Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man shot to death, possibly after surprising burglar

Sunday, Dec. 9, 2012 5:50 PM
Last updated 6:39 PM

An Augusta man was shot to death Saturday night, possibly after surprising a burglar in his home, authorities said.

Deputies found the body of Hester Wilfred Jackson, 56, inside his home in the 2700 block of Willis Foreman Road a little before 9 a.m. Sunday, according to a statement from Richmond County Sheriff’s Lt. Blaise Dresser.

Investigators think Jackson arrived home Saturday evening and stumbled upon at least one person burglarizing his house, Dresser said. No other details were being released Sunday, he said.

Richmond County Deputy Coroner Johnny McDonald said Jackson’s body was sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab in Atlanta for an autopsy to be performed Monday.

Anyone with information can contact the sheriff’s office at (706) 821-1020 during business hours or anytime at (706) 821-1080.

This is Richmond County’s 30th homicide of 2012.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/10/12 - 11:28 am
countyman said....."homicide

countyman said....."homicide is one type of crime." and "you are getting a basketball court at Diamond Lakes."

"homicide is one type of crime"....you damned right it is....and it is UP in our area. countyman, I have concluded that your perception of what is important to US and OUR perception of what is important to US are in two different universes.

I perceive that if a homeowner in my historically pretty safe area is killed IN HIS HOME by a low life punk thief, AND I pull up the crime map each week and see tick marks in my area where there weren't any 6 months ago, then the crime rate is UP. Why? Because for US that is the reality.

Could that be because, as usual, the most emphasis on law enforcment, along with most of our tax money, is going "downtown" and even though you MAY have dropped the county wide crime rate for SOME crimes by a smidgeon you have driven the thieving murderers out to where there is no law enforcement. We don't actually have law enforcement PROTECTION out here. But they will show up 20 minutes after we call and take a report from us.....if we are still alive.

countyman
countyman 12/10/12 - 12:38 pm
Patty P.. I think you need to

My original comment was directed towards Father time, and the same few people always rush to respond. I bet SeenitB4 couldn't wait because the crime took place in South Augusta, and Patty P is always anxious to report on crime articles.. Now go read the article concerning Augusta being ranked 2nd in high tech growth, and you'll find zero comments from them.

I also find it hilarious that people who live in Atlanta(much dangerous than Augusta) want me to bring up Augusta's crime problem. When do they ever come on here and mention the crime in Atlanta?

Patty P.. I think you need to understand the difference in thoughts.. People explaining the crime rate of Augusta doesn't mean they want acknowledge the crime problem. Every single city in the US deals with crime weekly. I think you want people to jump on your sky is falling bandwagon, and you become irritated when people choose not to.

Seenitb4.... Willis Foreman rd is not a dangerous area, and this could have taken place anywhere in the CSRA. The majority of new homes are probably over 200k. You have to compare the crime rate per capita since the population of South Augusta is near 100k. Why is the sky always falling in Augusta specifically South Augusta? The city of Aiken probably has around 8-9 homicides, and the population is only around 30k.. Yet, nobody is saying people will move unless the crime is cleaned up. That's probably because Aiken is whiter, and the crime won't generalize the entire area.

Fathertime... I never said the homicides victims in Augusta cared about the crime rate versus Athens.. I'm simply responding to the comments made from somebody else.. I always hope you realize those homicides include domestic violence, the 81 year old from Lincolnton who killed his own family member, etc. It's not just that cut and dry as you make it seem.

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/10/12 - 12:46 pm
And where did I say it was cut and dried?

I merely responded to your always telling us how crime is down and the news relating a different story. South Augusta gets triple tax and no service. We are lucky to get a police response in less than 20 minutes. That's not any police officers fault. It's the county's fault for only looking out for our tax dollars not our well being. BTW the city of Aiken had 4 homicides in 2010 and projected to have 2 in 2012. You are way off. If I was off as much on Augusta's homicides I could say Augusta has 90. See how important the truth is?

countyman
countyman 12/10/12 - 01:00 pm
I love how you changed your

I love how you decided to change your original comment to include Aiken, but you're completely wrong.

Aiken has a total of 8 homicides this year, and were not including the areas with the address only.

West Augusta is much bigger than Aiken/North Augusta, but always has less homicdies.. That's why I always laugh at the Richmond County sky is falling comments. Richmond County is similar to any other main county in the United States(nice, okay, and bad areas).

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/10/12 - 01:05 pm
Wrong...

Aiken county and the city are different. You said the City of Aiken not the county. The pop you quoted is the City pop not the county. So I changed my post? I did it to keep from adding another post after I added my research. You got a problem with that?

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/10/12 - 01:04 pm
BTW...

You changed your post too..

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/10/12 - 01:08 pm
Well the City of NA

Is safer than them all...not sure what West Augusta comparison has to do with anything. If you want to start that argument I can say South Augusta is more dangerous than anyplace in the CSRA.

countyman
countyman 12/10/12 - 01:16 pm
All of the addresses are

All of the addresses of the homicides were located in Aiken, except for the one in New Ellenton.

I know you don't want to mention West Augusta, Summerville, Southwest Augusta, etc because it won't fall in line with your sky is falling theory. Those areas help make up the over 200k in Richmond County too.

I would love to see the crime rate of South Augusta versus North Augusta, Harlem, Grovetown, etc per capita.

North Augusta is safer than them all? Aiken is much richer compared to the North Augusta area.

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/10/12 - 01:17 pm
Once again...

So what? When did monetary value come into this? If you don't like my post then ignore me...but when you post half truths I will respond.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/10/12 - 01:20 pm
ha ha

Countyman the reason why I never mention crime in Atlanta is because if the criminals are caught, they are dealt with and not given a FREE RIDE for whatever stupid reason. The only time in my life I was a victim of crime was in Augusta and it makes me furious to see people doing all they can to protect the thieves and thugs in your area. I know lots of people that have had to deal with crime at some point but the results and outcome are very different. I can completely understand how smilesrfree feels because I feel the very same way. There isn't a single person that I know that lives outside of Augusta that hasn't formed a negative opinion of the place. That in itself should tell you something Countyman. And NO, I don't have a 'sky is falling' opinion but if Augusta doesn't do something different and quit playing games with the thugs around there, I'm quite sure Augusta's sky will be falling - and I WILL NOT be there.

countyman
countyman 12/10/12 - 01:28 pm
What half truths? The same

What half truths? The same few people have their opinions, and I respond with facts. I'm laughing because you never share anything, but your own personal opinions.

Show your facts behind the comment North Augusta is safer than them all? The safer general area is, then the real estate prices will respond accordingly.

It's also funny how you respond to me every time, but you won't me to ignore you.

North Augusta is cheaper than the Central Business District, and barley more expensive compared to Grovetown/South Augusta.

Icount2
Icount2 12/10/12 - 01:26 pm
Afraid

Times have really changed and unfortunately we all need to start protecting ourselves by what ever means we have. For me it means excercising my right to carry a gun. I never thought that I would have to do so but crime is every where, not just South Augusta. It is down town Augusta too. Martinez and Evans as well. I unfortunately believe that it will get worse before it gets better. God bless this family who lost their loved one.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/10/12 - 01:29 pm
countyman

your problem is you are CONSTANTLY comparing some other city or area to Augusta's. At some point comparison's shouldn't matter. One man being murdered in his own home is already one too many.

countyman
countyman 12/10/12 - 01:44 pm
Patty P.. There's millions of

Patty P.. There's millions of people living in the US, and the opinions of the people you know aren't the majority. The recent GHSU study clearly showed us the overwhelmingly feeling towards Augusta.

''Those polled were also asked how the word “Augusta” made them feel. Most, 45.8 percent, said “no feeling either way,” while 44.2 percent said it gave them a positive feeling and only 2.7 percent said negative. In the faculty survey, University of Augusta also received the most favorable ratings, with 68.3 percent, and was the one most associated with “prestige,” “excellence,” “innovation” and even “national.” When asked what they most associated “Augusta” with, many threw out golf, the Masters Tournament, the South and, being academics, some brought up Roman emperor Caesar Augustus.''

The crime rate of Augusta is always lower than Atlanta's. Atlanta is also even more liberal compared to Augusta. I don't understand the logic how they're so much tougher on crime. I think metro Atlanta should be the one focusing on locking up criminals since we don't even have multiple cartels yet.

Fathertime... How is the comment about the homicides in Aiken a lie? Click on the addresses for yourself and see. I live downtown, and tell people it's safe all the time. The sheriff even did a study to show how safe downtown is. It's funny that you don't seem to care about the sheriffs or my opinions though. I think part of the problem is some people who have lived here too long. They still hold own to their feelings from 10-20 years ago that aren't reflective today.

happychimer
19565
happychimer 12/10/12 - 01:44 pm
My daughter and her 2 yr. old

My daughter and her 2 yr. old were gone just a few minutes Saturday afternoon. When they got back, a neighbor yelled and told her she saw 3 men in her yard and back porch, with hoods or masks over their heads and faces. The neighbor hollered at them and called the sheriff dept. The men ran. The family pet, a pit bull, was in the house. If they would have broken in, they probably would have shot the dog. It could have been the same men.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/10/12 - 01:45 pm
I never even compared the

I never even compared the crime rate of Atlanta to Augusta. What I will say, is if myself or my family (in the area in which we own homes) EVER have a problem such as a break in, the police are GLAD to lock them up. Augusta was on the pity train before, and now more than ever since Roundtree is concerned about locking up offenders. It's an insult and slap in the face to anyone who is doing the right thing in life to be treated like that for the sake of saving the souls of criminals. The first year I moved to Augusta I had friends from all over the country tell me things about Augusta that I denied until I saw and experienced it for myself. People who live there are immune to the differences but for someone who has lived elsewhere, they can see things very clearly. There is a problem in that city and people like you are the reason why things will never change.

happychimer
19565
happychimer 12/10/12 - 01:45 pm
and worse, she could have

and worse, she could have surprised the men and she and her child harmed.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/10/12 - 01:48 pm
"the opinions of the people

"the opinions of the people you know aren't the majority. The recent GHSU study clearly showed us the overwhelmingly feeling towards Augusta."
You just contradicted yourself in the above statement. Who did the GHSU ask those questions to? Augusta Residents? GHSU students and faculty. Those are obviously NOT the opinions of the majority.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/12 - 01:49 pm
countyman does NOT read

When you say this...

Do you know where the MAll of Ga is?? 7 miles from me ....Buford Ga....Atlanta area......to say Willis Foreman doesn't have crime is ridiculous...a man was just killed there & I know FOR A FACT HOW MUCH THERE IS...
It could be more if the folks living there weren't on their toes all the time..geez....I used to play rose colored glasses song for you...now it will be WAKE UP little susie!!

countyman
countyman 12/10/12 - 01:54 pm
Actually the $172 million

Actually the $172 million Starbucks, and $115 million Rockwood plant are both under construction.. Then you have Five Guys, Hampton Inn hotel, the new Georgia Power facility coming to the Corporate Park, Augusta Regional 200 acre Industrial park/$7 million General Perry Smith Pkwy, $20 million vocational high school... Expect to hear another company moving into the Corporate Park next year.

The way some people continue to go off topic is exactly my point. They just have a personal bias against Augusta in terms of anything. How is this even related to a homicide?

Patty P.. ''There was a third wave of 241 people nationally that was labeled “Final Results for the Last Set of Names''.

This had nothing to do with the faculty or local students. I'm positive you didn't talk to more than 241 people either.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/12 - 01:54 pm
The crime here is what upset me this am

BUT your failure to admit the problems in Augusta upsets me too....dang...the way you post I would think you work for an agency in Augusta that promotes travel/business/selling...IMAGINE THAT!!!

Don't worry because folks have had enough crap....the tide will change....it won't be pretty ..

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/10/12 - 01:57 pm
lol. Have those interviewed

lol. Have those interviewed ever actually lived in Augusta? It's easy to say sweet things about a place when you havn't experienced it. If someone asked me how I feel about NYC I would say it's great, but wouldn't want to walk the streets there late at night or ride the subway.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/12 - 02:00 pm
People go off topic

Now I'm choking here....please let me know when you are posting that again....I had something in my mouth & almost choked on it.....I guess listing over & over about stores & fast food restaurants relates to what we are talking about on here....geez
I know you don't want me to get choked....LOL

stop it.....laughing & choking...now I have to run to the ole restroom......dang ....stop doing this to me.....☺

countyman
countyman 12/10/12 - 02:11 pm
I don't know why people can't

I don't know why people can't understand the difference. They claim I don't admit the problems of Augusta, because I don't join in on the sky is falling weekly comments. When do they ever mention the positives of Augusta? The recent article on Augusta ranking 2nd in high tech growth had a grand total of two comments. The articles about the unemployment rate increasing always have more comments than the articles stating the unemployment rate dropped.

It's also funny how even after me explaining to people downtown is generally safe(i live there), and sheriffs Ronnie Strength crime study on downtown. They don't want to admit downtown is safe, and will rush to comment on articles on about crime downtown just to make a point.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/12 - 02:11 pm
Have to stop now...

I will have to stop reading now.....don't want to choke/lol/run to bathroom again......geez....have you beem going to comedy clubs ctyman....

:):):):):)

countyman
countyman 12/10/12 - 02:33 pm
Father time.... I notice you

Father time.... I notice you continue to bring up the homicides, but want tell me the homicides outside the city limits of Aiken. I've already taken away the murder in the New Ellenton area of Aiken County.

Are you denying the cop was killed in the city of Aiken earlier this year? I see Eustis Park, Braby Lane, Cherry Hills, etc included the city of Aiken map below.

Patty P.... I'm positive some of those people have visited Augusta before. Augusta is third in terms of tourist the state of Georgia, and I don't know why you think it's so bad. NYC is one of the safest large cities in the US including where you live in Atlanta. I think you're confusing the NYC of the 90's with the one in 2012. People can stay out in Times Square all night without major problems really.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/12 - 02:34 pm
Raise your hand

Now how many on here are talking about Aiken.....what ..no one but ctyman....
this bait & switch trick has to stop.....why not talk about California...that is where Jake lives...he posts on here .....let us ck the stats there & see what crime looks like......or why not RM fav place ludowici.....what is the crime THERE.....don't limit yourself ctyman....geez wish I could stay & play...BUT work is calling...

harley_52
harley_52 12/10/12 - 02:36 pm
Crime...

....is now a fact of life, folks. Unfortunately, complaining about it, or wishing it would go away isn't an effective means of dealing with it.

It ISN'T just Richmond County. It's everywhere. It's one of the many results of liberalism. Police who are afraid to do their jobs for fear of being sued, or losing their jobs. Judges who are more concerned with political correctness and criminal rights than with justice and victim rights. Cushy prisons with Air conditioning, color TVs, job training, libraries, and politically correct wardens. Criminals are now unafraid of being caught, or being sentenced to prison time. They no longer fear either the police, or the criminal justice system. Liberalism has brought near anarchy and expecting it to change for the better any time soon is pure folly, and moving out of Richmond County to escape it all is too.

Several of us on here have spent time giving you the ONLY advice that will help you deal with it. Learn how to use the weapon of your choice and prepare yourself for self protection. There's nothing whacko or macho about self-protection. It has become the only method available to you that may help you protect your property, your family, or yourself.

Those who argue against it are living in a dream world.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/12 - 02:43 pm
100 thumbs up harley

You ae right in all that you said....no one wants to be macho...just safe..

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/10/12 - 02:49 pm
Another lie...

I have said (on several occasions) that I think downtown is safe. Certainly safer than Gordon Highjway. I have also said I love what Augusta was and can be but we have to quit burying our head in the sand and address the rampant crime and the unfair tax system. I only comment on your borders of the CBD because I find it laughable how you take a few block area and claim it as a safe haven. If that's your logic then Bay Street from 5th street to Reynolds on the left side of the road is the safest place downtown.