Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man wounded after leaving Windsor Spring Road nightclub

Friday, Jan. 4, 2013 1:58 PM
Last updated 3:25 PM

A young Hephzibah man who was shot Friday morning is expected to recover from his wounds, but the shooting left him and his friends baffled.

Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Calvin Chew said Garnsy Grissom III, 21, and his friends had just left the Corner Pocket, 2450 Windsor Spring Road, about 1:40 a.m. when they heard gunfire. A bullet pierced Grissom’s arm and passed through his abdomen, causing four wounds, Chew said.

Investigators suspect the gunman used a .40-caliber gun after they found at least three shell casings in the parking lot.

Detectives questioned the victim and his friends, all of whom said they had no clue about who would shoot at them. They haven’t had any troubles with anyone, Chew said they told authorities.

None of the men could describe the gunman or his vehicle in detail. The vehicle is believed to be a white, small to midsize four-door car, Chew said.

Comments (22)

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/04/13 - 03:15 pm

And these are the reasons

And these are the reasons good people run away from RC.

countyman
countyman 01/04/13 - 03:38 pm

Starbucks, Rockwood, Home2Suites by Hilton, etc must see the sky

Everyday the sky is always falling in Augusta. Richmond County is now the only place with shootings(never mind it's the largest in population and the second largest outside of metro Atlanta)..

The comments about the TSplost and recent homicides prove my point. The same few people keep telling others don't shop in RC, but the TSplost is for the entire Georgia side of the CSRA. The comments on the recent homicides were all centered around the one in Augusta, and none mentioned the one in Aiken.

The recent home sales of 2012 clearly show tons of people are moving into Richmond County. That's probably why Summerville, West Augusta, Forest Hills, CBD, etc have some of the highest properties values in the metro and CSRA.

happychimer
happychimer 01/04/13 - 04:34 pm

Crime is in every state and

Crime is in every state and every county.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 01/04/13 - 04:35 pm

TONS? REALLY?

TONS? REALLY?

single parent
single parent 01/04/13 - 04:55 pm

My Neighbor

My neighbor used to co-own that place. It is indeed not a bad area, but the so called home sales look like home sales but are in fact rentals ( vouchers,section 8 or deals being made to unload the property) up and down this area Gordon Hwy to Gracewood. It is the direct result of so called improvements downtown, because folks had to go some where, and is cheaper due to property value drop. I live in this area so I DO know and see the why of these constant uproaring events.
Fact is everybody CANNOT buy a $200 + k house and factor in what if's or keep out the do not wants!
Believe it or not that was an isolated incident because the owner actually keeps a good eye on things like that not happening. 5 shootings within 3 blocks ( Amsterdam to Stockholm) with deaths is a problem!
@PATTY-P people are running from RC because we are not growing as the population grows. Folks keep saying business this business this. WHO WHAT WHEN AND WHERE IS IT DOING FOR RC IN ALL AREAS? I MEAN REALLY DOING BESIDES LINING SOME NEED TO BE OUSTED POCKETS?
Case and point look at the grass and upkeep of RC away from Washington Rd and look at the stadium deal and where it went, loss or win that should have been a NO BRAINER!
Now imagine this: Compton,Cali 1970's; Detroit 1970's came from the same neglect BS/pocket lining we have now! Do the research and don't just talk about it especially if you have never lived it! NOW thats a fact Jack!
Bottom line is if Augusta and its "GOVERNMENT" centralized the criteria for being an example of how to make people want to be here no matter of crime and other deterents, this would be a ho hum story

useful
useful 01/04/13 - 05:22 pm

don,t worry

there is a new sheriff in town,if he,s back from the holidays.

rebellious
rebellious 01/04/13 - 07:06 pm

Countyman

You have the worst timing I have ever seen. More than not, I agree with you, but wrong article to post positive comments to. Work smart, not hard!

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 01/04/13 - 10:33 pm

I see improvement

This time no blindness just needed glasses.
"None of the men could describe the gunman or his vehicle in detail."

Hope he heals.

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/05/13 - 12:09 am

single parent

I completely agree with you. Not everyone can afford a 200k home and those that do would choose the area with better schools, less crime, etc. So I can never really figure out countyman's point with the businesses, etc.

countyman
countyman 01/05/13 - 12:45 am

Businesses tend to locate in

Businesses tend to locate in the areas with less crime, and better schools.

There's no way any single business can improve every area of the county.

The businesses locating in Evans aren't helping every part of Harlem out, or nither is the new businesses coming to Aiken improving the quality of life in all of Belvedere.

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/05/13 - 12:57 am

countyman

So that explains why Gordon Highway area has gone downhill? South Augusta along Dean's Bridge Road?

countyman
countyman 01/05/13 - 01:28 am

I think you need to ride down

I think you need to ride down Gordon Hwy near I-520, and especially between Jimmie Dyess Pkwy/Grovetown(200 acre Haynes Station, Mccoys Creek, Willhaven, 13 acre shopping center, etc)..

I don't really understand your point because every county will have declining areas.

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/05/13 - 01:54 am

countyman, I never said

countyman, I never said counties don't have declining areas. And the areas you mentioned cater to the military community. (I am prior military myself). My point is that the average citizen of RC isn't a 200K+ homebuyer, and the areas I mentioned in my previous post seem to be overlooked when it comes to new businesses. The only types of businesses I've seen new are Dollar Stores.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/05/13 - 07:53 am

Patty

Sometimes we are talking to a wall.....we know the dangers & troubles in certain areas of town......we don't come on here to promote a certain agenda.......maybe & I'm hoping with all my might....that Rtree can make a difference...he did see the troublemakers in the school system.....he knows 1st hand where some are living/working & etc....I will hope for the best.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/05/13 - 07:55 am

wrong ctyman

He said...

Businesses tend to locate in the areas with less crime, and better schools.

If that were true they would all locate in Columbia county....a business will locate where there is cheap land & tax incentives...just tell it like it is please...

corgimom
19608
corgimom 01/05/13 - 08:35 am

According to Countyman, if

According to Countyman, if there aren't any murders in an area, it's safe. The rest of us don't feel that way.

When people are living in an area where people are being randomly shot for no reason, it frightens them and everybody that can get out, does.

I have not seen one single person on here tell anybody not to shop in RC, Countyman is dreaming this up. And home sales do NOT mean that people are moving into RC, there were plenty of home sales in 2000-2010, when the population grew by less than 1,000 people.

What is true is that people in Augusta love to move into new houses, to get away from the declining areas, and it is far more difficult to sell an existing house in Augusta than in most places. Those are the ones that often get turned into rental property and Section 8 housing. The homebuilders in Augusta know this, every Commission approves new housing developments left and right, and that is why neighborhoods in Augusta decline.

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/05/13 - 09:17 am

corgi

I agree 100%..

Bulldog1
Bulldog1 01/05/13 - 11:32 am

Home sales

Many, many home sales are being transacted in RC, but a large number are being made to investors who then rent them. Any good sociologist will tell you that when any neighborhood reaches ~15% rental, a downward spiral begins in the quality of the neighborhood. All you have to do to verify this is look at where the problems are and then look at the neighborhood demographics. The housing market continues to be depressed because lenders are not interested in giving mortgages to anyone unless they have credit scores above 700. This continues to make properties attractive to investors who rent these houses to people who cannot qualify for mortgages. Home/condo ownership provides the underlying social stability for us all.

countyman
countyman 01/05/13 - 12:36 pm

People get on here everyday

The same people who accuse me of having an agenda clearly have their own. People get on here everyday and present their opinions as facts. These people don't have the slightest clue in terms of growth in Richmond County, or the stats concerning home sales. They don't know how many homes are being rented, the sale of new homes versus existing home, etc. Why do people think opinions will outweigh the facts? Why do people love to change comments in order to fit their agenda?

PattyP. I can think of plenty of nice homes in neighborhoods under $200k.

Seenitb4. There's school in Richmond County who outranked the schools in Columbia County. There's areas in Richmond County with a lower crime rate compared to areas in Columbia. I don't know why you continue to pump up Columbia County. What area of Columbia County is better than West Augusta?

Corgimom..... I think you need to read the articles related to T-Splost. A few of the people who don't support it are telling people to not shop in Richmond County.

I guess the Walmart, Walmart neighborhood market, numerous restaurants, multiple hotels, Medac expansion(70 jobs), NCG/Home Goods at Village at Riverwatch, Starbucks plant, etc don't mean people are moving into Richmond County either..

Please spin this??

April 2010 - April 2012

Richmond 200,549 to 203,152

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 01/05/13 - 08:47 pm

I wonder what the population

I wonder what the population growth trends for Richmond County and Columbia County would be for the last 20 years or so?

Got my mind on my sit and spin and my sit and spin on my mind

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/05/13 - 06:04 pm

What types of homes are in

What types of homes are in West Augusta? Price range? Which public schools serve West Augusta? (or better yet, which private schools?)

Patty-P
Patty-P 01/05/13 - 06:19 pm

countyman

Please compare the statistics here for both Richmond County and Columbia County. These are coming DIRECTLY FROM THE US CENSUS.

Compare % population growth, % living in poverty, retail sales per capita, building permits, homeownership %, etc etc. Then let's talk about it.

Judge expedites election suit

Attorneys representing Augusta's mayor and commission have until 5 p.m. April 30 to respond to the complaint which seeks an injunction and to the plaintiff's request for a three-judge panel to ...