Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Cyclist hit by truck on Furys Ferry Road

Monday, Jan. 7, 2013 5:57 PM
Last updated 9:43 PM

An air ambulance was called to Furys Ferry Road just across the South Carolina line after a bicyclist was hit by a truck Monday afternoon.

Back | Next
Paramedics tend to a bicyclist who was hit by a truck on Furys Ferry Road in McCormick County, S.C.  JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF
JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF

The bicyclist, whose name was not released, was conscious and talking to emergency responders when he was stabilized on the roadside by Gold Cross EMS and Columbia County Fire Rescue workers, along with responders from McCormick County.

The man was hit just after 3 p.m. by a truck.

A motorist behind the truck said a few vehicles passed the cyclist before the truck hit him.

The incident was still under investigation Monday night by the South Carolina Highway Patrol.

justputtin
justputtin 01/07/13 - 07:16 pm
Hopefully a full recovery

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. I hope he's ok. I'm sure the driver is devastated.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/07/13 - 07:32 pm
Bike lanes, bike lanes, bike

Bike lanes, bike lanes, bike lanes.

WeAreAllInfected
WeAreAllInfected 01/07/13 - 07:58 pm
Better than bike lanes.

I think we should have a network paths that run along the roads like Furys Ferry. Such as those along Evans to Locks. http://goo.gl/maps/xwwrd I feel safe enough to have my daughter on a tag-along with these. A car could still take you out but they'd have to try a little harder.

Bantana
2071
Bantana 01/07/13 - 10:14 pm
"A car could still take you

"A car could still take you out but they'd have to try a little harder."

The defensive mindset of a recreational bicyclist? Why would people try to take out a bicyclist? That statement says alot about the dangers that bicyclists face and the difficulties drivers have in coexisting with other users unwilling to do so. It's simply ridiculous to try. When will our legislators finally understand the folly of trying to accommodate this minority by allowing them to use roadways engineered for motorized vehicles? My wishes for a complete recovery are with the bicyclist involved.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 01/07/13 - 08:08 pm
This is why we should have

This is why we should have more bike lanes and bike paths. Our roads have gotten too dangerous in a car or motorcycle much less a bicycle. Perhaps bicycles shouldn't be on any road with a speed limit over 35mph unless there's a bike lane or path. Cross walks exempt

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/07/13 - 08:32 pm
I almost hit a cyclist this afternoon myself

Sun shining right in my eyes putting everything largely in silhouette, and suddenly the car just ahead of me lurched into the left lane to avoid this kid on a bike, toddling along on the edge of Skinner Mill Road. Ye gods and little fishes, I'm glad I wasn't tail-gating or I wouldn't have been able to miss him.

I could have throttled that kid for being on that road at that time of day, dressed all in black and completely clueless about the very real danger he had put himself in.

This is not, not, not a safe area of the state--either state-- for riding bikes along highways and busy roads. That's just a fact, no matter how much we'd like to have things be different. I sure hope the victim recovers to ride again someday.

SON of Scoob
SON of Scoob 01/07/13 - 09:04 pm
Speed Limit

The speed limit in this area is 55 mph. Bicycles and automobiles don't mix. It is big time stupid and arrogant to put your cute bicycle suit on and ride on a highway.

I hope this guy is ok, but don't feel sorry for him. The driver of the truck has my concern.

mosovich
mosovich 01/07/13 - 09:42 pm
Not to comforting..

You know, they passed a 3 foot rule earlier this year, I guess not all drivers understand what that means.. I used to love cycling, it was my passion in life, but in the CSRA, it's becoming a lost love..

justputtin
justputtin 01/07/13 - 09:58 pm
Son of scoob!

Wow, that's harsh and the bleeding hearts will jump all over you. How can you be so brutally callus and..................... honest? You are also exactly right in my opinion. Unfortunate accident.

Bantana
2071
Bantana 01/07/13 - 10:51 pm
I never could understand the

I never could understand the three foot law. It is illogical to institute a law that compels a motorist to violate a law to obey a law. If a bicyclist is riding one foot from the fog line and their footprint is one and a half feet, that makes two and a half feet of space added to the mandated three feet, you are indeed claiming nearly six feet of roadway. I know that some roadways in Georgia are only 12 feet wide. So a peddle bike is legislated the right to claim nearly half of a state roadway where the closing speed differential may be 50mph? Now a vehicle such as a commercial truck, some of which may measure in excess of nine feet wide, comes upon a bicyclist, they will be required to cross the double yellow to get around the recreational bicyclist. Thereby breaking a state law to obey a state law. Thus the conundrum. Obviously you give way to the bicyclist regardless. Now there is an obscure and little know state statute that allows passing on a double yellow to avoid an impediment, but I can say that many law enforcement officers are unaware of this and you will have to waste a day of work to appear in court to argue that point. I have. Let's just get these bicyclists off of our roadways and put them on dedicated bike paths. Or...they could have to pass a special skills test just as motorcyclist are required to do, as well as, carry a proper state issued license indicating that endorsement and suitable liability insurance.

crackertroy
crackertroy 01/07/13 - 10:45 pm
I hope the guy is okay but

I hope the guy is okay but honestly, most of those cyclist act like arrogant, elitist jerks. It's like they think they are morally superior because they're healthy cyclists and all the base-borne kennel-rat motorists should bow down.

A Measured Response
A Measured Response 01/07/13 - 11:23 pm
Of course, we hope the

Of course, we hope the cyclist is going to be OK. But simply put, bike riders have no place on busy roads like Fury's Ferry. The 3 foot rule doesn't work, and I'm not convinced that the public--when faced with the price tag of what all of these bike lanes will cost--will want to add more of them.

ymnbde
ymnbde 01/07/13 - 11:54 pm
on Fury's Ferry

last Sunday there were THREE binarcistcycleists riding side-by-side taking an entire lane... doesn't the three foot rule apply to them also?

KasparHauser
KasparHauser 01/08/13 - 06:00 am
How Could This Happen...

Enjoy riding my carbon Trek, but when I see some brainless riders cycling down the death trap roads in the CSRA my blood runs cold. One unexpected puncture or bit of road debris and you're road kill just due to the brutal physics.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 01/08/13 - 07:50 am
I personally did not know

I personally did not know about a 3' rule. Would you bet YOUR life on everyone else knowing or following the rule? (Especially when we have no standard way of teaching people the rules of the road?)

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/08/13 - 10:18 am
I think bikes as regular transportation is a terrific idea,

but until pedestrian-only routes are designated in this area, there is no way of doing it. Motorized vehicles and bicycles cannot share a roadway safely. Foot traffic is safer with cars and trucks than bicycles are.

The CSRA counties on both sides of the river would be doing their citizens a huge service if they would designate routes for non-motorized traffic, routes that go to places in a community that people need to go.

Since our area has virtually no effective, widely accessible public transportation, IMO, designating certain roads as bike routes seems like an obligation. It's not like the only option is to shut down main drags like Washington Road or Walton Way.

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 01/08/13 - 10:23 am
Ironman and Augusta (CSRA)

Augusta has a LARGE bike crowd, but VERY FEW bike lanes.

There are lanes on Sand Bar Ferry Road......

soapy_725
soapy_725 01/08/13 - 10:58 am
Real World vs. Me World

Is there a "minimum" safe highway speed limit? Yes. Do these expressors of their own rights allow their small children to ride the roads? Reason should trump passion. But in all things of our New Found Expression Society, reason is left in the delivery room.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 01/08/13 - 11:28 am
Cyclists have to assume the

Cyclists have to assume the greater responsibility to keep themselves safe, because it's the only thing that will truly keep them safe.

I am happy there is a good ending on this accident; however it was suicidal to ride down Fury's Ferry towards McCormick.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 01/08/13 - 11:34 am
Obviously, those who say

Obviously, those who say bikes and cars cannot coexist have never been to Europe...

twolane
twolane 01/08/13 - 12:26 pm
hello

you can ride alllllll day long up and down the canal....theres a million dollar bike path in north augusta....but nooooo i love riding thru appling to come up on four bike riders stretched all the way across the lane from white line to the yellow line hindering traffic

WalterBradfordCannon
WalterBradfordCannon 01/08/13 - 12:51 pm
The bicyclist has every bit

The bicyclist has every bit as much legal right to the road as the F-150. If the concern is about safety, the cyclist should ride in the middle of the lane, or the motorist should simply slow down to allow another legal road user their appropriate right to the road until it is safe to pass. I cannot fathom the mentality and empathy of those who criticize the victim of manslaughter as "asking for it". So ridiculous. I suppose you lecture rape victims about wearing skirts that are too short, too.

harley_52
harley_52 01/08/13 - 01:42 pm
Walter...

You have the legal right to catch a rattlesnake and try to smooch it on the lips. Obeying the law, are you a wise man if you do it?

If I availed myself to that legal right, would you feel sorry for me if I was bitten?

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 01/08/13 - 03:10 pm
Deputy on a bike

Sixty years of life, many spent in law enforcement, the last as a bike cop. Yet he never learned the most basic law, the law of physics. A five MPH bike does not belong on a fifty-five MPH highway. No state law, rule or code can fix this, we must get rid of these "wish it were so" laws and let all non-motor vehicle traffic travel facing traffic so they can see cars coming and get out of the lane. These bike laws are as effective as the so called gun laws the same liberals try to enact.

harley_52
harley_52 01/08/13 - 03:55 pm
"You know, they passed a 3 foot rule earlier this year....

....I guess not all drivers understand what that means.."

Have you not yet figured out that simply passing a law doesn't stop human behavior? It may change it for some (or most) people, but not all.

Are you willing to bet your life on those who happen to drive up behind you?

burninater
burninater 01/08/13 - 04:18 pm
You have the legal right to

--------
That would be a useful analogy if motor vehicle operators were small-brained reptiles.

They aren't, however. They are intelligent individuals with full operational control of their vehicles.

It is true that accidents are inevitable. However, the fact that the vast majority of cyclists in the CSRA are not involved in vehicle accidents demonstrates that cyclists and motor vehicles coexist on the same roads on a daily basis without incident. Assuming that the possible is impossible is not a rational or reasonable position, and should not be the basis for determining steps that can further minimize accidents like this.

harley_52
harley_52 01/08/13 - 04:42 pm
"That would be a useful analogy...

....if motor vehicle operators were small-brained reptiles."

It's a useful analogy even if motor vehicle operators have normal human brains, though it's possible you don't get it.

The point isn't to denigrate motor vehicle operators, but rather to highlight the fact that just because someone might have the legal right to do something, it's not always wise to exercise that right.

Get it now?

burninater
burninater 01/08/13 - 05:41 pm
Yup, got it the first time.

Yup, got it the first time.

My point still stands that comparing an activity that occurs on a daily basis without incident to kissing a rattlesnake on the lips is neither rational nor reasonable.

ymnbde
ymnbde 01/08/13 - 06:37 pm
the most ridiculous, offensive comment ever

"I suppose you lecture rape victims about wearing skirts that are too short, too."
walterbradfordcannon grown men willingly ride their little bicycles irritatingly and purposely slow on major highways meant for high speed alongside cars that weigh tons and are going very fast with such a small space separating the little bike from the big car or transfer truck that you can feel the wind from every one and every one has to alter their path to keep from hitting these "grown men" who are exercising their "right" to put themselves and the legal car drivers at risk of, as we have seen too many times right here in the csra, death.
You compared that act to that of an innocent woman minding her own business and not bothering anyone getting attacked and raped by predatory subhumans.
You obviously do not know any woman who has ever been raped, and don't have the cognitive abilities to even imagine that horror.
You owe apologies.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 01/08/13 - 07:13 pm
How silly to consider that

How silly to consider that the intention is to mow down a cyclist.
They can be hard to see!! They can pull out in front of you; run red lights, pass on the right; all that and more.

I drive, I cycle, I ride with my husband on his harley, I ride my horse on the shoulder of certain roads. Ultimately, laws or no laws, right or wrong; I AM GOING TO TAKE the steps to protect myself.