Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man shot to death, possibly after surprising burglar

Sunday, Dec. 9, 2012 5:50 PM
Last updated 6:39 PM

An Augusta man was shot to death Saturday night, possibly after surprising a burglar in his home, authorities said.

Deputies found the body of Hester Wilfred Jackson, 56, inside his home in the 2700 block of Willis Foreman Road a little before 9 a.m. Sunday, according to a statement from Richmond County Sheriff’s Lt. Blaise Dresser.

Investigators think Jackson arrived home Saturday evening and stumbled upon at least one person burglarizing his house, Dresser said. No other details were being released Sunday, he said.

Richmond County Deputy Coroner Johnny McDonald said Jackson’s body was sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab in Atlanta for an autopsy to be performed Monday.

Anyone with information can contact the sheriff’s office at (706) 821-1020 during business hours or anytime at (706) 821-1080.

This is Richmond County’s 30th homicide of 2012.

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/09/12 - 07:08 pm
Awaiting the usual suspect...

Who will tell you how safe ARC is....also kind of ironic that this story is right under one telling us how assaults and burglaries are down this year....

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/09/12 - 07:18 pm
It all has to do with how....

ARC chooses to classify crime. It is is you know. Just like the unemployment figures. It is all in the pencils, so they say.

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/09/12 - 07:20 pm
30 murders are better than 3 a year.

To the 31st individual of course and those kingdom builders on Broad St.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 12/09/12 - 07:29 pm
This could happen anyplace

... in the country, no use pointing the finger at Augusta and its environs. The predators have pretty much hunted out all the game in the city; what makes anyone believe the suburbs will remain (semi-) safe?

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/09/12 - 07:39 pm
And sadly, people are so

And sadly, people are so AGAINST throwing burglars in jail. It's dangerous, and nobody should have to live in a community that doesn't want to keep these thugs off the streets.

nheath
nheath 12/09/12 - 07:44 pm
I have know Hester since the

I have know Hester since the 6th or 7th grade. He was a good man. It's a shame is happen to him. I hope they find who did this. Life is unfair sometimes and this is one of them.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/09/12 - 07:48 pm
This crap never ends...

Same song & dance ....too bad he didn't have a gun with him..this is the 2nd death in the southside in the last days.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/09/12 - 07:52 pm
Awaiting to see Additional details.

Most of these are big houses, well spaced apart and on large lots.

One thing for sure I am willing to bet the Burglar Alarm companies are already swarming like buzzards in the area.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/09/12 - 07:59 pm
QUESTION?

Why do we have a Coroner?

Lately most, if not all victims are being sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab in Atlanta for an autopsy.

vibe1
vibe1 12/09/12 - 08:05 pm
Maybe if he had owned one of

Maybe if he had owned one of those "horrible" pitbulls.....

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 12/09/12 - 09:41 pm
This could be...

This could have been you or me. One next door neighbor of mine confronted a burglar this year, thankfully, my neighbor was armed at the time and the burglar wisely turned and fled the way he came. Another neighbor left in the morning, came back a short time later and she just missed the burglar, who kindly left his prints which were swiftly identified. Do you realize we have had 30 homicides this year in Richmond County? Athens has had 5, BTW.

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/09/12 - 10:20 pm
AutumnLeaves..."we have had

AutumnLeaves..."we have had 30 homicides this year in Richmond County? Athens has had 5, BTW'"

Demographics....big difference in demographics.

OC......all deaths other natural causes in a nursing home, hospice, or hospital pretty much have to go to a crime lab. The coroner is not qualified to do anything except run the meat wagon and sign a death certificate. I think the only requirements to be elected coroner are a GED or HS Diploma and be 25 years old. I think you have to attend a course at the GA Police Academy after you are elected. I thought we had built a state crime lab here. What happened to that?

The low life scumbag punks, thieves, and murderers are working out our way but I think they are going to find more people out here that are willing and better prepared to blow their little heads off if they get the chance.

One thing for sure. With the very thin sheriff's patrols out this way we are on our own.

We get about as much police protection out here as we get STORMWATER SYSTEM.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 12/09/12 - 10:44 pm
Pain

I feel your pain, Dichotomy. The sheriff's patrols will taper off next year in order to grant Shaft's "second chance" campaign.

TK3
TK3 12/09/12 - 11:52 pm
Be prepared !

Always be prepared and NEVER go ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, unarmed.
Remember when seconds count, police are only minutes away.

Summer Moore
Summer Moore 12/09/12 - 11:59 pm
Coroner

OpenCurtain: The autopsy can only be performed by a medical examiner in Georgia, and only the GBI has them. The coroner and deputy coroners help the Sheriff's Office in the death investigations, and sometimes will determine if there needs to be one, but cannot perform the actual autopsy. There is a GBI lab in Augusta, but it isn't open everyday.

rebellious
20630
rebellious 12/10/12 - 12:22 am
Close to home

Folks, take heed. This will get worse before it gets better. And no, I am not a doomsdayer, a Prepper, or otherwise Alarmist. I am a realist.

In the nether reaches of our county, you have anywhere from 10 to 15 minute response time on a Sheriff's Deputy. On a good day. Slightly better if you live near Hephzibah or Blythe and there is an officer on duty. And if they feel it is a serious threat situation, and I can't blame them, they will call for back-up to respond.

That being said, you must take self protection into your own hands. And don't just go buy a gun you have no idea how to operate. Get some training. Shoot the thing at some targets. Get accustomed to it. Make your family aware of it. Make your family shoot it.

Then when you arrive home of an evening, and a strange car is in the driveway, walk around the house before opening the door and entering. If you think family is at home, call them and ask who is visiting. If they answer strangely, call the law, then take up stance to defend your loved ones.

Yea, yea, I can see the responses now. I am a nut, I am crazy, I am placing myself and family at risk. I tell you this, everyone in my house knows where the weapons are, how to use them, and when to use them.

And if the good Lord is with me, I will not be caught unawares or unprepared. God Bless the family of this man, whom I do not know. But God have mercy on the person who breaches my perimeter. This would mean he has dispatched my beloved dog, and that does not sit well.

The best defense is a good Offense. Now for the nerdowells who may read these posts (not likely I know), figure out which home on Willis Foreman road is mine. You only have to be right one time to win your just reward.

Forewarned is Forarmed.

Interesting read is this interview with John R. Lott Jr., Author of the book "More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws".

"Hear me now und Believe me later" Hanz and Franz.

countyman
19731
countyman 12/10/12 - 01:03 am
It's pretty sad that people

It's pretty sad that people would use such a tragic incident to further push their agenda forward. Nobody cares if you dislike Augusta, but don't try to force your views onto the rest of us.

Autumn Leaves.. One thing to remember is Richmond County is over 200k and Clarke County is listed at 117k people. Keep in mind homicide is one type of crime. The FBI crime rate of Augusta is lower compared to Athens though.

Augusta 360.9 per 100k
Athens 376.3

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/10/12 - 01:30 am
countyman...

What agenda? What views? To arm themselves so they can be safe in their own homes? I'm sure everyone sympathizes with the family of this man, but the truth remains - people are going to have to prepare themselves for incidents like this. Innocent lives depend on it.

countyman
19731
countyman 12/10/12 - 01:43 am
My statement had nothing to

My statement had nothing to do with your comment. I do find it strange you gave me a thumbs down, but you're not exactly sure what I meant.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/10/12 - 01:54 am
I didn't say it had anything

I didn't say it had anything to do with my comment.

Patty-P
Patty-P 12/10/12 - 02:03 am
If you ever want businesses

If you ever want businesses and decent people to WANT to live in Augusta, people need to be more concerned about crime there. I can't understand why people there are so afraid of admitting there is a problem and deal with it. The more people turn a blind eye to the TRUTH, the worse it will get.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/12 - 06:36 am
Rebellious=a very wise man...

Today the first news I see is crime crime crime...
A womans car trunk was broken into at Mall of Ga...all purchases were taken & damage to car door & trunk==
also at Mall of Ga a lady was using her Iphone & it was jerked from her hand ---guy ran off into a waiting car...described as a young black male..
just afew miles away from Mall of Ga at Kroger parking lot a lady was pulled & assaulted until she gave up her purse....thug was described as a young black male...
You can call me racist if you want to ...I'm giving the facts as the news described them....like it or not we HAVE A PROBLEM HOUSTON..

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/12 - 07:41 am
and countyman

You don't have a clue....MORE people will leave south Augusta if it isn't cleaned up....people are sick to death of crime...we don't hate AUGUSTA....some don't even report some crimes...they gave up....didn't do any good....new buildings won't make people safe...geez

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/10/12 - 08:26 am
About Willis Foreman rd area

I have some friends living on that road....do you want to know how they keep their farm equipment in back of the house>>>>
They had to BOLT IT DOWN IN THE GROUND.....with heavy chains..

F4therTime
F4therTime 12/10/12 - 08:54 am
The FBI crime rate of Augusta is lower compared to Athens though

Like this matters to the 30 murdered victims and their familes????

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/10/12 - 09:06 am
Summer Moore - Thanks

Thanks,
Well written given the limited official information you have to work with.

I learned something new today.
After reading The Georgia Death Investigation Act (O.C.G.A. 45-16-20) and I now clearly understand why the local Coroner does not do it anymore.

It is clear with only 30-50 murders a year, Augusta does not have, nor want the numbers to justify a full time M.E. staff.

However, in checking the GBI- ME site I did note:
"Autopsies are conducted by GBI medical examiners at the headquarters laboratory in Decatur and in the regional laboratories in Augusta, Macon, and Savannah. "

I am guessing we are trans-shipping murder victims to Decatur due to statewide budget cuts.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 12/10/12 - 09:20 am
As of yesterday

The wife quit asking why we bring our pistols with us when we go out and they are the 1st things we bring in when we return.

smilesrfree
smilesrfree 12/10/12 - 11:45 am
Mad as Hell

I too have been burglarized Saturday night. My daughter and myself came home to all my lights being on,when I didn't leave them on. I believe whoever did this was still in the house as I pulled in my driveway,because they left other things they could have taken,more then likely we scared them off. They stole somethings from me,but the one thing they did get,which is something my son worked so hard for his whole life ,which was his State Champion Ring for Basketball. Here he is training to serve for our country in the Army,to have to come home to know that his ring is gone. Whoever did this,can have everything else they stole,I just want his ring back! It could have been worst,because sometimes my sixteen year old is at home by herself,and I thank God she wasn't home at that time. I am not from Augusta,moved here five and half years old,and I'm really not liking being here anymore. I feel violated in my own home, I'm scared to leave my home,let alone leave my daughter home alone.. I'm a single mother,working and trying to make a dollar out of 15 cent,and I'm mad as hell that people out here don't care about other people,or their things! I work hard for the things I have,and they can do the same! I wouldn't mind getting a Alarm,but like I said, I'm a single mother,trying to make a dollar out of 15 cent. I can't sleep at night,worrying about our safety. I just don't know what to do. My heart goes out to this man and his family,nobody deserve to die in this way. And I hope they catch whoever did this,and lock them away for a very long time!

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 12/10/12 - 12:15 pm
Countyman sez........

"Homicide is one type of crime".

Well aint that dandy!

If you haven't been murdered recently, you have nothing to worry about. Just move along, folks. Nothing to see here.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/10/12 - 12:27 pm
Why

do some people say "lock them away for a very long time!" It never happens, so your wish is fruitless!

In a murder, Death is the only way you will get "Very Long Time". Period.

Commissioners seek attorney general's opinion on SPLOST

Two Augusta commissioners are seeking an opinion from Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens on the city's disbursement of sales tax proceeds to non-profits.