Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Scam costs 66-year-old Augusta woman $50,000

Wednesday, Dec. 12, 2012 1:18 PM
Last updated 7:17 PM

An Augusta woman was scammed into sending $50,000 to a man in Malaysia for construction projects, according to Richmond County authorities.

The 66-year-old woman sent the money over several days in October to a man who identified himself as Bruce Nelson, with whom she had been having a relationship over the phone and Internet, according to a a police report.

The woman said that she never met Nelson but that he sent her a photo. She told police she now has doubts that Nelson is the man in the picture.

She has not been able to reach Nelson.

MrMatthews
MrMatthews 12/12/12 - 01:33 pm
The smart/cunning preying on

The smart/cunning preying on the stupid/ignorant? And this makes the news? I hardly think 66 years old is "elderly" enough to cause a loss in judgement. Pathetic that this makes the news.

Farmboy
Farmboy 12/12/12 - 02:09 pm
WAKE UP PEOPLE

If you meet someone over the internet, or anyone anywhere that you don't know, DON'T GIVE THEM MONEY IF THEY ASK FOR IT. Heck, you should be concerned about giving money to people you do know let alone someone you have never met before. If something does not seem right, it probably isnt.

InChristLove
InChristLove 12/12/12 - 02:13 pm
There are a lot of lonely

There are a lot of lonely people out there and most who are scammed are naive to how the world is and usually very trusting people. Sad.

Itsallnew11
Itsallnew11 12/12/12 - 02:16 pm
I bet that is not him in the picture....

go to scamwarners.com and you can see pics of this man. These are pictures that he has stolen from some unsuspecting very handsome gent. You can also enter his e-mail address on there and it will bring up his scamming information if it has been reported under that address.

I wonder if it contains "blue eyes" or Malcolm. I would be interesed in knowing. He is a smooth talker but wasn't smooth enough to get me to send him money.

I'm sorry he scammed you but my new philosophy is: If I can't smell, him, kiss him and put my hands on him then I can put my money in his account. Ladies beware!

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/12/12 - 02:57 pm
Why all the sweet old ladys

have so much $$$$$. An so little understanding of Trust but Verify?

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/12/12 - 03:06 pm
That was an expensive date!

That was an expensive date!

Jake
Jake 12/12/12 - 03:08 pm
@Itsallnew11

The next time I travel back to Augusta you can smell me, kiss me, put your hands on me and keep your money.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 12/12/12 - 04:08 pm
May

"nelson" rot in hell.

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/12/12 - 04:50 pm
Some do not need descrecinary money

The very young and the senile. You just have to wonder. You cannot trust people in your own church must less strangers and above all politicians.

Dixieman
Dixieman 12/12/12 - 05:19 pm
Dixieman has 4 billion points

Obama steals this much from Americans for wasteful projects every 1.3 seconds, so who's the bigger crook?
My sympathies go out to this lady but what she did was really foolish. She should have known better.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 12/12/12 - 07:40 pm
Jake

is being bad!

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/12/12 - 07:44 pm
66 is not that old and if you

66 is not that old and if you are that age and can operate a computer, you should know when someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. If not, it just cost you 50K to learn.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/12/12 - 08:49 pm
My mother is 80 and it will

My mother is 80 and it will be snowing in Hades before someone beats her out of a nickel. She could hold him, kiss him, smell him, and feed him; but if he doesn't have his own money he will be out of luck.

It is just sad and shameful that so many people are trusting, or lonely, or desperate, or greedy, and fall for these scams.

Grandpa Jones
Grandpa Jones 12/12/12 - 11:49 pm
...

Let's not forget about mental illness including Alzheimer's. Mental illness can result in irrational behavior such as giving money/items away. I used to have a client who suffered from Bipolar Disorder. Whenever he got off his meds, he would become suspicious about having his money in a bank and would withdraw his money and give it to a lady who stayed in his apt complex. Lucky for him, this lady was honest enough to inform me of what he had done and would hold onto his money until I could get him admitted to the hospital and back to taking his meds, again.

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 12/13/12 - 04:25 am
One word.

Lonely.

Grandpa - you can't possibly blame this on "mental illness"...I tried that with this article and it didn't go so well.....I guess we are still picking and choosing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/13/12 - 07:53 am
Relationship over phone/internet

How does that work......can't touch-feel-kiss......just how does it work.....can't be consumated......sweet words won't get you pregnant......is this phone sex that I hear about??

OHH brother.....how lonely some are....desperate really...

Itsallnew11
Itsallnew11 12/13/12 - 09:29 am
Thanks Jake I will remember that :-)

I did online dating for about 5 years after my divorce and if you think you meet characters at the Deans Bridge Road WalMart....men on the internet actually have them beat. LOL...glad that part of my life is behind me now :-)

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/13/12 - 10:20 am
ICL said it all

As long as there are lonely people who are naive and trusting of everyone they will continue to be taken advantage of by the sharks that prowl the earth looking for lonely souls.

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 12/13/12 - 10:34 am
If Bruce Nelson Should Ever Visit Augusta

I think we could probably assemble a little "Welcome to Augusta" visitation for him...under the 15th Street Bridge.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/13/12 - 10:39 am
Henry....no one claimed the

Henry....no one claimed the person in your article WASN'T mentally ill. Just that he is still dangerous. No one is picking and choosing anything. It's just absurd to equate a mentally ill person being scammed to a mentally ill person who shoots other people.

oneofthesane
oneofthesane 12/13/12 - 01:51 pm
It is quite possible for the

It is quite possible for the mentally sound to make mistakes. Some bigger than others, but mistakes nonetheless. I wouldnt quite think she was insane or ill. She was smart enough to save up at least 50K. hey. The kind at heart and generous in nature often fall prey. May little mercy be shown when lady karma comes knocking on his door.