Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Rep. John Barrow's son arrested

Monday, Jan. 14, 2013 10:59 AM
Last updated 8:24 PM

ATHENS, Ga. -- The teen son of U.S. Rep. John Barrow was arrested in Athens early Saturday.

Athens-Clarke police charged James Pentlarge Barrow, 18, with driving under the influence of drugs, possession of less than an ounce of marijuana and speeding, all misdemeanors.  MORRIS NEWS SERVICE
MORRIS NEWS SERVICE

According to the Athens-Clarke County jail booking recap website, Barrow was arrested at about 5:30 a.m. Saturday. He was released to Athens Bonding at about 10:40 p.m. that day on a $2,000 bond.

James Barrow lives in Athens. His father, a Democrat from Augusta, is divorced from his mother. An Athens native, John Barrow once served on the Athens-Clarke County Commission.

Richard Carbo, a spokesman for John Barrow’s office in Washington, D.C., said there would be no statement from the congressional office.

“This is an issue between Congressman Barrow and his family and we are respecting his privacy,” Carbo said in a brief phone interview.

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/14/13 - 12:13 pm
Lipstick and eye shadow?

Just asking? Public figures, media stars, want your adoration, but cannot abide your scrutiny.

my.voice
my.voice 01/14/13 - 12:16 pm
Nobody's kids are immune

Nobody's kids are immune before the accusations start. Kids are on a slippery slope in today's world. Too many privileges, too much entitlement thinking.

KSL
KSL 01/14/13 - 12:24 pm
my.voice

And too little real parenting.

KSL
KSL 01/14/13 - 12:29 pm
froggy1

You are funny!

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/14/13 - 12:54 pm
Yes Froggy1, he does

looks to have been raised by mother or maybe it is what he looks like stoned.

But lets be fair.
This young adult and is not under his fathers wings.
Living in Athens, and not locally or with his father.

I say this despite having voting against Barrow and for What was his name?☺

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/14/13 - 12:59 pm
Glad to see the sins of the

Glad to see the sins of the son are not automaticaly being laid on the non-custodial father. Poltics and family are separate.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/14/13 - 01:00 pm
Broun's son and now Barrow's.

Broun's son and now Barrow's.

Name a kid "Pentlarge" and you're looking for trouble.

KSL
KSL 01/14/13 - 01:01 pm
His left eyebrow needs

His left eyebrow needs attention.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 01/14/13 - 01:16 pm
Reminds me...

of an episode of honey boo boo...

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/14/13 - 01:23 pm
That's true IAD, but only if

That's true IAD, but only if you are a Democrat.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/14/13 - 02:44 pm
@WB

Yeppers. Look how Rand Paul was dragged into the conversation about his son.

burninater
burninater 01/14/13 - 03:13 pm
Or the time McCain's adopted

Or the time McCain's adopted daughter was cast as an illegitimate mixed-race child before the state primary. Oh wait, in that case it was false, no crimes had been committed, and it was a Republican mailer. Darn those Dems!

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 01/14/13 - 04:11 pm
When I was 18...

I ran the streets at all hours of the night, too, but I was usually done and in bed by 5:30AM. You know what they say. "Nothing good happens after midnight."

KSL
KSL 01/14/13 - 04:34 pm
Dang

When I was 18 I was in bed by 11 on week nights and 12:30 on special weekend nights. He is 18. Where was his mother? Guess we were busy doing more parenting than is done these days.

freedombelle
freedombelle 01/14/13 - 04:35 pm
John Barrow's son

Even if he lived with his DAD, kids have a mind of their own...so much for them to get into these days...let him pay his dues just like all the rest...leave politics out of this..

KSL
KSL 01/14/13 - 04:53 pm
freedom

You are right. Politics has nothing to do with this. But parenting does. One or both of his parents are falling down on the job, not unlike the parents of people on the public dole. Oh wait, we ARE talking about people on the public dole, one way or the other.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 01/14/13 - 06:41 pm
The apple

doesn't fall too far from the tree, does it?

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 01/14/13 - 07:12 pm
Oh please, KSL, open your

Oh please, KSL, open your eyes to reality. Not all people live a perfect life like you do. So, go ahead, pat yourself on the back. Does it feel good??

happychimer
happychimer 01/14/13 - 07:35 pm
He is 18 years old and an

He is 18 years old and an adult. He should be on his own.

harley_52
harley_52 01/14/13 - 11:42 pm
KSL
KSL 01/15/13 - 01:44 am
palmetto

It feels real good. Both of my children have made it to twice that kid's age without the first problem.

I have lived a charmed life. But it was because I studied, listened to MY PARENTS, ALL TWO OF THEM, and strived to do what was right. I selected a male to be my husband who was an excellent husband and father. Just takes common sense.

KSL
KSL 01/15/13 - 01:57 am
Palmetto, are you having

Palmetto, are you having parenting problems? Is that why you "attacked" me.

More of my charmed life. Both children had athletic and academic scholarships including one's appointment to West Point.

Actually all I did was just to be the best parent I could be. I take no other credit. My kids did the rest.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/15/13 - 07:47 am
palmetto1008

"open your eyes to reality. Not all people live a perfect life like you do. So, go ahead, pat yourself on the back. Does it feel good??"

yea palmetto, one of my 5 sons was shot through the heart by one of those people who didn't live a perfect life. My remaining 4 all are very productive business people living that perfect life and I feel real good when I pat myself on the back.

Clemintime
Clemintime 01/15/13 - 07:57 am
Make Sure

This troubling scenario leads me to request that Rep. Barrow makes sure that his guns are secure from unintended and unlawful use.

David Parker
David Parker 01/15/13 - 09:22 am
CG, I didn't know that about

CG, I didn't know that about your son. Hate it for you brother. Regarding politics and parenting. Oil and water. I'd much rather have a person in office that dedicates all their time to the job, not at the risk of shirking their parenting duties, but the man is 18 years old and makes adult decisions with adult consequences. If Barrow failed, then it was not b/c he didn't do his job as a representative. But he better not let nobody take my guns.

Jane18
Jane18 01/15/13 - 10:01 am
Nonparental Guidance, Spoiled Rotten? Probably..................

When a young adult gets in trouble because of drugs and/or drinking, he/she did it because they wanted to. It did not mean one thing about what this guy had been taught or told, that his dad was a prominent politician, his mother would be worried...nothing meant anything to this "entitled" young man. I am wondering just what else this guy ever did, that we don't know about......................You can bet this was not his first run-in with the law!

SPARKSTER83
SPARKSTER83 01/15/13 - 10:18 am
When you are 18 you are an

When you are 18 you are an adult,leave the parents out of it....BUT I BET WE WILL NEVER HEAR OF THIS AGAIN HMMMMMMM!!!!

YeCats
YeCats 01/15/13 - 12:26 pm
Just a Hypothetical,,,

I agree, 18 years old. He/she is an adult. And should be able to be on their own.

The Fed has made it where all "children", up to the age of 26, are covered by the parents healthcare. Uncle Sam, to me, says different.

DaVitte slaying suspect still in Florida

A month after the slaying of 55-year-old Bill DaVitte, suspect Daniel Nelson Robinson, 21, remains in a Jacksonville, Fla., detention facility.