News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Woman who robbed disabled Augusta man gets 7 years in prison

A woman who robbed a 82-year-old disabled man at knife point was sentenced Thursday to seven years in prison.

Shanigue M. Robertson, 33, pleaded guilty in Richmond County Superior Court to robbery, false imprisonment, a weapons charge, and criminal damage to property. In addition to the prison term, Judge J. Wade Padgett imposed 10 years of probation that Robertson will begin after she finishes the prison term.

On July 3, Robertson followed Sam Morrison from the Circle K on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, where he cashed his monthly Social Security check. Assistant District Attorney Titus Nichols told the judge Robertson pushed Morrison out of his wheelchair and threatened him with a knife to get his cash.

In a second case, Robertson admitted she broke into the Cherry Tree apartment complex and ripped out metal pipes between Dec. 16 and Jan. 3.

didyaronamus
didyaronamus 11/29/12 - 06:07 pm
Is it worth time lost

You have to ask yourself if it was worth it. Robbing someone of their money only to lose many years of freedom. There is no one to blame but yourself for this.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 11/29/12 - 06:20 pm
Those

dadgum Tea Party people. Always causing trouble while the "law-abiding" left never spends a day in jail.

tanbaby
tanbaby 11/29/12 - 06:41 pm
but now it's just more free

but now it's just more free room and board and food and health care etc...just like it was anyway....

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/29/12 - 07:15 pm
Actual JAIL time.....I'm

Actual JAIL time.....I'm shocked. Way to go Judge Padgett. I would have gone for 20 years but that's just me.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/30/12 - 01:28 am
I'm actually surprised at the

I'm actually surprised at the sentence too. Usually people like this get off with a slap on the wrist and probation.

Grandpa Jones
Grandpa Jones 11/30/12 - 03:27 am
...

How about applying so-called, "backward" Islamic law to robbers...where one hand and one foot get amputated.

Grandpa Jones
Grandpa Jones 11/30/12 - 03:28 am
....

Mali robber describes pain of Islamic amputation

wayne2410
wayne2410 11/30/12 - 06:07 am
I would not want to turn

I would not want to turn myself into a bloodhound just because it would improve my sense of smell and I sure as heck want nothing to do with islam just because it would improve our punishment of theives.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/30/12 - 08:47 am
wow Grandpa Jones

Now that is punishment!

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/30/12 - 10:10 am
Lets Give Grandpa Jones - a Hand

A good Alternative Sentencing Option
In this case I would agree remove the hand and save the Taxpayers
$150.00 a day, about $384K over 7 years. Not counting jail time medical expenses for 7 years.

I wonder how many felons would take the option if it was offered?
Would it be by sword or Doctor.

Would it be illegal to reattach the hand to preclude Super Rich type thieves and etc. from skirting the law?