Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

UGA student wards off burglar with golf club

Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2013 7:42 AM
Last updated 6:54 PM

ATHENS, Ga. -- A University of Georgia student used a golf club to drive a burglar from his home Sunday morning.

Thomas Hiles, 22, said he was asleep in his home on North Harris Street about 7 a.m. when he was wakened by a noise in the living room.

Hiles told Athens-Clarke police that when he looked out of his room and didn’t see anything, he went back to bed, but heard another noise a short time later.

“Basically, I looked out and saw someone in the living room, and the TV that was hanging on the wall was on the floor,” Hiles said in an interview Monday. “I keep my golf clubs in a closet in my room, so I reached in and grabbed the first club I could get and basically went after the guy with it, yelling at him to get out.”

The student chased the intruder out of the house, striking him once in the back with the golf club, Hiles said. The shaft of the club broke upon impact.

“I’m glad that it wasn’t a driver, because I don’t use the 7 wood that often,” Hiles said.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 01/08/13 - 08:59 am
Burglar deterred

More power to him - ax handle - any hard object will do!!

recoveringaddict
recoveringaddict 01/08/13 - 10:27 am
Way to go

Way to go!!! I'm so glad this student was able to send this thief running. Next thing we know; Obama will be outlawing golf clubs.

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/08/13 - 11:10 am
Proper Technique

I think if he would have kept his left arm straight, kept his balance and aimed more at dead center of the head his shot would have been more effective although it may have sprayed him some like a shot out of the trap.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/08/13 - 11:36 am
This is the one time in his

This is the one time in his life of golf that he could have used a 1 iron.

KSL
KSL 01/08/13 - 02:02 pm
I get the sensing that

I get the sensing that Americans are growing more tired of thieves. The bad guys had better watch out.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/08/13 - 04:39 pm
Parse

Can anyone parse Hiles’ last sentence in this story? I don't understand what he's trying to say.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/09/13 - 07:32 am
ksl

I get that same feeling in this area too....just sick & tired of crime.....& doing something about it..

justthefacts
justthefacts 01/09/13 - 09:07 am
LL

He didn't want to break his Driver. He was Ok with breaking the 7 wood because it is rarely used. My take.

JRC2024
JRC2024 01/09/13 - 09:12 am
Mr. Hiles is saying that he

Mr. Hiles is saying that he his glad he used another club to hit the person instead of his driver because the club broke. Had he used his driver and it broke he would have to buy a new one.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms