Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Richmond County investigator accused of rape freed on bond

Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012 6:37 PM
Last updated 8:53 PM

A Richmond County sheriff’s investigator accused of sexual assault was released from jail Tuesday on a $25,000 bond.

David T. Dutton, 35, had been held in the Columbia County jail since Nov. 20 on charges of rape, aggravated sexual battery, illegal surveillance and false statements.

A Martinez woman filed a complaint Nov. 12 saying he used his phone to take pictures during a sexual encounter that occurred while she was unconscious.

Dutton has been suspended without pay pending a hearing before the review board.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/04/12 - 07:46 pm
Let's clarify this article.

Let's clarify this article. The previous story, if I remember correctly, stated the complaintant was the deputy's wife, not just some woman.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/04/12 - 08:12 pm
WB

That's the way I remember reading it?

justputtin
justputtin 12/04/12 - 09:09 pm
Correct

This doesn't pass the smell test. Misuse of phone, breach of trust? Yes. Rape? Doubt it. Showing or sharing video? Potentially. He should be charged with a lesser crime. If he showed anyone the video and i was her relative, i would hurt him. Rapists should be put away for life or shot. This case doesn't sound like that. Just my opinion.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 12/04/12 - 10:29 pm
Yes, I remember it the same

Yes, I remember it the same way and pointed out the conflicting details to Barry Paschal. Times article said one thing and AC another.

jmo
jmo 12/05/12 - 05:50 am
WB

That's the way I read the initial article. I had been looking for a followup story.

soapy_725
soapy_725 12/05/12 - 11:27 am
Barry says he always gets it right.

It is his job to listen. Quote.

Frank I
Frank I 12/05/12 - 12:12 pm
The initial article did refer

The initial article did refer to the victim as his wife. It's possible the subsequent articles left out that detail in an after-the-fact attempt to better protect the identity of the victim. As far as the charge of rape, if the victim was not lucid and certain activities took place then it most certainly IS an accurate charge, but it will be up to the jury to decide that matter

happychimer
happychimer 12/05/12 - 02:00 pm
I read somewhere that they

I read somewhere that they are now separated or divorced