Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man says he was attacked with hammer

A man told police he was attacked with a hammer as he went to pick up his grandchildren Saturday.

According to a Richmond Coun­ty sheriff’s report, the 36-year-old said Demetrius Andrew Mack, 25, attacked him for no reason at Mack’s home on Mundy Road.

The victim said he was able to block one blow with his forearm, but another blow glanced off the left side of his head. The two fought, but when Mack became free he ran off, busting out the rear window of the victim’s 2012 Chevrolet Malibu as he fled, the report said.

The victim refused medical treatment but told police he wants to press charges.

Darby
Darby 03/03/13 - 01:27 am
What, how did he get a hammer...

without a background check?

wribbs
wribbs 03/03/13 - 08:04 am
How can we continue to let

How can we continue to let this insanity go on? We have to do something, for the children.

A background check before purchasing this hammer could have prevented a deranged lunatic from acquiring the hammer. There should also be limits on the size of the hammer, nobody needs a hammer bigger than 5 ounces. How long was the handle? Would these hammer toting maniacs please explain to me why anyone needs an eight inch handle on a hammer. How many hammers did the attacker have? Has he been allowed to stockpile hammers? Did the hammer have a rubber grip? Rubber grips allow the user to hold onto the hammer tighter and swing it harder, thus creating more carnage. I'd also be willing to bet he bought this hammer at a tool show using the tool show loophole. Was the attacker wearing carpenter pants with a loop on the leg that allowed him to carry the hammer concealed until he drew it to attack?

All of these things must be dealt with for the children.

Adam Bomb
Adam Bomb 03/03/13 - 08:57 am
I wish the staff reporters spoke proper English.

They say he "busted" out the window. The correct way to say it is he "broke" out the window. No wonder it's so hard to understand people these days.

grinder48
grinder48 03/03/13 - 09:21 am
Dumbing Down

Adam Bomb - The poor writing of AC staff - so often seen - is a consequence of the dumbing down of our schools ... let 'em out, prepared or not. As more and more of our young people enter the work force, we see more and more effects of dumbing down. It's evident throught AC text.

Shortcomment
Shortcomment 03/03/13 - 09:55 am
Warning!!!!

Grammar Police!
Everyone take cover. Hide your keyboards, Open your dictionaries, try to be calm and look innocent. Or just read the article and enjoy it.

Its the readers choice.

happychimer
happychimer 03/03/13 - 11:58 am
I say busted, over yonder,

I say busted, over yonder, ain't,wait till the cows come home, and other Southern sayings. and I ain't gonna change! I hope the victim does press charges.

Darby
Darby 03/03/13 - 12:21 pm
Shouldn't that be.....

I hope the victim "do" press charges.

Fits, don't it? (Just goin' along to git along.)

jhmooney1
jhmooney1 03/03/13 - 02:06 pm
36? 25?

So, which age was he? 36, 25?

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/03/13 - 03:57 pm
Either my post this morning

Either my post this morning around 8:30am was never published, removed, or I really needed that second cup of coffee this morning.

I made a comment concerning the 36 year old victim picking up his "grandchildren" at the home of the 25 year old suspect and wondered if actually it should have said children. I just find it difficult to justify (not that it isn't possible) for a 36 year old to have grandchildren.

Fail to see where any of my comment would have been reason to pull and checked email and didn't see a nasty gram so maybe it was just a lack of coffee and thought I posted.

Dixieman
Dixieman 03/03/13 - 04:44 pm
5000000 POINTS

36 year old grandpa? Oh, yeah, entirely possible in this day and age.
Adam Bomb was right. What you say casually in conversation is NOT what should be written in a newspaper where we expect better and more formal diction.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/04/13 - 10:48 am
Could someone please explain

Could someone please explain why two of my post on this article has been removed. I asked a simple question, no personal attack, no harassment, no obscene language, comment relating to article, nothing inappropriate. No email explaining why the comments have been removed.......Sean, could someone please explain. Thank you.

**Edit**

Thanks for putting my second comment back up.

KSL
KSL 03/03/13 - 10:26 pm
Right Dixieman

People wanting to go into journalism used to have to be proficient in English language and grammar.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 03/04/13 - 10:58 am
@ ICL

I didn't see your first comment. I don't think it actually posted. I don't know why your second was removed.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/04/13 - 10:03 pm
Don't know either Sean. It

Don't know either Sean. It posted because I saw the comment. Came back that afternoon and it was gone. That's when I posted the second comment which was zapped almost right away. Thanks for checking into this.....must have been one of those computer glitches.