Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta woman facing child cruelty charges

Wednesday, Feb. 20, 2013 12:09 PM
Last updated 9:54 PM

An Augusta woman is facing child cruelty charges after police said she repeatedly struck a friend’s son with a plastic bat.

Julia Baitmon, 21, was booked into the Richmond County jail on charges of first-degree child cruelty  SPECIAL
SPECIAL

According to an incident report, the 6-year-old boy’s mother noticed her son walking abnormally Tuesday after returning home from staying at the suspect’s home on Laney-Walker Boulevard.

The mother told police the suspect, Julia Baitmon, had the victim’s three brothers hold him down while she hit him multiple times on the upper legs and buttocks with a plastic bat. Investigators found visible injuries on the child.

Baitmon, 21, was booked into the Richmond County jail on charges of first-degree child cruelty.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/20/13 - 01:35 pm
Three of his brothers hold

Three of his brothers hold down there 6 year old brother while this woman beats him with a plastic bat....... SMH .......seriously don't know what to say.

The emotional damage for this small child. My siblings and I might have fought growing up but never did they intentionally abuse me and no way would they have allowed anyone else to.

harley_52
harley_52 02/20/13 - 02:43 pm
She Should Be....

....held down by three large men, while another one wails on her with a plastic bat until she can't walk.

Then tried for child abuse and endangerment.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 02/20/13 - 03:39 pm
Not only that...

but the three brother's need to have a can of whoopass opened on them too!

Jake
Jake 02/20/13 - 04:06 pm
Uncle Bud

When I was 4, my uncle in south Georgia held me upside down by one leg over a well. Still vividly remember it. I wonder what would happen if someone did that now?
In regards to the above story, if I was one of the brothers then I would be looking over my shoulder a lot when at home.

soapy_725
soapy_725 02/20/13 - 04:51 pm
It is the culture brought over by their ancestors.

This was on PBS. First the beatings. Then the trip down to the beach to meet the ships. Hello evil Anglo Saxons. Then on to a by invitation only world cruise.

No crime here. Move on.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/20/13 - 05:20 pm
Seriously, a thumbs down for

Seriously, a thumbs down for my comments......really TSD, you have a sick perspective if you find what I wrote to be worth a thumbs down.

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 02/20/13 - 06:42 pm
Child Protective Services....Hello ??

Child Protective Services needs to investigate this. The mother of the four boys, needs to explain WHY her sons were over @ Abuser's house. If she was babysitting, then the mom needs to rethink her childcare choice. Also, I agree, the three brothers had better watch their back. The Abuser goes to JAIL, and does not pass "GO". Mom needs to have a discussion with her sons about what is right and what is wrong. Being told to "hold down" your little brother, will NEVER be done again, or you will get the can of whoopass opened on your butt. The correct answer is NO, I will NOT hold my little brother down. I like Harley's answer, and I'll volunteer to hold her down.

Workers comp for staff kickball injury?

COLUMBIA - Have you ever been hurt in a company softball or kickball game? The South Carolina Supreme Court says you may be entitled to workers' compensation.