Man sues Georgia for GAYGUY license tag

Tuesday, Jan. 22, 2013 7:45 AM
Last updated 8:08 PM

ATLANTA — An Atlanta man is suing the Georgia Department of Driver Services, contending that his rights were violated when the state rejected his application for vanity plates making reference to his sexual orientation.

James Cyrus Gilbert maintains in the lawsuit that state officials rejected his application for the tags 4GAYLIB, GAYPWR and GAYGUY.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that all three vanity plates are on the list of vanity plates banned by the state, although the state has approved plates expressing some political or religious expressions.

Gilbert said he wasn’t asking for a plate that was vulgar or “over the top.”

Representatives of the state Attorney General’s office, Georgia Department of Driver Services and the Department of Revenue, the agency that administers vanity plates, declined to comment on the lawsuit.

I'm Back Again
I'm Back Again 01/22/13 - 08:01 am
Well it's vulgar to me, so

Well it's vulgar to me, so I'll sue the state if they issue it to him. I shouldn't have to read about his lifestyle every time he drives past me. That would be like me having a tag that reads gaysuck! No pun intended.

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 01/22/13 - 08:22 am
There Are More Important Things

Give him the tag, if that is what he wants. I don't find any of them vulgar. If I was gay, I don't think personally, I'd want it, but there are more important things to be worrying about.

grinder48
2039
grinder48 01/22/13 - 08:58 am
Solution

The "rules" are too subjective. The solution, no more "vanity" plates for anyone.

SFCRET85
SFCRET85 01/22/13 - 09:04 am
Wasted Taxes?

Well, there goes a bunch of our tax dollars because some bigoted mid-level government employee decided his/her moral standards were above someone who was born different. Or do you really think this man won't win this suit? Dream on.

I'm Back Again
I'm Back Again 01/22/13 - 09:30 am
God made Adam and Eve, not

God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve! Enough said.

jones634445
jones634445 01/22/13 - 09:32 am
Asking for trouble

That man is out for attention, and he will probably find it in a way that could harm him. Why would you want a tag on a car, announcing to everyone that you are gay - doesn't he realize that there are people out there (who hate gays) just waiting to release their frustration on his car!!!!

Jane18
Jane18 01/22/13 - 09:37 am
What If..............

For those of you that think it is O.K., what would you think if someone wanted a tag that says..H8GAZ, DAMGAZ??????? On the other hand, how about...LUVGOD, GOD#1?????? Jones, that was my first thought!

carcraft
carcraft 01/22/13 - 10:03 am
I have yet to see a plate

I have yet to see a plate "STRGHT" But then again, if he is in an accident it may give being rear ended new meaning!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 01/22/13 - 10:04 am
Some gay

folk are mentally disturbed. To declare their sexual proclivities in a public setting are unbalanced and depraved. Next, beastiality proponents will want a tag declaring I woofwoof.

Frank I
Frank I 01/22/13 - 10:05 am
Attention

I'm going to guess that the person applying for a vanity tag such as this already has some indication on his car that the owner is gay..
as far as what's on a tag, I really don't care.. wonder if they'd stop someone from getting one that said sikduk? just sayin..

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/22/13 - 10:42 am
None of those plates appear

None of those plates appear to be offensive to me. Let him have them.

I might want my AR154U plate one day. Keeps tailgaters at bay.

my.voice
my.voice 01/22/13 - 11:09 am
The State was right in

The State was right in denying this. Its for the greater good, and certainly for HIS OWN GOOD. And if he was somehow harmed by having the license plat, GUESS WHO WOULD BE SUING THE STATE? Yup, him.

soitgoes
soitgoes 01/22/13 - 12:14 pm
You go, guy!

GAYGUY is totally innocuous. Short for "HAPPYGUY"...?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/22/13 - 01:09 pm
Let him have it,

and let him live with the consequences. Just have him sign a waiver about ever suing the state over the tag he choose.

Still, you'd think an adult would have better insight and more highly-developed protective instincts, but what the heck. It's always nice to be warned about who is on the road ahead.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 01/22/13 - 02:00 pm
I don't have personalized

I don't have personalized tags because 1) they are pointless 2) when you see my tag when you're out driving I want you to glance at it, en forget about it 3) any tag that portrays you're personal beliefs can make you a target in the wrong location.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/22/13 - 02:54 pm
I agree wit GAD that I don't

I agree wit GAD that I don't want vanity plates. Somewhere, somebody is going to have a different view and possibly cause you some aggravation over it.

That said, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Absent something that is patently vulgar, give them what they want.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 01/22/13 - 05:06 pm
I personally think he's just

I personally think he's just asking for trouble...but that's his problem, not mine. I have more of a problem with the vulgar bumper stickers that I see. I'm not kidding about this one...I actually saw one that read "More sucking, less fighting!" and it had the gay male symbol beside it! Now, please tell me how we're supposed to react to that? Are we just supposed to ignore it? Can we call the police about it? It is OBVIOUSLY over the top and meant to offend people. What do you say if your mother or child is in the car with you and they read that? Don't tell me "these people" don't want to push the limits of "free speech". This is just an example of what is out there...it's not all Gay-driven, of course. There are some from just about every group imaginable. Bottom line question...are we allowed to call the police and report these? I'd really like to know.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 01/22/13 - 05:26 pm
"... are we allowed to call the police

... and report these? I'd really like to know."

Perhaps in Grovetown; it appears the cops haven't anything else to do. Though why it takes 25 minutes to get one to respond is unclear. Maybe wrong last name?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 01/22/13 - 05:30 pm
"... for HIS OWN GOOD..."

Three of the scariest words that can be spoken in earnest in a democracy; followed by, "for the children" and "I'm from the government to help you."

r
r 01/22/13 - 05:53 pm
Give him the tag!!!!

Who cares I have see far more stupid things. I would think the only person it could cause harm to is himself if he runs across some who hates gays.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 01/22/13 - 06:55 pm
His choices of plates are not

His choices of plates are not vulgar. If he wants the plates give them to him, he's paying the extra charge for them. Any vanity plate can cause problems.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/23/13 - 07:31 am
Open the door a crack and

you open a door none the less.

Think of the next lawsuit demanding the right to other sexual theme tags.

We all could produce a long list of 4 to 8 letter tags,
but the Chronicle would be within its EULA to deleted the post.

Techfan
Techfan 01/23/13 - 07:53 am
The AJC has a much better

The AJC has a much better report on this. The problem is that choices are thrown out arbitrarily. Example: HATERS was approved. HATERS1 was denied. I say go back to random letters and numbers and you get the next tag in the stack and only have a county sticker, no other choices.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 01/23/13 - 08:18 am
Jane18....the plates you

Jane18....the plates you mentioned would NEVER be allowed because freedom of expression is only protected if you don't offend a liberal. Otherwise they call it "hate speech" and want it banned.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen