Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta man pleads guilty to fraud, identity theft

An Augusta man admitted Thursday he stole nearly $200,000 from the dead and their families, an elderly boss and people too ill or infirm to care for themselves, including disabled veterans.

Bryant K. Evans Webb, 44  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Bryant K. Evans Webb, 44

Bryant K. Evans Webb, 44, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court to charges of wire fraud, bank fraud and aggravated identity theft. Two criminal counts were dropped in exchange for the guilty plea, but Webb agreed to make full restitution to all of the victims in his latest round of thievery.

Richmond County Sheriff Investigator Michael Lanham, who worked with federal agents on Webb’s case, testified Thursday that he has known Webb for years. After Webb’s release from a state prison in 2007, Webb found work at Peebles Funeral Home. He started out doing menial chores but convinced the 92-year-old owner to let him run the home. That’s when he found prepaid funeral services and insurance policies.

The money was supposed to pay for all funeral expenses and any money left over would be given the deceased’s family. According to court documents, before Lanham arrested Webb in 2011, Webb stole more than $94,000.

The detective testified that after Webb was released on bond on the state charges, he got a job at Mother and Daughter Personal Care Home. Within a few months, Webb was running the home, Lanham said, and helping himself to the bank accounts of the residents.

Lanham learned about Webb’s activities at the home when one resident’s VA representative called him to report money had been taken from her client’s bank account, a disabled veteran. There were several other victims at the home and even the mother of another long-term resident whom Webb convinced to send money by saying her son owed $30,000 in back taxes.

Webb, who plead guilty to his involvement in both cases Thursday, has been in and out of prison for short periods since 1989. Before the latest charges, he had 15 felony convictions.

All federal prison sentences are served without parole. Although rarely does a criminal defendant in federal court face the maximum penalty, bank fraud is punishable by a sentence up to 30 years, and wire fraud is punishable up to 20 years. Aggravated identity theft has a mandatory two-year consecutive sentence.

A sentencing date has not been set, and until then, Webb is being held without bond.

“He chose his victims based on their apparent inability to discover he was robbing them blind,” U.S. Magistrate Judge W. Leon Barfield wrote in ordering Webb’s detention in November.

“He did so cold-heartedly, repeatedly and without any sense of empathy whatsoever for his victims.”

dickworth1
dickworth1 01/31/13 - 09:10 pm
Another Con

I surely hope no one believes he will make restitution to these folks. If
he says so, then everyone needs to be very careful around him because
I am sure he will steal from others to make restitution.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/31/13 - 11:10 pm
With any luck, he'll get

With any luck, he'll get Judge Overstreet and get sentenced to running the Widow's & Orphan's Home.

dichotomy
31960
dichotomy 01/31/13 - 11:13 pm
15 felony convictions prior

15 felony convictions prior to this. Please explain to me why 3 strikes and you get a life sentence with no chance for parole is not the best idea anyone has every had. We should be shipping folks like this off to the permanent penitentiary by the boxcar loads every day.

I am tired of all of the whining about how many people whe have in prison. They are in prison because they ruined someone else's life. I DON'T CARE. I DON'T CARE IF THEY ARE NON-VIOLENT. Build more prisons. Prison space is cheaper when you buy in bulk.

Darby
Darby 01/31/13 - 11:24 pm
Willow Bailey...

You nailed that one....

Darby
Darby 01/31/13 - 11:29 pm
"Build more prisons. Prison.....

...space is cheaper when you buy in bulk."

I agree but only to a point. Make the prisons more like those of Sheriff Joe in Arizona. Tents with dirt floors, minimum rations, no air conditioning and barbed wire all around.

We do need to consider the taxpayer, don't you know??

bumblebeerose
bumblebeerose 02/01/13 - 03:56 am
Just My Thought's

Darby
Agreed we do need to consider the taxpayers, so how about this

All the people that are in prison will need to go to work. When I say go to work they will need to grow their own food and tend the cows and hogs for food as well. They will get paid miniumn wage. That way no one can complain their Civil Rights were violated (Which if you are in jail you should have none).
Now out of that they will have to pay the following
Federal/State Taxes
Room and Board
Medical Insurance
Food
Buy their own Personal Items (soap and those things)
Any money left over will go to pay any restitution they are ordered to pay or any other things they have to pay like child support or the such.

In doing this you can hire more guards and put more unemployed people to work to watch them.

Sorry if this hurts any ones feelings.

Jane18
Jane18 02/01/13 - 07:13 am
A Sorry, Low-Down Fellow

This guy is the person we always heard "would still the pennies off a dead man's eyes".

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 02/01/13 - 08:12 am
Any Touchy-Feely Liberals out there

that want to offer a 16th chance?

While I generally don't agree with the broad wording of many 3 strikes laws. Because such laws continue to be applied to non-Violeint crimes. Like California, which fill up prisons with NON-Violent types. Resulting wide ranging court ordered early releases of all types of criminals.

But In This Case
Given hind sight, we know that the guy is not willing to mend his ways.

We really need to bring back self funded Prison Farms.

BTW: To his next Warden.
Don't let him keep the books like Andy Dufresne did for Warden Norton.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 02/01/13 - 07:55 am
Thief

This man is clearly a thief and should be punished, but proportionality must be weighed. The victims of this crime have been injured but in proportion to the folks who brought Wall Street to it's knees in 2007-8, this pales. Punish him but in proportion to the crime. Three strikes does not allow judges to make common sense judgments.

But, if he had stolen from me or my family_____(fill in the blank).

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/01/13 - 09:24 am
See

It still is possible to rob and steal without an AR-15. $200,000 shows it is more profitable than a few dollar take of a Japanese restaurant.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/01/13 - 09:32 am
Crime what crime

We don't have any crime....let us pretend crime NEVER happens......duh duh .......some will lower the boom because we even post about this crap......we are stupid for NOT demanding MORE police & stiffer laws....while our dear politicians worry about tv time...we get to worry about this.

soapy_725
soapy_725 02/01/13 - 10:24 am
What percentage of inmates are rehabilitated?

Or what percentage of inmates are repeat offenders? Penal Systems do not work. Prisons do not make model citizens. Insanity is defined as doing the same identical thing over and over and expecting a different result. Anti social behavior must be eliminated from civilized society.

It is time to build a 25 foot wall around Detroit and send the convicts there for life. Let them practice their "culture" in a confined space. Living off of each other.

mixacct
mixacct 02/01/13 - 03:40 pm
I was a victim of this man!

My son was killed in November of 2011, just before Webb was terminated from the funeral home. Yes he prayed on my vulnerability as having just lost my only child, and through my devastation, he convinced to me to pay him cash, and more cash. This all came to my attention on Feb 15th of 2012, when the funeral home notified me that no payments had been posted on my son's funeral. I had receipts for over $4000, yet the bill at the funeral home was only $1441.I also found out he had given me the wrong ashes. The panick attack this man caused nearly cost me my life as well. As I left the Investigator's office grief overcame me. I had a triple head on collision, and was not expected to survive the accident. This is the day I survived for. Praise God he is not preying on any one else's grief!!!

bubbasauce
20573
bubbasauce 02/01/13 - 04:07 pm
Once a thief, always a

Once a thief, always a thief. Put him in for life this time and be done with this filthy predator!

bubbasauce
20573
bubbasauce 02/01/13 - 04:07 pm
Once a thief, always a

judycares
judycares 02/01/13 - 06:47 pm
I, too had the opportunity to

I, too had the opportunity to be taken in by this scam artist. He is the quintessential con man. It is a part of who he is whether he wants it to be or not. I do not believe he can change, even if he wants to. He must be kept out of society for the benefit of society. Please, please, please give him the absolutely maximum sentences for each and every crime and let them run consequeutively so he will never get out in his natural life.

And, I agree with the person who posted that he will never pay retitution. How can he from prison? It is just another con that he agrees to pay restitution.

Please, lock him up and throw away the key!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 02/01/13 - 07:07 pm
I blame the judges

This man had no buisness being on the street in the first place!

corgimom
corgimom 02/02/13 - 02:09 pm
Bumblebeerose, many prisons

Bumblebeerose, many prisons have work programs. They don't get minimum wage and do not deserve to.

Even if they worked 24 hours a day, they couldn't pay for their incarceration costs, let alone anything else. It costs way more than $64 per day to incarcerate someone.

Some prisons do have farms, but they are very expensive to run and don't pay for themselves. They don't do much of it anymore because it's cheaper not to. They also have to have people that know what they are doing, not many people have farm experience anymore. And some places just aren't suitable for farming.

Prisoners already have to buy their personal items unless they are indigent, then they get just the basics. Lots of them are indigent and for most of them, the initial family support slacks off. For health and safety reasons, they need all of their inmates clean and shaven and groomed.

Not all of them are able to work, most people that come into prison have multiple health problems and are physically sick, or are mentally ill. Some of them are old, some of them are too infirm, criminals lead very stressful lives and it ages them prematurely.

damejacqueline
damejacqueline 02/04/13 - 05:41 pm
I bet he made the "Floor"

I bet he made the "Floor" many times over at his church.