Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman charged with arson in North Augusta

A 46-year-old woman is accused of using turpentine to start a fire that destroyed a North Augusta house Friday.

Carrie Knotts, of the 1000 block of Long Leaf Court, was charged with felony arson, Lt. Tim Thornton of North Augusta Public Safety said in a news release.

The fire started shortly before 1 p.m. Friday and firefighters from more than six departments spent three hours battling the flames, Thornton said. The home was completely engulfed when first responders arrived.

Knotts was arrested at the scene and held at the Aiken County Detention Center on Friday night.

North Augusta Public Safety and the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division investigated the fire.

thauch12
thauch12 01/26/13 - 01:21 am
This gets me all fired up...

Remind me never to get this lady fired up...

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/26/13 - 10:24 am
No passing grade on story.

Okay. So, what home; whose home did she destroy? What led to her arrest? Did she confess on the scene? Was she standing there with a can of turpentine in her hand? Did she put it on facebook? What?

pommom38
pommom38 01/26/13 - 10:42 am
Willow

it was her own home.
Neighbors (who called 911) told the police the woman (owner of home) came out of the house, told them she had started the fire so they may as well call 911.
She then apparently stood calmly just watching her house burn.
Upon first cop arriving, she told them to cuff her.
I felt bad for the firefighters, trying to battle a full on blaze and no fire hydrant around.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/26/13 - 10:54 am

Thank you for the story, pommom.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/26/13 - 11:56 am
11:00 News

I may have misunderstood, but on the 11:00 News last night I thought the news reader said that she was being evicted. I just assumed she was a tenant. Do they call it eviction if you are a mortagee who is being foreclosed?

Realnews123
Realnews123 01/26/13 - 12:45 pm
She moved there with her

She moved there with her family when she was bout 12. She's lived there for bout past 7 years with her parents, but her dad died bout year ago. Her mom left in ambulance bout 2 weeks ago for reasons that r too personal to post. Carrie wanted to go but had no money, as her mom had it. She did reach out for help to leave, was alone, but won't say the circumstances that surrounded it. She was child like. She really needed help. A lot of bad memories in that house for her.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/26/13 - 01:18 pm
Sad

Thanks for filling in some blanks, Realnews. It sounds like a sad situation for Ms. Knotts. I pray for her. I hope some family services agency can help her whenever she is released. Are you aware of anything the public can do?

Realnews123
Realnews123 01/26/13 - 01:49 pm
Little lamb...that's what

Little lamb...that's what she's been praying and asking for. She does have her probs...just as anyone, but maybe...well...sometimes more than others. But when she's right...u wanna talk bout an awesome personality and someone that will help anyone IF she can? That's her. She has disability...which as anyone knows...is just bout nothing... and when she gets out...help from the public would best b served by helping her establish a life outside that home. I know she would b so grateful knowing that one person cares enough bout her...a stranger???...that's just amazing, little lamb. It's a sad, sad situation. IMHO...with the way she was acting...like a very scared child...I think she was just burning down all the bad memories in that "haunted house" as she called it. Not being able to get out bc her money wasn't accessible, left there with no money, in that child-like state...it appeared to b the 12 yo burning down the house she grew up in.

pommom38
pommom38 01/26/13 - 02:47 pm
While

your support of her is commendable, the background being reported on this woman signals a mass of problems.
If they are true, then she should never have been out of doctors care to start this fire.
The justice system as well as the healthcare system fails the people yet again.

Realnews123
Realnews123 01/26/13 - 05:00 pm
Pommom, where r u finding the

Pommom, where r u finding the background info? I can't find anything and I've been trying to look myself. What a community we live in with posts fr ppl in the community posting things like this ...http://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151296560793159&id=372777548158&set=a.373077023158.157653.372777548158&refid=17

Got news for all these mean ppl and supposed professional addicts...PPL START USING DRUGS TO GET RID OF THEIR REAL EMOTIONAL PAIN! Not an excuse. Just the reason behind the use. And pretty sure u gotta have money to buy these drugs, don't u??? No! She was not on drugs! She had no money to get any! And noones been down there to give her any drugs! She's "sick". She needed help and begged for it. But let all talk bout these victims when I know what happened when she reached out. And what was told.

r
r 01/26/13 - 10:48 pm
Pray for the whole family

The whole family needs our prayers and there are many victims in this story. We all should Pray the house is gone and now a family needs to heal.

Realnews123
Realnews123 01/26/13 - 06:46 pm
Yes. I've been exactly there

Yes. I've been exactly there in past plenty of times and I gave up too. Same ole not listening and wouldn't get help. Agreed to it, then wouldn't agree. Would have everything all set up. Wasting endless hours on it when I should have invested my time into something else. But this time was different. Maybe u were round these past 2 weeks. Idk. I told myself I wasn't gonna b back in the same cycle that I've been doing for years. But this was different. The officer that arrested her, I think it was last week, saw her wandering round the neighborhood completely lost and he told us that she def needed help. And was gonna take her. But she hada break the law n cuss at him...which I'm sure she's cussed at u too. He said it was out of his hands after she broke the law and that he had to arrest her and couldn't take her to Aurora. He felt bad bout it. But hada follow protocol. But he was very trained to see that she was very mentally ill. And i mean very. Like i said, he was very nice to her. Bc she needed someone to b nice to her and help her and he knew it. I have never seen such a compassionate officer in my life but I'm glad to have him in my community.
I researched online and not once did I find anybody doing anything, not in the least on marajuana. And she has never been this child-like, jerking...as if her brain was misfiring. Hallucinating. Hearing things. I'm not here to judge her. And anything that I have to say is out of respect for her being just so mentally ill. And yes. She didnt have any money. I'm sure she's never gone without, but she did after they took her Mom. Bc her mom was in control of her money and had no access to it. Sounds like she burned bridges with u. And from the posts of Facebook...a lot of ppl there too. Had I not seen the difference...there's no way I would have helped in the little bit of what I could do. If u were round the last cpl weeks, u couldn't see the difference? And if u were, my apologies...bc everyone has a right to their opinion. But u should have been able to see the difference if u were. I don't know u. And I'm not comin at u and if u wanna argue with me bout it, I'm not responding bc there's no point. All I know is I KNOW when someone is in TROUBLE AND SICK...to the point that they don't even know where they are...like the officer said. I know bout the threats to burn the house. But when she burnt that house...she was out there. And I think ur gonna find out that she really was...based on what the doctors might say...and hopefully she's in a mental institution. I hope she's not walking round not knowin where to go bc she's burnt those bridges. Bc quite frankly...that's exactly where she wanted to go. And knew it bc the girl though the tv and radio were talking to her as well. Even tho she's been a life long addict...drugs were not involved this time. Hopefully they'll do drug tests to prove this fact. And I'm saying this bc of her daughter. Bc although she may have been very selfish in the past...I think it would b a lot of therapy for her daughter to know she didnt mean or possibly know what she was doing...based on what the officer said. That her mom is just a sick lady and she needs mental help. And then...hopefully...she can get the help she needs...wanted or not...and can finally BE the mom she needs to b. and that will only benefit her daughter. I just hope if she's in a me tap hospital right now that they FORCE this help on her, bc her probs r not all drugs...and then the mother and daughter can finally have what they both need in life. Her daughter is reading a lot of these things and I'm sure is very embarrassed. It's her MOM ppl r saying things bout in a mean way. Don't u think that's a reflection on her? I do. But, idk how her daughter feels. But I can only imagine... And I wish nothing but the best for both. And for everyone involved. Everyone can only benefit from the help. Without it, they're all at a loss of what could b something wonderful.

r
r 01/28/13 - 11:02 pm
realnews123

I have no clue who you are and I was very upset at her when this first happened. Her family is at wits end and they are worried about her mother and her daughter, Carrie is in jail in Aiken I have no clue what the the limits are on visits. If you are a friend please go visit her if they allow you to. I agree she needs help but I can also feel for her family that I watch hurt that I care about as you care about her. I have seen what her illness has done to these people maybe at this point she is not in control but at some point she choose this life. I hope and pray for her family there is healing. I hope one day I can pray for her to heal but at this point I am not there. If you can help her and make a difference I hope it helps, I mean this with every bone in my body. I want this family to heal in whatever way God can help them heal. I pray many times a day and I hope if you mean what you say you do to. May God please and comfort all this family in there time of need.

Realnews123
Realnews123 01/29/13 - 05:28 pm
What I've done n the past cpl

What I've done n the past cpl weeks have worn me out. If I feel I have enough strength to help, I will. If this help is finally FORCED on her like shoulda been a very long time ago, and if I see a controlled mentally disabled person...b it mood stabilizers or what not....ill b there. But not if I see the same person, stuck down in the same co-dependent relationship. That goes deep. And it's bad. But not at the expense of my own family. Anymore. I'm sure u know what I'm talking bout. Uve prob done it too. If I see the same person, no way. I won't turn my back, but if I see the same person, oh yes I will. Only time will tell. When they get her RIGHT...i will go fr there. If they don't, no. There's work to b done for the whole family. They all have something to do. And what they need to do doesn't involve me. I've wisened up and really started to pay attn n...ppl r not meaning what they say or doing what they said. That's all I really wanna say bout it on here. It really turns my stomach to think bout it. And I've prob said too much

r
r 01/31/13 - 10:21 pm
realnews123

I am sorry for your pain. I am sorry if I hurt you with my statements. I hope she finds help and maybe jail will be her rock bottom to make her pull herself out. Her family needs prayers and heeling and I hope they find the will and the way. I also hope you if it is to painful you will get yourself out and not become part of it if it causes harm to you.

Realnews123
Realnews123 02/17/13 - 07:46 pm
Cloaed

Cloaed

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.