Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Teen charged as adult in fatal Wednesday shooting

Thursday, Dec. 20, 2012 4:24 AM
Last updated 8:16 PM

An Augusta teenager facing murder charges will be charged as an adult in connection with a robbery attempt Wednesday evening, according to the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office.

Verdre Lamont Scott, 16, of the 2500 block of Gerbing Road, has been committed to the Regional Youth Detention Center on felony murder charges.

Police were called to the 2300 block of Amsterdam Drive around 9:40 p.m. and found the body of Martez Stephon Davis, 16, of the 3600 block of London Boulevard. He had been shot at least once.

According to a news release, Davis and Scott were attempting to rob 17-year-old James Erik Gibbons Jr. in a backyard on Amsterdam Drive. Police believe Davis fired a shot, hitting Gibbons in the leg. Gibbons, who was also armed, returned fire, fatally hitting Davis.

Gibbons, of the 2200 block of Sasser Lane, is receiving treatment for his injuries but faces charges related to the theft of a truck from the Sprint Food Store at 2202 Gordon Highway minutes before the shooting.

The homicide is Richmond County’s 31st of the year.

SPARKSTER83
SPARKSTER83 12/20/12 - 09:06 am
LIKE THIS IS REALLY NEWS!!!!

LIKE THIS IS REALLY NEWS!!!! SEEMS TO HAPPEN EVERY NITE IN RICHMOND COUNTY.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/20/12 - 02:19 pm
Scott will be charged as an adult with felony murder,

He doesnt look so tough now.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/20/12 - 02:21 pm
With Roundtree as sheriff......

perhaps this killer will get a second chance.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 12/20/12 - 02:29 pm
Fine upstanding young

"men" that the naacp should be proud of mentoring. Another fine job by an equally "fine" organized crime, I mean, organization.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 12/20/12 - 02:40 pm
Merry Christmas, young Mister Scott.

Hope you enjoy your baloney on white to celebrate the day! Bet you weren't expecting this.

Frank I
Frank I 12/20/12 - 02:56 pm
he'll learn about tough...

he'll learn about tough waiting around at Phinizy..

catawba7
catawba7 12/20/12 - 02:57 pm
Where are the parents?

This will continue to happen until adults learn to parent. Where are the parents? Where are the fathers of these young men...such an extremely sad situation.

XXYY
XXYY 12/20/12 - 03:13 pm
Am I missing something

According to the article, Davis and Gibbons exchanged shots; why is Scott being charged with murder and robbery. Seems as he was just there trying to help rob Gibbons. I'm just curious. Its a tradegy because we are losing two, possibly three young kids for something senseless.

Bubbagolf
Bubbagolf 12/20/12 - 03:41 pm
MarinerMan

In GA, if you are committing a felony act (robbery) and someone is killed in the process of that crime, the parties committing the initial felony can and will be charged with murder whether they fired the shot or not!
So basically, think about what you are doing before you do it. There could end up being greater charges than just what you are there for.

billcass
billcass 12/20/12 - 03:48 pm
Senseless

Once again, we read of the tragic loss of a young African American male, and once again at the hands of another young African American male. But will you see Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson be down here protesting this carnage? Of course not, because to do so is not politically expedient. Until we get a handle on black on black crime, we will continue our downward slide as a society. But nobody dares talk about it, for fear of angering the left. As horribly tragic as the killings in Connecticut were, we lose many more African American males every day then children that were killed in Connecticut that day. And they get no press conference, not outrage from the president, nothing. They just continue to die.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 12/20/12 - 03:51 pm
Crooks whacking each other...

Gibbons steals a truck then soon after gets jumped by two other young thugs, one of whom shoots him. He returns fire killing one of the attempted robbers.

Gibbons goes to the hospital and the remaining robber gets charged with murder. One dead thug, one wounded thug and another who's going to spend a long time in the pokey.

This, folks, is what is commonly known as a cluster #*!^.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/20/12 - 04:20 pm
billcass

Comparing 3 hoodlums to innocent children being murdered? wow.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/20/12 - 04:22 pm
we lose many more African American males every day then children

Where is your head? where is the relevance? I had to re-read the posting rules and this is all that I could say to stay in line with the rules. Geeeezus!

recoveringaddict
recoveringaddict 12/20/12 - 04:26 pm
confused

I am confused. For some reason, I'm not understanding this article. Am I missing something? Where does Scott come into play in this whole thing and who did he murder?

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/20/12 - 04:27 pm
and once again at the hands of another young African American

hoodlums.....you compared to 6 and 7 year-old-children at school of pure innocence. Let those hoodlums kill each other if that is what they choose to do. If their "parents" do not move to a better area and seek a better way of life then it is their own problem. A few more killed off the welfare system is how I look at it. Cold considered by some, but I am so sorry, I do not feel a thing when I read a story like this one right here.

Bubbagolf
Bubbagolf 12/20/12 - 04:28 pm
billcass

do not compare what happened to the innocent children and teachers in connecticut to a bunch of low life trash that are not smart enough to know that gangs and crime are going to end there life one way or another. The difference is the kids and teachers in connecticut didn't have a choicebut these idiots did. And please if black folks want to be treated equal, you might want to try to quit playing the race card on everything. People are people regardless of race. Everybody has the same choices in life when young....RIGHT OR WRONG!!!!!! It just seems like its easier just to say that something bad happened because the were black. Give me a break!!!!!

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/20/12 - 04:30 pm
Where does Scott come into play in this whole thing

"Davis and Scott were attempting to rob 17-year-old James Erik Gibbons Jr. in a backyard on Amsterdam Drive. Police believe Davis fired a shot, striking Gibbons in the leg. Gibbons, who was also armed, then returned fire, fatally striking Davis." .......murder during the commission of a crime.

billcass
billcass 12/20/12 - 04:41 pm
Bubbagolf

Respectfully, you misinterpreted my letter. My point was exactly the same as yours. Race does not matter. Blacks are killing blacks every day and it is getting little or no press. I am certainly not "comparing" the murder of innocent children to what happened to the victim in this case. I am speaking of black on black crime in general, which is rampant in our society, and every bit as tragic as any other murder of innocent human beings. And if it matters (it shouldn't) I am white. So I am hardly "playing the race card."

billcass
billcass 12/20/12 - 04:45 pm
oneofthesane

Please read my response to Bubbagolf's letter, as I believe you erroneously drew the same conclusion he did. But your comment that it is one less future welfare recipient off the streets is despicable. These are God's children. No less than you, me or anybody else. The epidemic of black on black crime in this city and in this country is a national tragedy that goes largely unnoticed and unreported on by the liberal media because it doesn't fit their agenda.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/20/12 - 04:57 pm
no billcass

you need to re-read your letter and perhaps re-write it. We all are God's children and we all have and make our own choices. No sympathy what so ever.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/20/12 - 04:58 pm
we lose many more African American males every

this sentence is a compairson....4th grade English book will show you that.

billcass
billcass 12/20/12 - 05:06 pm
You say

That taking one more potential welfare recipient off the streets (even by murder) is a good thing, and you say I should re-write my letter? Wow. I will admit that upon reflection I could, and should, have made it clearer that I was not comparing Newtown to this particular incident. I was not. I was comparing black on black crime, in which innocent people are killed every day, and which the liberal media ignores because it does not fit their agenda. My point is that innocent African Americans are murdered every day on the streets of Augusta, Detroit, Baltimore and all over the country, and nobody says anything. That does not, and should not, minimize the horror that took place in Connecticut.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/20/12 - 05:17 pm
billcass

bc, I think most people understand the point you were making.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/20/12 - 05:22 pm
Bill, I caught your angle; it

Bill, I caught your angle; it is just some people process the same words differently and arrive at contrary inferences.

I also agree that the culture of violence in the black community is largely ignored. Some just don't care if gang bangers kill each other (I and oneofthesane are two); and others just can't summon the courage to have an open and honest discussion of root cause, because it will ruffle feathers.

In my opinion, it is an issue that has to be addressed and solved from within, because if someone with less melanin offers opinions that sting, a whole deck of race cards get played.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/20/12 - 05:32 pm
How About Adding

me in there (...) too.

Pops
Pops 12/20/12 - 05:40 pm
Sounds like a fair fight

Both sides were armed with pistols.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/20/12 - 06:03 pm
Robbing and killing each

Robbing and killing each other at age 16. Was the rent due?.. light bill due?... baby needed a coat, shoes?....children hungry???? Why?

KSL
KSL 12/20/12 - 06:33 pm
Pops

Fair? 2 against 1? All teens? Carrying weapons?

Something is hugely wrong with this scenario and with our society.

Senseless is right but used in the wrong connotation. It seems that far too many young people of today don't have the sense we had when we were young.

KSL
KSL 12/20/12 - 06:43 pm
Just another bunch of model

Just another bunch of model citizens. No wonder gun sales are out the roof. If their parents are not going to parent, we might as well save the cost of educating them.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/20/12 - 06:44 pm
itsanotherday1

I have always said something about it. I've been met with varying degrees of anger and misunderstanding in the black community - all Augustans, because where I'm from there is a very different mentality.