Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Sheriff's inaugural gala generates thousands for charities

Thursday, Jan. 10, 2013 3:15 PM
Last updated 9:03 PM

Richmond County Sheriff Richard Roundtree said his inaugural gala generated more than $12,500 for local charities, something that he hopes to do every year.

Back | Next
Sheriff Richard Roundtree said some of the money will be used for next year's event.  FILE/STAFF
FILE/STAFF

The black-tie charity gala Jan. 4 at the Legends Club on Washington Road was attended by at least 300 people, who paid up to $150 each to take part in the inaugural celebration.

Roundtree said ticket sales and a silent auction yielded about $33,900, or about $18,000 after expenses.

“The majority will be divided among the five charities with a portion retained for future events and start up cost for next year’s event,” Roundtree said in an e-mail. “The monies will be in the campaign account, so it is open for public view and cannot be used for personal use.”

The sheriff said keeping the money in a campaign account allows for the donation of money to charities and makes it easier for the public to keep up with how the money is spent.

“Eventually, I would like to start a nonprofit foundation under the sheriff office banner, but this was the easiest way to immediately generate, distribute and track the money,” he said.

He said checks for at least $2,500 from the proceeds will be given to each of the five designated charities: Augusta Partnership for Children, SafeHomes of Augusta, Augusta Warrior Project, Easter Seals and Golden Harvest Food Bank.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/10/13 - 04:34 pm
I'm sure that charities are

I'm sure that charities are thankful for any donations they get but let's be honest here, something doesn't add up. You raise $33,900. You have $18,000 left after expenses (excuse me! $15,900 for expenses?) This leaves $12,500 for the 5 charities receiving $2,500 each and you keep $5,500 in the coffer.

$33,900 and each charities receives $2,500. I'm sorry but somehow that just seems wrong.

Sweet son
Sweet son 01/10/13 - 05:00 pm
InChristLove has asked a good question about the finances.

Sounds like the way other unscrupulous charities are operated! Large overhead and small donations!

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/10/13 - 07:50 pm
Well Sweet son, whether it

Well Sweet son, whether it appears I have asked a good question about the finances or not, someone (two TSD) thinks it's okay for a charity to receive only $2,500 out of $39,000 raised.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/10/13 - 08:45 pm
It's a great way to finance

It's a great way to finance your shindig, though.

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/10/13 - 09:01 pm
The funds are open for public

The funds are open for public view.

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/10/13 - 09:39 pm
What funds Patty-P? $15,900

What funds Patty-P? $15,900 went for expenses, $2,500 went to each of the 5 charities. That only leave $5,500. Personally I don't care what they do with the $5,500. I just think it's sad that you have an event that is advertised as raising money for our local charities and out of $33,900 collected a charity only gets $2,500. Expenses were $3,400 more than all the money given to all five charities combined.

janderson1945
janderson1945 01/11/13 - 01:39 am
Event

My wife and I attended the event with some others and from the beginning, it was made clear that "a portion of proceeds will be given to charity" as this was an even to support the Sheriff and his campaign. This was viewable on his website when we purchased our tickets and still is. It was also listed on our invitation and tickets so as attendees we always knew this was for the Sheriff and the charities he chose to help. Events such as this always cost a great deal to host and the food & beverages served as well as the band, larg catering staff and rental of the facility had to be very expensive. The Sheriff donated the majority of all of the profits to charities and we are proud to have attended, enjoyed the event and are happy with the outcome. If you didn't attend, it isn't your money and it isn't tax money so just be happy that 5 local charities now each have $2,500.00 more dollars to help others without you having to contribute anything thanks to our new Sheriff and those of us who chose to attend.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 01/11/13 - 05:37 am
Cynics

Janderson...
Don't waste your time trying to tell these people anything. They were skeptical before you bought your wife's gown, or could put on your Tux! Never heard them wonder out loud if the people who petition the Empty Stocking Fund actually get the money, or the benefactors of the Border Bash or the Bands of Christmas.

I promise you they will hound this man to death with pettiness. If one sees something wrong one should speak up, but this started before there was any release of how much was donated!

Sad!

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/11/13 - 08:23 am
janderson1945, I am glad you

janderson1945, I am glad you and your wife were able to attend this gala and as you have stated, from the beginning it was more about the sheriff and not the charities, then I have misunderstood all the hoopla in the articles concerning this event. I do find it odd that if this event was about the election of our first black sheriff and the success of his campaign then I'm puzzled by his comment "Sheriff Richard Roundtree said some of the money will be used for next year's event." This led me to believe it was a charitable event or is our new sheriff going to run for office again next year.

I understand that events cost money but I suppose I had the notion that if this was for charities then the vendors (such as location and entertainment) would reduce their cost to some extent or in some cases be donated towards the fund raising. Since this was not about raising money for charities then I need to reevaluate my view and like I stated earlier I am sure these charities are happy for any amount they received.

As for Truth Matters, I neither know Mr. Roundtree or am familiar with the finances of these other charities you've mentioned. Since there are only a few who have commented on this article (mine being the only negative one, maybe one other could be viewed as such) then I can only assume your comment was directed at me. I did not comment directly about Sheriff Roundtree (only about the event itself) and have made no comment about him personally on any other article in this newspaper, so your assessment of "they will hound this man to death with pettiness" is a bit overstated, don't you think.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/11/13 - 08:30 am
ICL

WOW, that is the way to go to get another downer.

16 downers in 3 post...I think that is a record!

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/11/13 - 08:42 am
Just trying to keep up with

Just trying to keep up with you CG. I think we have some mutual friends on here. Have a blessed day my friend!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/11/13 - 11:58 am
Kudos to all of them!

The real gratitude goes to the local business men and women who purchased the majority of the seating and then donated it back to the sheriff's dept for redistribution at the sheriff's pleasure.

I'll say one thing for Sheriff Roundtree, he's a good egg about all of his new found friends.

I think the next gala should have an equestrian theme because never in the history of Augusta have we seen so many folks changing horses during the race. Don't we just love a winner!

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 01/11/13 - 04:27 pm
Shaft!

He's a bad (shut yo mouth)!

People will always find something to gripe about.

Did Strength ever have a gala that supported local charities?
Did Strength ever walk the streets of the most troubled neighborhood?

rebellious
20630
rebellious 01/11/13 - 01:31 pm
So this was a campaign fundraiser?

If the monies are routed through Roundtree's campaign finances, then each contributor should be listed on his next Campaign Financial Disclosure due to the ticket price being over $101. That is a pretty good way for public disclosure and transparency and should avoid the appearance of impropriety. Smart Move!

InChristLove
InChristLove 01/11/13 - 02:18 pm
Henry, I don't recall Sheriff

Henry, I don't recall Sheriff Strength ever having a gala but I seem to recall his department officers along with NA Public Safety putting on some kind of baseball event to raise money for local charities. If my memory serves me correctly I do believe the event was $10 and open to the public for everyone to participate.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 01/11/13 - 06:41 pm
First off, let me say that

First off, let me say that Roundtree is the sheriff now and I really, really hoping him great success during his term(s) in office. It'd be great to experience the drop in crime he's planning for.
Now, as far as this charity event, I honestly think it was something that his puppeteers orchestrated, in a smart PR move for Roundtree to go into office in a positive light. Hey, it's painted as a charity, so who can have a problem with that, right? Bump up the number of charities who will benefit so everyone will feel some satisfaction....so what if their slice of the money-pie is smaller. After all, something's better than nothing, right? Well, that IS true.

Dr_Evil
Dr_Evil 01/11/13 - 08:13 pm
Just My Opinion asks,

Just My Opinion asks, "Henry...."Did Strength ever walk the streets of the most troubled neighborhood?". The answer is YES...he walked those streets EVERY TIME there was a homicide, a rape, a burglary, a car-jacking...need I go on?"

I "beg" to differ, but yes, "go on"