Crime & Courts Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Credit union warns of information scam

Monday, Feb. 11, 2013 2:46 PM
Last updated 6:59 PM

University Health Federal Credit Union is warning Richmond County residents of a scam seeking personal information.

CEO Randy Weed said the scammers started calling people Friday claiming to be a representative of the institution. By Saturday, they had moved to text messages.

Weed said it’s the third time the credit union has been hit by the scam. Already several customers have become victims by giving out personal information.

“It’s frustrating,” said Weed.

The credit union asks that no one verify or give account information over the phone, text message or e-mail. Officials are now working with service providers to get numbers traced to find the scammers.

Mommyof3
Mommyof3 02/11/13 - 03:20 pm
Got a text couple of text

Got a text couple of text messages from these scammers on Saturday. I'm not even a member of the Credit Union.

gargoyle
gargoyle 02/11/13 - 06:47 pm
Got that text today and

Got that text today and saturday

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 02/11/13 - 08:31 pm
I got 2 today

1 on my personal cell and 1 on my work cell

bumblebeerose
bumblebeerose 02/12/13 - 05:53 am
Just wondering

Could they use a persons info that has passed away?

happychimer
happychimer 02/12/13 - 12:42 pm
Banks don't call you or email

Banks don't call you or email you to get personal info from you.If you do get a call, it is not from a real bank.

BamaMan
BamaMan 02/12/13 - 12:43 pm
Scam

I got a strange text message Saturday myself. I sent it to the trash bin, think I'll go back and look. I'm not a member of the credit union either.

happychimer
happychimer 02/12/13 - 12:45 pm
When a person passes away,

When a person passes away, their social security number is retired.

r
r 02/12/13 - 10:38 pm
Crazy

My daughters phone was part of this scam they called 15 times in 3 days and sent 5 text messages. They ask for your credit card number she doesn't have one !!!!

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/13/13 - 02:14 pm
Yep, got 2 text messages on

Yep, got 2 text messages on Monday and the wife's phone got them about 2 minutes later. Neither of us are credit union members. The messages said our credit cards had been blocked and to call a phone number to get them unblocked. I filed complaints on all four messages with the Federal Communications Commission (fcc.gov) and the Federal Trade Commission (ftc.gov). They probably won't even look at them but it's about the only thing you can do.

Hot water over muddy water issue

The local government has been focused on muddy water, hot water and fire trucks that leak water all week leading up to Valentine’s Day.