Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman reports purse stolen during Kroger visit Christmas Eve

Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2013 2:52 PM
Last updated 11:30 PM

Columbia County authorities are trying to identify two people in connection with a Christmas Eve purse theft from a supermarket.

SPECIAL
Anyone with information about the two thieves can call the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office at (706) 541-2800.

A Grovetown woman said she was shopping at Kroger, 4115 Columbia Road, about 3 p.m. Monday and briefly left her purse unattended in the shopping cart to look at merchandise, according to a Columbia County Sheriff’s Office incident report.

When she returned to the cart, the 60-year-old woman said, she discovered her wallet missing, according to the report. The wallet contained several store credit cards, her Social Security card, a debit card and $40.

A purchase was made at Target with one of the stolen cards, police say.

dichotomy
dichotomy 01/02/13 - 03:58 pm
The picture tells the story.

The picture tells the story. Everyone knows what I am thinking. Probably the first to complain if they thought they were being watched.

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 01/02/13 - 04:06 pm
The Picture Doesn't Make Sense

The picture shows two people leaving Target, not Kroger. Or am I missing something here ?

grinder48
2059
grinder48 01/02/13 - 04:12 pm
Was it on Christmas Eve or Christmas Eve?

"... in connection with a Christmas Eve theft at a Martinez grocery store on Christmas Eve" ... DUH!

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 01/02/13 - 04:22 pm
@MarinerMan

"Items taken were later linked to a purchase at another store, police say."
I assume the photo is from the aforementioned store.

Jane18
Jane18 01/02/13 - 04:31 pm
Ditto

My very same conclusion, Sean...............

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 01/02/13 - 07:29 pm
Hope they catch them

Tired of people stealing other people's property.

userone
userone 01/02/13 - 08:06 pm
YEA WHATEVER

The next time you follow me, I am going to start following you to let you know how it feel. Thieves come in all colors, shapes, and ages. The meth head is getting away while you are following me.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 01/03/13 - 02:31 am
Stolen purse

There have been quite a few occasions where I have approached ladies to remind them that their pocket books may not be safe in the cart while they are looking at merchandise. Some heed my advice, others say they are 'right there'. Thieves have tricks we don't know!

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 01/03/13 - 08:01 am
The "Duh" Moment

After I posted what I did, I had my "duh" moment. However, I see the story was also updated @ 11:30 PM. I'm old...

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 01/03/13 - 08:53 am
Moral of story...don't leave

Moral of story...don't leave your purse in the shopping cart. We will always have thieves among us; why make it easy for them?

Georgialina
Georgialina 01/03/13 - 09:06 am
Willow is right

Why in the world would anyone walk away from their purse (or wallet) with all the low life thugs in society today? My wife and I were shopping in a store in November and passed a shopping cart with an infant unattended. The child was about 3 to 4 months old and asleep. I stayed with the cart while my wife went and found the mother. She was 3 isles over. Yes, I said three isles away from her child. Good thing we found the baby instead of someone who traffics in stolen babies. I also know for a fact this store does not have any type of security cameras. Someone could have been gone with this baby without a clue to go on.
I am never surprised at the ignorance of people!

seenitB4
seenitB4 01/03/13 - 09:16 am
You know

Someone KNOWS these perps...that picture is great.....they need their behinds kicked to neverland.....makes me sick....

rebellious
22034
rebellious 01/03/13 - 09:36 am
Safety First

Each of us must take responsibility for our own person and possessions. I have started putting my wallet in my front pocket in crowds, looking around when using an ATM, etc... After Christmas, I shook my head at the boxes placed for trash pick-up which advertised who had the new flatscreens, microwaves, and on and on. Why not hang a sign up telling the lowlifes where the stuff is? Oh, and then go on Facebook to broadcast where you are at any given moment.

I know this will draw heat, but this was avoidable and the victim is as at fault as the perps.

KSL
KSL 01/03/13 - 01:05 pm
Anyone who would turn her

Anyone who would turn her back on her purse jn a shopping cart deserves the consequences.

GnipGnop
GnipGnop 01/03/13 - 01:45 pm
It should be....

Store policy to request ID from anyone making a debit or credit card purchase. I have never understood why this isn't common practice at ALL businesses.

etlinks
etlinks 01/03/13 - 02:16 pm
I don't see where NA or Aiken

I don't see where NA or Aiken was mentioned in this article, stick to the subject matter and yes crime is everywhere just pay attention.

happychimer
19587
happychimer 01/03/13 - 02:42 pm
Showing ID to use a card

Showing ID to use a card sounds like a good idea, but I also see where it might not be. There are a lot of dishonest people out there, and someone could use those card numbers to make purchases online.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 01/03/13 - 03:23 pm
Online

Yeah, but if you make purchases online, you've got to have them shipped to an address. Someone might just pay you a visit after the investigation begins.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/03/13 - 03:31 pm
plus

setting up to use a credit card on line, requires a heck of a lot more than just a card #, expiration date & verification number.

happychimer
19587
happychimer 01/03/13 - 09:31 pm
I have thanked cashiers who

I have thanked cashiers who ask for ID and to see the card.I found a big ticket item online that was a good deal,so I gave my daughter my bank card to get it for me at the store. It cost more than $400. I told her to take my drivers license with her, and to call me if she had any problem. She bought the item with my card, and the cashier did not ask for an ID.

happychimer
19587
happychimer 01/03/13 - 09:37 pm
I see the pros and cons of

I see the pros and cons of showing ID, but I think the pros out number the cons, especially when purchasing big ticket items.