice. The Do Not Call List does not work as shady telemarketers get your number from it. The Federal Trade Commission will help but you need documentation. Robo calls troll for good numbers they can sell. Look first and answer later.

soapy_725
soapy_725 03/06/13 - 09:49 am
Do not call is a waste of time. So is the "no junk mail" list.

Every mail box gets a set. Junk mail is all that is keeping the USPS in business.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 03/06/13 - 12:41 pm
What is really, really

What is really, really annoying are the cell phone calls. I'm convinced they are all working from prison. You just can't hurt their feelings enough to get them to stop calling you. I've started putting them on my contact list, so I don't take their calls. They are listed No1, No2, etc.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 03/06/13 - 01:50 pm
@ Rebellious

Thanks. Hope there is a meet-up for lunch or something sometime. You're one I'd like to know.

CG? You and KSL ever think about doing something like that any more?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/06/13 - 02:03 pm
I do not answer my home phone

I do not answer my home phone nor my cellphone unless I recognize the number. If it is important, they will leave a message and I will call back.

75% of the time that I google the unfamiliar phone #, it pops up on an annoyance call list somewhere. I assume the other 25% are wrong numbers.

Darby
32055
Darby 03/07/13 - 09:07 pm
IAD, I'll go you one better. If they leave me.....

voice mail on my cell, I don't check that either. People who know me can text me. People who don't know me are probably looking for something from me. Does that make me anti-social?

Adam Bomb
Adam Bomb 03/11/13 - 07:26 am
Another comment to add.

It's simply not right that some of us pay for home phone service "in case the lids call" or something like that, but the phone is mainly used by telemarketers and scammers. Like the other poster said, if you type the calling phone number into Google you'll find that most of them have multiple complaints. One particularly nasty one is called Amer***n Home Serve. Been in trouble in three states but still they keep calling and sending junk mail trying to get you to buy water line insurance and other nonsense insurance policies that they never pay. Do you have insurance on the underground water line from the meter to your house? Do you need it? Know anybody that has it? See where I'm going on this. A group of us are working with the FTC to get this company banned in Georgia too. Scammers - the plague of the Earth.