1 killed in Gordon Highway wreck

Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2013 6:46 AM
Last updated 2:38 PM
  • Follow Crime & courts

A 32-year-old Augusta man died in a single-vehicle crash at Gordon Highway and Deans Bridge Road on Wednesday morning.



Roderick Irving Quimbly, of the 3000 block of Spicewood Drive, was pronounced dead at Medical College of Georgia Hospital at 4:15 a.m. from blunt force trauma, according to Deputy Coroner Kenneth Boose.

Police said Quimbly was traveling west on Gordon Highway near Deans Bridge Road in a 2007 Nissan Altima when he drove off the road and hit a road sign and a utility pole, causing the vehicle to catch fire.

The fire was contained to the front end of the car.

Witnesses told deputies the vehicle was traveling at a high speed just before the crash.

The Richmond County Sheriff’s Office accident reconstruction team was called to the scene.

Comments (6) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
rmwhitley
5547
Points
rmwhitley 01/23/13 - 08:06 am
1
0
God bless
Unpublished

Mr. Quimbly's soul.

catawba7
319
Points
catawba7 01/23/13 - 11:37 am
0
8
Deans Bridge Rd, "death trap"

The city should look into redesigning Deans Bridge Rd. This road is a death and speed trap. Add more red lights, slower speed for cars and what about speed bumps? To many people die on this road yeary by auto and pedestrians. Maybe the do nothing commission should look into this...Oh, I forgot it's South Augusta, my bad. If you ain't stealing land nothing else matters.

ldbak
6
Points
ldbak 01/23/13 - 12:44 pm
4
0
this has nothing to do with

this has nothing to do with the design of that road what it amounts down to is all these crazy drivers I cant count the times that i have almost been hit in that area walking across gordon highway I have had people like deliberately switch lanes on me like they are trying to run over me so its the drivers not the design and if the deputies would stop laying up at mcdonalds there get out do their job and watch for these law breakers it wouldnt be so much going on here

Little Lamb
47847
Points
Little Lamb 01/23/13 - 01:51 pm
4
0
Correct

LDBak is correct. The Gordon Hwy. / Deans Bridge Rd. intersection is wide, has good signals, and good visibility. Driver error is the cause of 98% of the accidents and pedestrian error is the cause of the other 2%.

BamaMan
2622
Points
BamaMan 01/23/13 - 02:06 pm
3
0
Speed Bumps

You can't have speed bumps on a secondary road. If people would just obey traffic rules, we'd have few problems.

OpenCurtain
10049
Points
OpenCurtain 01/23/13 - 05:41 pm
3
0
That intersection is better

than 100's of others here in Augusta.
This is more likely a driver related issue.

harley_52
24867
Points
harley_52 01/24/13 - 04:07 pm
0
0
" If people would just obey traffic rules....

....we'd have few problems."

People choose not to obey laws because they don't fear the consequences of disobeying those laws.

If you want people to stop speeding, don't pass new laws...enforce the existing laws with stiff penalties for disobedience.

Ditto for gun laws, or any other laws.

Back to Top

Top headlines

Venue change sought in Aiken police slaying

Judge Clifton Newman told attorneys for Stephon Carter that a motion to move the venue or select jurors outside Aiken County was premature. Carter is accused of killing Public Safety Officer ...
Search Augusta jobs