Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Cyclist hit by truck on Furys Ferry Road

Monday, Jan. 7, 2013 5:57 PM
Last updated 9:43 PM

An air ambulance was called to Furys Ferry Road just across the South Carolina line after a bicyclist was hit by a truck Monday afternoon.

Back | Next
Paramedics tend to a bicyclist who was hit by a truck on Furys Ferry Road in McCormick County, S.C.  JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF
JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF

The bicyclist, whose name was not released, was conscious and talking to emergency responders when he was stabilized on the roadside by Gold Cross EMS and Columbia County Fire Rescue workers, along with responders from McCormick County.

The man was hit just after 3 p.m. by a truck.

A motorist behind the truck said a few vehicles passed the cyclist before the truck hit him.

The incident was still under investigation Monday night by the South Carolina Highway Patrol.

Georgialina
Georgialina 01/09/13 - 01:48 pm
One thing to add

Son of Scoob posted:

The speed limit in this area is 55 mph. Bicycles and automobiles don't mix. It is big time stupid and arrogant to put your cute bicycle suit on and ride on a highway.

I hope this guy is ok, but don't feel sorry for him. The driver of the truck has my concern.

Excellent point, I have but one thing to add: Just because it is legal does NOT make it smart. As Willow said:

How silly to consider that the intention is to mow down a cyclist.
They can be hard to see!! They can pull out in front of you; run red lights, pass on the right; all that and more.

That being said, the driver of the vehicle is not always at fault in these accidents. I know it is my legal right to ride my bike on the roads with 4000 lb cars but will I do it??? NO!!!

crockpot2001
crockpot2001 01/09/13 - 02:51 pm
Cyclist, traffic, and Southern life

A year ago I moved to the CSRA area and absolutely love it. The people are great, the work culture is good, and the off-road mountain biking here is world class, honest!

This week an off duty Police Deputy was struck by a motorist on Fury’s Ferry Road. The profession of the cyclist makes a point as he may be more likely to understand the rules of the road. I’ve seen that section of road both in pictures and while driving my car. It is indeed shoulderless and not optimal for cycling at the accident site. Many expressed that not all, or any, roads are meant for bikes. Are you 100% sure that this cyclist was not connecting two sections of better suited roads? We have two very nice, but poorly maintained, paths in North Augusta. One must drive their car there to use them both on the same day as they do not connect unless the cyclist gets on YOUR road with their bike. Bike lanes don’t solve problems at intersections and some research shows they make accidents more likely. As well, bike lanes and paths are expensive and not meant for speed above 10-12 MPH. You may like getting rid of those pesky lycra freaks but do YOU want to pay the bill? I didn’t think so. Shared use, driver and cyclist education, and a little bit of re-striping is the way to go.

Driver inattention here is staggering to me. While driving my truck I’ve watched drivers cross into my lane numerous times while they are obviously texting or talking. Will the driver of the truck that hit the cyclist this week have her phone records reviewed?

Driver vs. cyclist speeds must be taken in context. Most road cyclists travel on flat roads at about 15-25 MPH. If the speed limit is 45 that reduces the approach speed to 20-30 MPH. If one cannot manage to drive your car safely at that speed there may be a problem with the skills or acceptance of responsibility of the driver. This is also one of the reasons it is illegal for cyclists to ride against traffic. Restricting cyclists from roads with speed limits >50 MPH is not unreasonable in my mind unless it’s a designated cycling route and there are indicators or regular bike use.

It may come as a surprise that we have an obesity epidemic nationally but the South is especially hard hit. Some folks ride for transportation and some for the activity levels it provides. Don’t be surprised that our costs of healthcare here in the South are skyrocketing from diseases related to obesity and inactivity. I spend my day caring for the medical nutritional needs of elderly people with histories of poor diet and inactivity. The outcomes are most often their choice. I ride with folks that have chosen to ride away hundreds of pounds. You may want to thank them for not being a burden to our healthcare system and your tax dollars.

In closing, the driver attitude towards cyclist here is like none I’ve ever seen from New York to California. There was almost no sympathy for the rider or attempt to understand the full situation of the accident in the comments section of the article. Before you blame the cyclist, it’s helpful to understand the full picture instead of the same old tired reasons you don’t like cyclists on YOUR roads. Is it really so hard to keep your eyes open and on the road? Can you not appreciate the benefits to the cyclist and the community that cycling affords? Is it so hard to respect a human life?

crockpot2001
crockpot2001 01/09/13 - 03:06 pm
3' rule.

To date, no driver has been cited for crossing the yellow lines for allowing 3' while passing a cyclist. This is no longer an excuse.

paperhearts
paperhearts 01/09/13 - 04:52 pm

Thank you crockpot, well stated. We have no choice to share the road with cyclists, they have every law that we have. Just because some have the bigger equipment doesn't make they are the only ones that have the right to do the job. In most of these cases it isn't the cyclists in the wrong but the driver , not paying attention to the road. I'm sorry your gigantic escalade does not have right of way and that makes you annoyed, pay attention to the road and you won't hit a cyclist. We have to watch for cars and pedestrians and cyclists, it is the law. This cyclist was committing no crime but because most don't like the annoyance of looking out for cyclist we blame him for this accident. Shame.

Tammy Swann
Tammy Swann 01/10/13 - 07:44 pm
Praying 4 Mr. Benson and his

Praying 4 Mr. Benson and his Family and all involved @ this time..;")!!