Westside student charged with sexual battery

Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2013 12:51 PM
Last updated 8:51 PM

Student arrested for sexual battery

A Westside High School student was arrested Monday and charged with sexual battery for pulling down the shirt of a female student and exposing her breasts during a physical education class.

According to a Richmond County Board of Education incident report, the girl was walking around the gym doing laps when she stopped to talk to a group of students on Friday.

Austin Robertson, 18, then asked if anyone wanted “to see a peep show,” according to the report. He pulled the top of her shirt down, along with her bra, exposing her breasts to other students.

Robertson is suspended pending a tribunal hearing with the school system. He was arrested Monday evening at the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office.

– From staff reports

Farmboy
Farmboy 01/29/13 - 01:20 pm
Not the brightest apple in the basket..

Some people just don't get it...kind of sad.

my.voice
my.voice 01/29/13 - 01:54 pm
Great way to begin your adult

Great way to begin your adult life. I'm betting there is a daddy somewhere that's not too happy with you bro.

john
john 01/29/13 - 02:35 pm
at last

they finally arrested the fool instead of just letting the tribunal handle it. I have two daughers, Im sure he is probably safer in custody.

showboat
showboat 01/29/13 - 03:18 pm
I am glad they him not me,

I am glad they him not me, because i would have beat the h@@@@ out of him!!!

tanbaby
tanbaby 01/29/13 - 04:12 pm
if that had been me, he would

if that had been me, he would have hit the floor squealing like a you know what...and wouldn't have ever had to worry about fathering any children...which from the sounds of it, would be a good thing....we have enough idiots in the world....

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/29/13 - 04:48 pm
I'm soooo sorry. Let me put it another way:

@ My.voice: I couldn't help but to disagree more.

But yes, there's nothing like jumping into adulthood with a record for sexual assault or battery, even if so richly deserved.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/29/13 - 05:14 pm
And for the record,

My daughter once attended Westside--relatively briefly because of just this sort of disgusting behavior by so many of the students, both male and female. Fortunately, the worst she ever got was an elbow in the throat by a neanderthal who thought it would be funny to do that to her.

Her father had to be restrained, even with Tim Spivey addressing the behavior himself. The sweet, little NEA-programmed teacher just didn't think it was a big deal.

If my child had been the victim of this week's record loser, his momma would still be trying to find all the pieces of him. I hope this poor victim has older brothers.

soitgoes
soitgoes 01/29/13 - 05:23 pm
The fix is...

just throw more money at the public school. NOT! Public schools don't need more money, they need LEADERSHIP and a school board that backs them up.

Grandpa Jones
Grandpa Jones 01/29/13 - 08:03 pm
....

Interesting when girl(s) pull down another girl's top for guys to see, there is no punishment but just a big laugh among everyone. Girls need to be punished just as severely as boys when they do this.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/29/13 - 09:58 pm
I am naive

I have never heard of the behavior Grandpa Jones described. Man, am I sheltered!

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/29/13 - 09:58 pm
If it was my daughter, well,

If it was my daughter, well, let's just say he would be a lot better off if they kept him in jail 5 to 10 for sexual assault. I know the law can't do it but somebody can fix him where he would never assault another woman.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/30/13 - 08:12 am
Since he was 18 years old

Since he was 18 years old will the COURTS get to keep him for Sexual Assault or will he get 2nd chanced and hide behind the RC-BOE Tribunal hearing process?

QUESTION :
What was the age of the female student.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/30/13 - 09:39 am
Grandpa....if the girls are

Grandpa....if the girls are flashing on their own accord, then they could be charged with indecent exposure (although I doubt the boys would complain), but there is no battery like in this case.

corgimom
corgimom 01/30/13 - 11:43 am
If a girl does that to

If a girl does that to another girl, it is assault. If the victim is a minor, and the parents don't want to press charges, no charges are filed. If the victim is over 18 and doesn't want to press charges, no charges are filed.

Now, Grandpa, isn't that simple?

whyme
2070
whyme 01/30/13 - 11:50 am
level of punishment

I'm all for having this fellow with extremely poor judgment and obvious lack of decency receive due punishment. I'd be livid if my child had to go through such a humiliating experience. But we need to make sure that the time fits the crime; don't get me wrong, I'm not wanting a break. Kind of like the kid with the BB gun gets the same punishment as if he had an assault weapon. All dangerous but needs to be appropriate.

Sweet son
Sweet son 01/30/13 - 11:58 am
soitgoes is partially right!

Leadership is paramount for a school to succeed but the biggest problem is the lack of material to work with. This is not the student's fault. It is the fault of the parents, the community, the churches and other resources for not instilling any morals or positive values in today's youth. Children who are raised by mama or grandmama with no sense of what a family is will fail even with all of the monies for programs that is thrown their way.

butterflygina
butterflygina 01/30/13 - 12:41 pm
What a sad situation. Im sure

What a sad situation. Im sure multiple people were embarassed. And if he is truly regretful and has to register as a sex-offender, even sadder. High schoolers better start thinking/acting as young responsible adults!

KSL
KSL 01/30/13 - 12:49 pm
corgi

Where do you get that Open Curtain thinks the way you interpreted his statements?

corgimom
corgimom 01/30/13 - 03:27 pm
"QUESTION : What was the age

"QUESTION :
What was the age of the female student.

If she was 16 or less and his tail-end needs an extended stay room Websters Hotel on Phinizy Road."

Meaning, if she's over 16, then it's not a crime. How else could that be interpreted?

corgimom
corgimom 01/30/13 - 03:32 pm
And I would also like to

And I would also like to point out that if he did this at the mall, or on a public street, there would be no question that it would be a sexual assault, and nobody would care how old his victim is. Nobody would even think of asking how old the VICTIM was.

There are people that seem to think that all the rules of society and behavior are suspended just because events happen at a school, and that is not true. It is that thinking that has led to the terrible problems in our schools today. You would think that people would know better by now. Criminal behavior is criminal behavior, nobody gets a free pass just because they are in a school.

aubaug
aubaug 01/30/13 - 05:31 pm
Several questions

First of all, this is a physical education CLASS. 1. Why were students standing around talking? 2. The girl taking laps may have been doing so for a reason: Not dressing for class, not participating, etc. 3. Who is TEACHING, this class? Not sitting at a table, or on the bleachers...TEACHING a skill with a culminating activity to follow. 4. Who is brave enough to pull the lesson plan of this teacher? Many of these incidents could be avoided if the teacher acts in a professional manner. Students will act in accordance to the situation at hand. This 18 year old did. Obviously, there was no structure in this environment?

However, this 18 year old was brought up without being taught a moral code and his fellow students must be on guard. There are many like him around our children everyday in the public school system and in society. Let's hope our judicial system can finally do the right thing and safeguard our innocent children. ALL teachers must do the same!

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/30/13 - 09:22 pm
GA has a SEX laws that deal differently with

Acts between Adults and between Adults against Minors.

Ga also has a laws that classifies Sexual assaults of a <16? differently than 16? and above.

Hence the reason for the question.
No non-linear thought system need be applied. ☺

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen