Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman says driver in Augusta Mall parking lot almost hit her child

Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2012 11:32 AM
Last updated 2:54 PM

A 26-year-old mother told police Monday that a driver in the Augusta Mall parking lot almost hit her child in a stroller.

According to an incident report, Victoria Aiello, of Martinez, was in the parking lot about 1:30 p.m. Monday trying to buckle her 1-year-old into a stroller when a Volkswagon Beetle beside her began backing out. Police said Aiello told the driver she was there and would be out of the way soon, but the driver continued to back toward her child.

After Aiello tapped on the driver’s window, the driver jumped out of the vehicle cursing, told Aiello she didn’t care about the child and then raised her hands as if she were going to hit Aiello, the report said.

Aiello left the area with her child.

lddist
lddist 11/28/12 - 12:39 pm
wouldn't it have saved a lot

wouldn't it have saved a lot of drama to just move out of the way?

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/28/12 - 12:39 pm
"Police said Aiello told the

"Police said Aiello told the driver she was there and would be out of the way momentarily"

I wasn't there so I really don't know but I suspect there was some attitude going on here with both ladies.

My thought was, when the mother noticed the car backing out, why didn't she notify the driver she was behind here AND THEN MOVE OUT OF THE WAY. Why deliberately put yourself and your child in harms way. Seems to me the polite thing to do is say excuse me, move over behind your vehicle so the impatient driver can back out and be on her merry way.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 11/28/12 - 01:18 pm
Yeah, but...

What kind of narcissistic lunatic would keep backing out toward a little kid and then fly into an intimidating rage over being thwarted like this VW driver did? Who cares what kind of self-absorbed dork the mom is.

I would have given her an elbow under the chin if she had approached me and my baby that way, and I'll just bet she does get it from someone down the road.

She gives Bug lovers a bad name.

LLArms
LLArms 11/28/12 - 01:35 pm
Regardless of what appears to

Regardless of what appears to be lack of common sense on the mother's part - this still does not qualify her of "deserving" of anything happening to her child.

The driver backing out should have shown more concern for that child, even if the mother was not.

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 11/28/12 - 01:51 pm
The Driver Was Wrong

And apparently had some attitude issues. I would say something else, but it would probably get me in trouble...

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/28/12 - 02:12 pm
Well since we only have the

Well since we only have the word of the mother, we could speculate all day long. Yeah if the driver continued backing up, I'd say she was a lunatic.....but why in the world would a mother even allow her child to be put in that position of harms way. I wouldn't have said I'd move momentarily, I would have moved my child out the way right then. Why was it even necessary to be in the driver's way? there should have been plenty of space behind her own vehicle. I just have a feeling there is more to the story than what this mother has stated but most likely we'll never hear it. Mother needs to learn to put her child first and the crazy impatient driver needs to take an anger managment course.

Dudeness
Dudeness 11/28/12 - 02:33 pm
Somehow I doubt the word

Somehow I doubt the word "momentarily" was ever used in the course of this incident.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/28/12 - 02:35 pm
What ICL said! I strongly

What ICL said! I strongly suspect mom had an equal part in the escalation.

rebellious
rebellious 11/28/12 - 02:58 pm
Mall

This is why I stay out of the mall. People walk 4 abreast with total disregard for others, rudeness, etc... Now that I think about it, I guess I don't go to the movies for the same reason.

Bet a dollar to a donut hole they were both Democrats. Hee Hee

KSL
KSL 11/28/12 - 05:37 pm
ICL

What we don't know is the attitude of the mom. She could have been in the way and deliberately taking her time.

Have you ever stopped to let pedestrians pass by only to note them deliberately slow down and take their time. I have noticed an increasing amount of lack consideration of others over the years.

KSL
KSL 11/28/12 - 04:37 pm
rebellious

Your example is just what I am referring to.

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 11/28/12 - 04:59 pm
Welcome to the holiday

Welcome to the holiday season...where people are even more impatient than any other time of the year. Only if the focus was placed on the REAL reason for the season and not material things.

KSL
KSL 11/28/12 - 06:04 pm
One has to wonder why the mom

One has to wonder why the mom would have reported the incident. I would not have. She was obviously in the the way, if the stroller was almost hit. Wish we could hear the other side of the story.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/28/12 - 06:52 pm
My Opinion Is

With the given facts, this whole topic boils down to 2 things***

Lack of Respect and Lack of Common Sense for all parties involved.

KSL
KSL 11/28/12 - 07:23 pm
Actually that would be a

Actually that would be a misplaced modifier. The juxtaposition of the prepostional phrase and the noun it is modifying is correct, in this case. Drag out your diagramming skills.

You are correct. Changing it to a clause would have been much better.

KSL
KSL 11/28/12 - 07:25 pm
But not for the reason you

But not for the reason you stated.

specsta
specsta 11/28/12 - 08:57 pm
This is not surprising.

This is not surprising.

Augusta drivers do not understand common rules of the road. Speeding through parking lots, as if it were a roadway, is typical. Tailgating, speeding, using a middle turn lane as a driving lane, red-light running, stop sign running, lack of turn signal usage, failure to yield for pedestrians, etc. is the way of life here.

God forbid that you wait for an intersection to be clear of traffic before making a right turn on red - or some genius behind you will start honking their horn.

Augusta has the worst drivers I have ever witnessed. Probably the worst in America.

KSL
KSL 11/29/12 - 01:50 am
Who said the VW driver was

Who said the VW driver was speeding? I got the idea that mommy d was selfishly taking up space. You haven't been to Boston???

KSL
KSL 11/29/12 - 12:19 pm
Yep,if you will read with a

Yep,if you will read with a bit of comprehension, mommy said it was someone BESIDE her. Speeding was not involved. Running stop signs were not involved. Turn signals were not involved.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 11/29/12 - 07:52 am
KSL...

If you would "read with a bit of comprehension" specsta's comments you would see that those were examples given of poor drivers here in the CSRA. I happen to agree, drivers here are idiots.

JRC2024
JRC2024 11/29/12 - 09:23 am
Brad, it's the same

Brad, it's the same everywhere. Go to Italy, Germany, or France. I would be a nervous wreck if I had to drive there. I suspect there was a little estrogen play going on there and to report it to the police was just stupid. No accident and no one hurt. The mother should have never put her child behind someone else's car and should have moved when she heard the car start.

bigj706
bigj706 11/29/12 - 09:36 am
I have to agree with worse

I have to agree with worse drivers statement using the turning lane as a merging lane is habit here in Augusta

harley_52
harley_52 11/29/12 - 10:19 am
" I happen to agree, drivers here are idiots."

You paint with a pretty broad brush, young fellow.

You drive?

harley_52
harley_52 11/29/12 - 10:33 am
I Think The Key Word Here Is....

....."Almost." Woman says driver "almost hit her child."

What, exactly, does that mean?

Nobody was injured, nobody was arrested, nobody is being sought by police.

I almost spilled my coffee. I almost tripped. I almost slammed the door on my finger. Heck, thousands of people almost won the lottery last night.

Every day lots of things "almost" happen and yet, through it all....life goes on.

I'm wondering how a story like this makes the newspaper in the first place.

KSL
KSL 11/29/12 - 12:24 pm
Brad, FYI

I am well aware of what specsta was attempting to do. Any chance to get a dig in on the locals, right?

freeradical
freeradical 11/29/12 - 09:00 pm
Ah , the " Hoildays " ! We

Ah , the " Hoildays " !

We are overdue for our first " holiday " murder .

Should not be long now .