Crime & Courts Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Dead shoplifter's wife says, 'He didn't have to die'

Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2012 7:35 AM
Last updated 7:26 PM

ATLANTA — The wife of a shoplifting suspect who died after he was wrestled to the ground outside a Walmart said Tuesday store employees used too much force to subdue him.

Vidal Calloway died Sunday after he was taken down in the parking lot of a suburban Atlanta store and put into a choke hold by a security guard as employees held him down and waited on authorities to arrive, according to a police report. Calloway, an ex-convict, was accused of stealing two Blue Ray DVD players.

“I don’t think that it should’ve happened,” Calloway’s wife Fatimah Calloway said. “He didn’t deserve to die over a DVD player.”

About 1:30 a.m. Sunday, a store manager asked Calloway for a receipt near the door and he ran out of the store, according to the police report. The manager, Michael Burton, grabbed Calloway and slammed him down to the ground, but Calloway fought back, punching Burton in the face, neck and chest, according to the police report. The security guard, Jaiviere Pruitt, rushed Calloway and the three men fell to the ground. Pruitt put Calloway into a headlock because he was still fighting.

He “told the suspect to tap when he can’t breathe,” store employee Phille Roberts, who also helped hold Calloway down, told police.

Emergency medics tried to treat Calloway, but he was unresponsive. He was later pronounced dead at a hospital. Detectives were awaiting autopsy results to determine exactly how Calloway died.

Burton and Roberts have been suspended with pay and Pruitt, a contractor working security with the store, will no longer work there, according to Bentonville, Ark.,-based Wal-Mart Inc.

“Associates are trained to disengage from situations that would put themselves or others at risk,” Wal-Mart Inc. spokeswoman Dianna Gee said. “That being said, this is still an active investigation and we’re working with police to provide any assistance.”

Calloway had a criminal record that includes shoplifting, forgery and substance abuse.

F4therTime
F4therTime 11/27/12 - 08:48 am
Look...

He didn't have to steal either. You make it seem like he was this poor innocent guy that people just rushed up to and put a choke hold on. He was stealing property and he was fleeing. He put others in danger. I'm not saying he deserved to die for his actions but the blame is squarely placed only on one person...Vidal!

JRC2024
JRC2024 11/27/12 - 08:56 am
Amen to that F4therTime. He

Amen to that F4therTime. He may not have had any money but the store owner used his to purchase the products to sell so the store could make a profit and provide income and jobs to its employees. No tears from me. When you place yourself in a dangerous situation bad things happen.

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 11/27/12 - 09:08 am
No, he didn't have to die. He

No, he didn't have to die. He could have surrendered when caught instead of trying to flee. Did he deserve to die? No. Did he make a very stupid decision? Absolutely.

If you cannot afford the player, you probably can't afford the DVDs either. What a waste.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/27/12 - 09:23 am
While no man should be beaten to death

for shoplifting items. I will say the Wal-Mart staff, based on initial reports, drastically over reacted.

But a thief is a Thief and this one showed his career was stealing not working.

Using the above info posted, let us look at his background a little Note:this was just page 1 of a quick Google search.

Names / Aliases:
TODRICK BROZON CALLOWAY
TODRICK CALLOWAY
TODRICK BRUCZON CALLOWAY
VIDAL CALLOWAY
TODRICK BROZON CALLOWAY

Note: results below are only on his legal name.

Note: was even arrested a few days prior on another shoplifting charge. See November 7, 2012.

Sooner or later his habits had to come to an end.
IF he had been placed in jail for and extended period of time for any of these numerous crimes. He would not have been in the Wal-Mart at 1:30am stealing again.

allhans
allhans 11/27/12 - 09:28 am
He didn't have to be there.

He didn't have to be there.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/27/12 - 09:36 am
$$$

If he had made a trip by the cash register on the way out he would still be with us.....
If I'm on a jury about anything like this I won't find security guilty......only if the guy is in a wheelchair & on oxygen & blind....

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 11/27/12 - 09:39 am
No tears here. He may not

No tears here. He may not have deserved to die, but he had all the power in the world to prevent it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/27/12 - 10:12 am
Just Look At All The Comments

from yesterday and today at all the support this Poor Incident Repeating Criminal is getting from the Bleeding Hearts that are for crime.

How can some humans think like they do?

Jane18
Jane18 11/27/12 - 10:50 am
A Thief is a Thief is a Thief

It looks as if this guy's occupational title would be criminal. He had a choice to steal or not to steal. It seems he has made the decision to steal several times, and nothing ever made him see he needed to stop. He must have been pretty good at thievery, probably had it down to an art, there is no telling what all this man Has stolen And gotten away with it. I very much believe in the death penalty(for murderers and rapists), but this man brought on and caused his own death.I wonder, just where did his wfe think he was at 1:30am?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/27/12 - 11:12 am
I'm putting my body armor on,

I'm putting my body armor on, so fire away.

I have little sympathy for anyone who dies of their own stupidity. That includes people who didn't have a seatbelt on, no helmet, driving recklessly, SHOPLIFING, robbing, burgling, and so on.

I certainly don't wish death upon them, well, the majority anyway; and I do feel for the families. They have to live with the knowledge that the death was preventable, and that is painful. Heaven forbid the same happen in my family, but if it does, I stand by my convictions.

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 11/27/12 - 11:16 am
No Sympathy

He didn't have to be a common shoplifting thief either, but he was. We the people, do not "OWE" anyone, anything. We all have a molecule of compassion inside us, but we do not feel compelled to help someone who is not willing to put forth some effort and help themselves.

TParty
TParty 11/27/12 - 11:26 am
So an employe- a person who

So an employe- a person who was told not to touch customers because they are not trained and don't know the legal limits of their actions of say... security people, followed a person outside, and killed a human being over some cheap chinese crap- and everyone seems okay with this?

You guys know we live in a country with laws, where there is a trial and a judge and jury- and that is how punishment is handed out? Not by some wal-mart employee making 8 bucks an hour.

my.voice
my.voice 11/27/12 - 11:31 am
To every action there is an

To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
-Sir Issac Newton

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 11/27/12 - 12:10 pm
It wasn't that serious

For this very reason, walmart's policy states that you should NOT become physical with a shoplifter....so everyone involved broke a rule...now they have to live with their actions... Even though the guy stole, the employees caused his death, not his habit of stealing.

Darby
Darby 11/27/12 - 12:25 pm
Even though the guy stole, the employees caused his death, not

his habit of stealing......

Now that's just plain dumb!!!!!!

F4therTime
F4therTime 11/27/12 - 12:26 pm
How do you know they did?

Have you some supreme sight into the fututre? How do you know he didn't suffer a heart attack that was not related to this? Drug overdose? Anything else? I am so glad that you have all the facts before everyone else does...thank you so much. He made his own bed. Without his theft (which another poster has documented as his way of life) he would still be here. His choice led to the circumstances.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 11/27/12 - 12:30 pm
Interesting to see his rap

Interesting to see his rap sheets over the years and his physical ...er.....progression. Early busts have him at 140lbs. Later arrests show him up around 200lbs.

Put on a little weight there.......life must be good in the shop-lifting profession.

Darby
Darby 11/27/12 - 12:46 pm
Amazing!!!!

TParty - I really hope that you live a long and happy life. But when you do go, may I suggest that you donate that brain to science? The world might make giant strides in the effort to understand flawed liberal thinking by studying and analyzing it.

Wonder what would have happened if the perp had just accepted the fact that he had been caught in a dishonest and illegal act and had just given up like a normal, rational person? Bet that thought never even occurred to him.

gcarver1
gcarver1 11/27/12 - 12:53 pm
ok

its walmart people they have plenty of money, if an older person was able to get the products outside of walmart then walmart needs to beef up security i mean come the dude was old. no one should die for that its just not right but that is the price of the all mighty dollar these days ummm dvd player or death hmmm which to chose.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 11/27/12 - 03:37 pm
Bantana
2086
Bantana 11/27/12 - 03:54 pm
It saddens me deeply to read

It saddens me deeply to read these remarks. There is absolutely nothing Christ-like in their cavalier and callous attempts to quantify what is justice.

KSL
KSL 11/27/12 - 04:12 pm
It saddens me that a career

It saddens me that a career shoplifter has been allowed to roam free with a history of over 16 arrests. No telling how many times he got away with his thievery.

allhans
allhans 11/27/12 - 04:34 pm
Tparty...I understood that

Tparty...I understood that liberals believe in choice. As Jane18 said, he made a choice. Life is all about the choices WE make...even to our mates..bless their heart.

KSL
KSL 11/27/12 - 04:37 pm
'He didn't have to die."

He didn't have to steal, either.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/27/12 - 06:08 pm
Bantana

In my book, "Justice" was served.

If he was turned over to our Judicial System...justice would never have been served!..Period...Past history proved that.

specsta
specsta 11/27/12 - 06:50 pm
Hearts Made Of Ice

By reading some of the callous and heartless comments on this comment board, I am further convinced that mankind is doomed.

What if that had been your son or your daughter choked to death because of a petty theft? Would it be "justified" then???

specsta
specsta 11/27/12 - 06:54 pm
@Cobalt George

Was there some traumatic incident in your past that caused you to have the opinion that anyone who makes a mistake should pay the maximum penalty? I mean, a loaded gun pointed at the viewer is your avatar, for God's sake...

KSL
KSL 11/27/12 - 07:18 pm
specsta

I don't think it so much being cold hearted. I think there are plenty of Americans tired of crime, tired freeloaders, just plain tired.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/27/12 - 08:14 pm
specsta

This may sound hard core to a bleeding heart, but I raise 5 sons that had one thing embedded in their minds, If they were ever to murder, rape or rob (including taking something that was not theirs), they would never have to worry about the action of a judical system. I would be the one to face, Judge, Jury and executioner.

I have made past comments that I have no enemies except the ones that stick a gun at any member of my family or in my face. The only other human that I classify as my enemy are any body that believes in the words of the Qu-ran.

I have received many email cursing my Avatar, I could care less what their feelings are. If it affect you, click "Ignore"

In the 90s,I spent over 2 years in over 200 Murder court cases throughout the CSRA Judicial circuit and some outside of the circuit. I have seen Justice and Non-Justice. I will accept first time minor violations of the law, but a repeat...Never...You are classified in my book as a non-member of society.