Government

More News | | | Editor

Roundtree sworn in as Richmond County sheriff

Asks public for prayers, support in new office

Sara Caldwell/ Staff

Richard Roundtree asked for the community’s prayers and continued support Thursday as he was sworn in as sheriff of Richmond County.

Back | Next
Superior Court Chief Judge Carlisle Overstreet (left) laughs with Richard Roundtree after administering the oath of office during a swearing-in ceremony.  SARA CALDWELL/STAFF
SARA CALDWELL/STAFF

“I pray we will savor this day because this day belongs to us,” Roundtree said to a crowd of county officials, law enforcement and members of the community outside the John H. Ruffin Jr. Courthouse.

The crowd pulled out cellphones and cameras as Roundtree’s oath of office was administered by Superior Court Chief Judge Carlisle Overstreet. Afterward a murmur of “amens” and whispers of its being “a great day” were heard throughout the crowd.

Roundtree, the county’s first black sheriff, referred to the day as “a time for a new beginning” and asked law enforcement and others to become leaders and set an example.

Patrick Clayton, who will become chief deputy after Roundtree takes office in January, said he has watched Roundtree closely since he first shared his desire to become sheriff eight years ago.

Clayton, who is the chief of safety and security at Richmond County schools, served as Roundtree’s supervisor before his election.

“I was proud to see the sheriff sworn in today,” he said.

Rosa and Bobby Roundtree also expressed pride at their son’s accomplishments.

“We made it,” Bobby Roundtree said immediately after watching his son deliver a speech.

A free reception luncheon followed at Beulah Grove Baptist Church.

On Jan. 4, an Inaugural Charity Gala at the Legends Club on Washington Road will continue the celebration. The black-tie event will raise money for several local charities. It will include dining, dancing, silent and live auctions, and a reaffirmation of the oath of office.

Tickets for the January gala can be purchased at Roundtreeforsheriff.com or by calling (706) 495-6874.

omnomnom
omnomnom 12/20/12 - 01:06 pm
Good luck, Sheriff

Good luck, Sheriff Roundtree.
Your supporters and opponents will be watching closely.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/20/12 - 01:10 pm
Today starts the 1st day of his official duties

While I did not support him at any stage of the election.
I promise, I will honestly judge him going forward.

I also pray he turns out to be the excellent Sheriff that 2/3's A-RC felt he would make for us.

boomhauer
boomhauer 12/20/12 - 01:33 pm
The Administrative nightmare

The Administrative nightmare for the Sheriff's department begins...watch out for the little mistakes, slip ups, and a gradual steady decline of the RCSD. A lack of experience and incompetence are the usual causes and it's gonna be interesting to watch.

Edward1968
Edward1968 12/20/12 - 02:24 pm
Easy to Watch

We will need to watch him closely based on his record as a LEO. He should be easily watched in the brand new SUV we bought him.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/20/12 - 02:29 pm
Good Luck Sheriff Roundtree

I'm pulling for you.

BamaMan
BamaMan 12/20/12 - 02:37 pm
This day

belongs to us. Who?

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/20/12 - 03:11 pm
BamaMan

You beat me to it. smgdh!

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/20/12 - 03:13 pm
Sweet son
Sweet son 12/20/12 - 03:29 pm
“a time for a new beginning” “I pray we will savor this day

because this day belongs to us,” Roundtree said. Wonder just what he means? New beginning 'cause "us" are in charge. I actually wish him luck but as Richmond County politics go in general he has a tough row to hoe!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 12/20/12 - 04:24 pm
Sweet son,

Sweet son, whatchutalkinbout???? "....a tough row to hoe!"?? I thought everyone knew that Roundtree doesn't mess with no "hoes" anymore! He's the top-cop now. All kidding aside, I honestly hope he does a good job for all of Richmond County!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/20/12 - 04:48 pm
Does this mean...

We can do anything we want now?
I'm kidding ,I'm kidding!!
Congratulations Sheriff Roundtree! WOO HOO!

Frank I
Frank I 12/20/12 - 04:51 pm
Nice to see the Mayor's show

Nice to see the Mayor's show of support (/sarcasm off)... and I'm sure that by "this day belongs to us" he was referring to the group of supporters there to witness the swearing in..

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 12/20/12 - 05:00 pm
Ah...Richard

Ah...Richard Roundtree.........do solemly sway-uh.........to stay away from dat sleazy moh-tayul........on Gordon Hah-way........

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/20/12 - 05:33 pm
I Was Looking At The Picture

and was wondering if there are any White folks living in Richmond County.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/20/12 - 05:35 pm
I Only Hope & Pray

that Richmond County has done something right for a change.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/20/12 - 06:02 pm
I wish this man the best and

I wish this man the best and pray he does a wonderful job but I have an issue with

"Roundtree, Richmond County’s first black sheriff, referred to the day as “a time for a new beginning” and asked law enforcement and others to become leaders and set an example in the community."

Ask them to be leaders and set an example in the community.....What in the blazes does he think our LEO's have been doing? Most out there have been setting an example and being leaders in our community. Doesn't say much for his opinion of our current officers (IMO).

Frank I, you may be correct on the meaning of Sheriff Roundtree's words but seems to me he should have been precautionary in his speech/words to avoid the appearance of only being for a particular portion of the community. If a few on here questioned it, I'm sure there is plenty more in the community that questioned his meaning also.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/20/12 - 06:14 pm
Haven't I Heard Something Similar To This Before?

“a time for a new beginning”

"I WILL TRANSFORM AMERICA"

If there is a comparison, I sure hate to see the new beginning.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/20/12 - 07:18 pm
I just wish the best for all

I just wish the best for all law enforcement. I hope he does the right thing for the community. Cleaning up the streets of criminals, drug dealers, murderers hopefully will be priority #1.

oldredneckman96
oldredneckman96 12/20/12 - 11:27 pm
Shaft

Richard Roundtree, Who da man? Shaft, he's the man! Hope he is half as good as the movie. Good luck to him anyhow. He needs it and more in the CSRA just to survive.

Frank I
Frank I 12/21/12 - 02:57 am
meh..

It's a line you hear all the time from incoming politicians.. the only reason there's question for many is because he's the "first black... " and the Caucasian audience is conspicuously missing from swearing in..
imho anyway..

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 12/21/12 - 04:16 am
Now I get it

Last week it was "who is they?" Today it's "who is us?" Us is They. Get it? Anyway, I wonder if the pictures of good ole boys being run out of town will be in Spotted?

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 06:55 am
Tree??

I don't see any white folk in that pic....that isn't pc now is it...ya need to get a few & put them in the front pew.....yaknow.....gotta look good for the white folk too....

bclicious
bclicious 12/21/12 - 08:49 am
WE will see!

All I can say is that we will see!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/21/12 - 09:29 am
Gang violence

As proclaimed by you, Mr. Roundtree - these are your people - you now must stop all your kids from killing each other/robbing/killing innocent people. I would love to see you succeed. Good luck and God Bless. You are in my prayers!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 12/21/12 - 10:06 am
All the Sheriff's receive new

All the Sheriff's receive new cars paid for by taxpayers; atleast he didn't order the limo:)

The article didn't mention the deputy swearing in; when is that taking place. I hope none of them lose their jobs for political or personal spite.

Roundtree has an enormous opportunity and challenge, I hope he can live up to it. He should choose his counsel wisely.

Grandpa Jones
Grandpa Jones 12/21/12 - 10:28 am
....

"I don't see any white folk in that pic."

The event was open to ALL people. So the question should be " Why the whites didn't show up to support their new Sheriff?"

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/21/12 - 10:38 am
LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/21/12 - 12:16 pm
We got took to the woodshed

And Sean aint no fun
Brad Owens said we were a bunch of bigots - and if we were going to act like this we needed to take it somewhere else. Man alive, we could have had a field day with him!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/21/12 - 01:09 pm
Rtree

I wish the man well...I want him to clean up Richmond county...what I put on here earlier is exactly what whites have heard for years....where are the blacks .....the ratio count thingy.....that isn't a bigot that is just honest talk.....what is good for the gander type thing & to be blunt...Mr Rtree will have to have tough skin .....I'm sure he has heard more....Good luck Tree..

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 12/21/12 - 03:36 pm
Here is a cleaned up message...appears folks are offended

I heard a bunch of folks on the morning show on WGAC and then some folks on Austin Rhodes' show that are already predicting Richard Roundtree is not going to be in office a year. I love it when they say "race should not matter" then they talk about how "they" (African-American voters) voted for Sheriff Roundtree because he was "black" yet ignore the fact that the vote margin gives him a substantial "white" voting block. We will support our new sheriff and not pray for his demise because he happens to be "black" or hope for his failure because that's what they expect from "those people"... I predict Sheriff Roundtree (I like typing that) will be a tremendous success and his programs will make a difference in our community, I know I will be working to help him in any way I can, we all should.