Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man pleads guilty to child molestation

Monday, Feb. 25, 2013 1:20 PM
Last updated 7:09 PM

An Augusta man whose crime was concealed for years pleaded guilty in Rich­mond Coun­ty Superior Court to child molestation Mon­day.

Freeman B. Ashley Jr., 22, was sentenced to 15 years in prison and 15 years of probation for two counts of child molestation. Chief Judge J. Carlisle Overstreet accepted the plea deal that reduced the charge from aggravated child molestation and set the punishment.

Ashley was arrested in Oc­to­ber for molesting a girl for years, starting in 2006 when she was about 7 years old.

my.voice
my.voice 02/25/13 - 02:11 pm
Thats a long time to be a

Thats a long time to be a marked man behind bars brother. I hope PC was part of your deal.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/25/13 - 02:21 pm
Two Counts?

The perp would have been about 15 years old when the offenses were committed. Why shouldn't he be sentenced under juvenile justice guidelines?

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 02/25/13 - 02:30 pm
Most likely he was waived to

Most likely he was waived to the adult system...which is provided in GA law for a charge of child molestation when the accused is 15.

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 02/25/13 - 03:56 pm
PC?

Okay, I live under a rock, maybe. PC ?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 02/25/13 - 08:09 pm
Prisoners don't take kindly

Prisoners don't take kindly to molesters and woman abusers. Protective custody is the only way he isn't beaten or killed; not to mention just the overall disturbance his presence causes. I don't much care what happens to him, but he wasn't sentenced to death.

KSL
KSL 02/25/13 - 08:54 pm
LL

The article says the molestation started in 2006. It didn't say when it ended.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 02/25/13 - 09:13 pm
That's a good point, too,

That's a good point, too, KSL. I missed the "years" part ....even though one incident at 15 could have got him to adult court as well.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/25/13 - 10:33 pm
Two Counts

Yeah, KSL, I read that. But I was responding to the "two counts" thing. I know that he may have committed two hundred offenses, but when you plead guilty, they drop a large number of counts.

WAG
WAG 02/26/13 - 07:36 am
Who really cares how old he

Who really cares how old he is ? He is a pervert whether he be 15 or 45 he knew better. Should have been charged for the animal he is..who care what happens to him in prison. He needs to die. My worry is about the child. She will never be the same. Changed who she was....Stole her childhood!

my.voice
my.voice 02/26/13 - 07:58 am
PC=Protective Custody.

PC=Protective Custody.

myfather15
myfather15 02/26/13 - 08:46 am
Now, I'm not comparing this

Now, I'm not comparing this incident to homosexuality, but on several articles about homosexuality, people on the left keep saying "Where are the Christians, or conservatives on issues like adultry, molestation, etc."

Well, here I am; this piece of filth needed MUCH more time in prison. I believe Jessica's Law (25 to life) should be implemented in ALL child molestation cases; if we truly want to protect our children.

Now, let me be clear before people jump on me; homosexuality between consenting adults should NOT be criminal, period. The only reason I stated this the way I did is because we are accused of ignoring cases such as this and ONLY going after homosexuality. I want it to be clear, I'm fervantly against child molestation. I'm also against adultry, but just as with homosexuality, it shouldn't be criminal. Thats between the parties involved and their loved ones. I'm also against polygamy and beastiality, just for the record.

TO BLESSED32
TO BLESSED32 02/27/13 - 11:10 pm
Think before you comment

Some people need to think before you comment, nobody knows what really happen with this young man for y'all to say he needs to be killed or whatever is just wrong! Many men are sitting behind bars for something that they didn't do,for fast young lady's that lie about their age. Is it the man that's wrong! What do we have to start ID people that we are in a relationship with? If you don't have the right lawyer to fight for you in court many more will turn out just like this young man! If you don't have the facts on a case don't believe everything you hear or read.

TO BLESSED32
TO BLESSED32 02/27/13 - 11:28 pm
Just Because

Just because you plead guilty don't always mine you are. He was width her supposedly in 2006 when both are kids then what's the point of lying . Tell the truth just as this man did,some don't even do that.

gandl2123
gandl2123 01/09/14 - 11:53 am
It will make you sick if you are involved....in the system.

In 1992 a person running for president (senator ???) gets a law passed giving money to the states to prosecute child molesters and put money to the attorneys and judges hands so they can prosecute...since then the numbers of our men who have been put behind bars have skyrocketed. A women, minor or adult can just say he touched me and Wham, you are behind bars, lost your job, lost home and that is even before trial. Where is the AUTOMATIC protection of persons who the state and federal government know are in danger in their custody. Aren't you supposed to take care of people in your custody. If anything happens to a prisoner who they knew would have a rough time in prison and may even be innocent, the government should have their [filtered word] sued off. Let a teenager in juvenile custody in a state get hurt or killed, there is hell to pay. Why should an adult in our prison system get any less. This is not Iraq or Afghanistan... Also, I think ALL ACCUSERS of a child molester should have to take a lie detector test to show if they are being deceptive. If they don't breeze through the test, charges are dropped. We are prosecuting men and putting them behind bars for years and maybe death for the say of one person. That is just wrong. Kill someone, you will have to have evidence of the gun, a motive a witness etcc...get accused of molestation which is easy as a wife pulling the rape card on you...wham, you are gone just because a woman gets on the stands and tells how hurt and damaged they are. What if they are lying and there is no evidence....don't matter, 12 jury members feel for her, your up the river, lost your life, literally. Wait until some of you so called humans, making your little "lynch-em" mentality statements get caught up in it.... I have to believe that some of you have distant relatives from the past that would have hunted down a woman in Salem and hung her for witchcraft and maybe hung a black man for looking at a white woman in the past. Shame on you, shame on you all for your self-righteous ways of thinking.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...