Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Dead shoplifter's wife says, 'He didn't have to die'

Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2012 7:35 AM
Last updated 7:26 PM

ATLANTA — The wife of a shoplifting suspect who died after he was wrestled to the ground outside a Walmart said Tuesday store employees used too much force to subdue him.

Vidal Calloway died Sunday after he was taken down in the parking lot of a suburban Atlanta store and put into a choke hold by a security guard as employees held him down and waited on authorities to arrive, according to a police report. Calloway, an ex-convict, was accused of stealing two Blue Ray DVD players.

“I don’t think that it should’ve happened,” Calloway’s wife Fatimah Calloway said. “He didn’t deserve to die over a DVD player.”

About 1:30 a.m. Sunday, a store manager asked Calloway for a receipt near the door and he ran out of the store, according to the police report. The manager, Michael Burton, grabbed Calloway and slammed him down to the ground, but Calloway fought back, punching Burton in the face, neck and chest, according to the police report. The security guard, Jaiviere Pruitt, rushed Calloway and the three men fell to the ground. Pruitt put Calloway into a headlock because he was still fighting.

He “told the suspect to tap when he can’t breathe,” store employee Phille Roberts, who also helped hold Calloway down, told police.

Emergency medics tried to treat Calloway, but he was unresponsive. He was later pronounced dead at a hospital. Detectives were awaiting autopsy results to determine exactly how Calloway died.

Burton and Roberts have been suspended with pay and Pruitt, a contractor working security with the store, will no longer work there, according to Bentonville, Ark.,-based Wal-Mart Inc.

“Associates are trained to disengage from situations that would put themselves or others at risk,” Wal-Mart Inc. spokeswoman Dianna Gee said. “That being said, this is still an active investigation and we’re working with police to provide any assistance.”

Calloway had a criminal record that includes shoplifting, forgery and substance abuse.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/27/12 - 08:14 pm
specsta

This may sound hard core to a bleeding heart, but I raise 5 sons that had one thing embedded in their minds, If they were ever to murder, rape or rob (including taking something that was not theirs), they would never have to worry about the action of a judical system. I would be the one to face, Judge, Jury and executioner.

I have made past comments that I have no enemies except the ones that stick a gun at any member of my family or in my face. The only other human that I classify as my enemy are any body that believes in the words of the Qu-ran.

I have received many email cursing my Avatar, I could care less what their feelings are. If it affect you, click "Ignore"

In the 90s,I spent over 2 years in over 200 Murder court cases throughout the CSRA Judicial circuit and some outside of the circuit. I have seen Justice and Non-Justice. I will accept first time minor violations of the law, but a repeat...Never...You are classified in my book as a non-member of society.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/27/12 - 08:23 pm
Additionally

I have no tolerance to any violation of "The Ten Commandments"

Georgialina
Georgialina 11/27/12 - 09:02 pm
Specsta stated: What if that

Specsta stated: What if that had been your son or your daughter choked to death because of a petty theft? Would it be "justified" then???

Now back to the story, I am reminded of a saying."If you are going to be dumb, then you got to be tough" The wife says he didn't have to die, I say he didn't have to be a career criminal either. We all have the ability to make choices in life. Looking at his rap sheet he has made his choices and now he is reaping his rewards. Do I have sympathy for this thief, NO my sympathies go out to the men who risked their lives to stop this criminal's crime spree and what they are now having to face. If his lazy no good butt had got a job instead of robbing people, then this would have never made the paper to start with!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/27/12 - 09:27 pm
Georgialina

Listen*****Do you hear anything?

KSL
KSL 11/27/12 - 09:32 pm
Nothing!

Nothing!

ralphinga
ralphinga 11/27/12 - 10:30 pm
just selling papers

Why is the Comical raising this as an issue? What's right is right and what's wrong is what's wrong .

specsta
specsta 11/28/12 - 12:56 am
100% Certain?

Georgialina wrote: "I can 100% assure you that my son and/or or daughter would NEVER be in that situation because my wife and I raised them much better than that."

Good for you. However, a person never knows what situation they may find themselves in.

There are innocent citizens who have been stopped by the police and have wound up dead. There are bad cops that have killed innocent civilians and have lied to cover it up. This happens more than you realize. Those victims' parents never thought such a thing could happen to their kid. Look at Trayvon Martin. His father never imagined that his child would be dead because he wore a hoodie.

Some folks live in a world of peaches and creme, with the white picket fence, the new car, the good jobs, and access to a quality education. Some folks don't. The ones that understand street life would NEVER make such a statement with 100% certainty that their child would never be a victim due to lies or a set-up.

This is the great divide in America - those who trust the government, the police and the courts with 100% whitewashed trust, and those who know better. Any citizen can be caught up in a situation where they are falsely accused, judged and condemned for something they did not do. Let's hope none of our children ever go through that.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/28/12 - 07:03 am
Geez Specsta, this isn't

Geez Specsta, this isn't about some innocent kid being stopped by the police.....this is about a grown man walking out of a store with two DVD players without paying for them and when confronted, he puts up a fight. And because you seemed to have forgotten, Travon didn't die because he wore a hoodie.

"Some folks live in a world of peaches and creme, with the white picket fence, the new car, the good jobs, and access to a quality education. Some folks don't"

So that justifies stealing and putting up a fight when caught? This man didn't die because of "lies and a setup". He was a thief, plain and simple.

Understand street life??? If you raise your children to work hard, value family, be honest and have integrity, and respect others....then you don't have to worry about your kids understanding street life, stealing for a living, and ending up dead because of a life of crime.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/28/12 - 07:16 am
specsta

Yes, It is a Dirty Rotten Shame that Vidal Calloway had to be a victim due to lies or a set-up.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/28/12 - 08:04 am
ICL

My one liner didn't say it as good as you did. I didn't see your post before posting mine.

bigj706
bigj706 11/28/12 - 08:27 am
Now if the Walmart people

Now if the Walmart people went out and he slit their thoats would everyone think that dvd was worth it thats why as a worker for the company you dont go after the robber let security handle it.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/28/12 - 09:29 am
Sharia law would have saved his life.

I have a limited understanding of Sharia law, but if I understand the Stealing punishment part correctly and even though the maximum sentence of any violation of law is not applied in every case.

Professional Thieves - lose a hand(s).
Given the guys numerous arrests and convictions. This guy would be alive today (without hands), because he could not have continued his criminal career, long before this attempt.

Sad part, if alive, minus hands, he'd likely qualify for SSD.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/28/12 - 08:56 am
Misrepresentation

Specsta posted:

Trayvon Martin is dead because he violently attacked a person with a gun.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/28/12 - 08:59 am
Security

bigj706 posted:

. . . thats why as a worker for the company you dont go after the robber let security handle it.

I thought that security was handling it in this instance. The security guard was the one applying the choke hold.

bigj706
bigj706 11/28/12 - 09:18 am
The employees were also

The employees were also helping but it was security with the choke hold

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/28/12 - 09:29 am
Just Wondering

if all the comments that have been posted supporting this life long criminal, if this individual had been white, would the comments have been the same?

How many times have you seen the white community supporting white crime?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/28/12 - 09:32 am
I Am The Security Guard

of all my property. If I ever ever saw an unknown human removing anything from it without my say so (even a .05 cent nut), all I can say is that a funeral home would be receiving addition income.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/28/12 - 11:39 am
Mistake?

"that anyone who makes a mistake should pay the maximum penalty"

See, this is what is wrong today; premeditated and/or serial criminal activity is a "mistake".

mis·take (m-stk)
n.
1. An error or fault resulting from defective judgment, deficient knowledge, or carelessness.
2. A misconception or misunderstanding.

Nothing he did met these definitions; except fighting when caught. That was defective judgment and a "mistake" that cost him his life.

bigj706
bigj706 11/28/12 - 12:38 pm
I want to know who is

I want to know who is supporting this guy because he is black because somebody here thinks people wants to give the guy a break because he is black I MUST be miss reading the wrong comments because I havent seen that one.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 11/28/12 - 01:01 pm
Cavalier?

...my comments were no more "cavalier" than the creep who decided for the 16th time, (that we know of) he had a right to someone else's property and acted accordingly....
I'll grant you that death is a harsh penalty to pay, but hey as "proggies" like to say..."If it saves ONE child it's worth it"....

Maybe some kid out there who was thinking about how cool it would be to steal a DVD player from Wal-Mart will think twice about it....

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/28/12 - 01:05 pm
No problem in your post CG

No problem in your post CG (7:04am). Sometimes a point has to be repeated before people finally understand and get to what the truth is.

bigj706, it is not a matter of whether the DVD player was worth it or not. The value of the player or the value of this man's life has nothing to do with it. In the eyes of God, this man's life was precious, but sometimes God allows our circumstances to play out and in the process our consequences are not always pleasant. My prayer is that this man was hopefully saved by Grace (although he wasn't living for Christ) and even though on earth he lived worldly, in Christ he has been redeemed. God's way is not our way and what we see as horrible, God sees as salvation. If Mr. Calloway had continued on the path he choose to live, who knows how much worse it could have been, not only for him, his family, and society.

bigj706
bigj706 11/28/12 - 02:10 pm
Ok I see what you are saying

Ok I see what you are saying ChristLove good point.

specsta
specsta 11/28/12 - 04:32 pm
The Bigger Picture

So many folks live their lives looking through rose-colored glasses. They believe that if they follow the rules, salute the flag, pay their taxes, have 2.5 children, get a degree, pay their bills on time, and work 20 years on the same job that it will be smooth sailing.

They would NEVER find themselves in a situation of desperation, because that is not how their world works.

They know they will get a college education. They know they will have a car to drive. They know that they will get a job. They know they will live in a house. They know they will live in a nice neighborhood. They know if they get sick, they will have medical care. They know if a tooth starts aching, the dentist is on 24-hour notice. They know they will have a comfortable life.

These are the folks who believe that if trouble knocks on your door, it's because you must have done something wrong. If food is scarce in the pantry, some lazy oaf in your household is too lazy to get a job. If there is no car, you must have been too dumb to graduate high school and go to college. If you get sick, it's your own fault - not because you don't have preventative healthcare or are able to buy healthy foods.

Believe it or not, some folks have hard lives. They live in despair and can't see their way out. There is no one co-signing a loan for them. There is no one making sure they have the best education. They have never known the joy of having their own home. They choose between buying medicine or buying food.

So, continue to condemn other folks who do not live the same life of privilege that you live. Continue to ignore their needs. Just be safe and comfortable in your own little world.

KSL
KSL 11/28/12 - 04:57 pm
specsta

What on earth has happened to you in your life to cause you to have the opposite view of the world. America has been the land of opportunity.

I frankly don't know anyone who has lived a charmed life, enduring no bumps in the road or even major setbacks.

bigj706
bigj706 11/28/12 - 05:54 pm
I like what you said specsta

I like what you said specsta life happen just because its not what you are use to in your everyday life doesnt mean its not happening some people will go to their grave struggling. Thats just the way it is not because they are lazy as everyone like to put people in groups its just the cards they were delt. No warp view just seeing what really happens in the world.

SemperParatus
SemperParatus 11/28/12 - 07:15 pm
Settlement

The sad part of this story is that Walmart stockholders will pay through the nose to settle this case and it will be in the millions of dollars!

studmuffin1533
studmuffin1533 11/28/12 - 08:39 pm
Wal-mart undeserving.

I'm willing to bet that the Wal-Mart employees who stopped this criminal do not get 40 hours, have benefits, or make a livable wage.
Hard to imagine why these employees would put themselves into harm's way, expose themselves to criminal liability, and take a life for such a company.
Who here thinks Wal-Mart will step and show the same level of loyalty to these employees that they showed Wal-Mart? Darned few.

myfather15
myfather15 11/28/12 - 09:59 pm
@specsta

Your last post was such a thoughtful and compassionate comment, with true heartfelt deep meaning........but wait!! Was this guy stealing a pack of chicken to feed his starving family? Nope. Was he stealing bread to feed his children or grandchildren. Nope. Was he stealing warm clothing because he and his wife are homeless and it's cold outside? Nope. Well, what was he stealing? DVD Players!!!! Well, what on earth could he have been stealing those for? Well, my guess would be to watch a movie or to sell to a pawn shop so he can support his drug or alcohol problem.

Now, you could say he was going to pawn them to get money for food or clothing, except at most pawn shops he wouldn't get very much money for them. He would have been better off stealing the food or clothing and would have gotten more of each than he could afford to buy with pawn money. The lefts compassion is so ridiculously misplaced. It's actually a FAKE compassion just to push a secular agend. No clear right or wrong in the world, it just is what it is.

myfather15
myfather15 11/28/12 - 10:32 pm
Liberals and their word games

Liberals just love to use words to make something seem so innocent. Like using the word mistake to describe PLANNED criminal events. A mistake is adding bleach into your colored clothes during your washing. A mistake might be forgeting about the case of Coke on the bottom of the shopping cart while in the checkout line. A mistake is NOT a planned out event to steal, murder, rob, rape, molest, ect.

But to liberals, everything is just a silly mistake because they DO NOT believe in a clear cut right and wrong. Liberal mindset="How dare those rich evil people chase that poor guy outside and attempt to hold him for the authorities."

One fact most people are overlooking is the fact the offender FOUGHT with the manager when being detained.

"The manager, Michael Burton, grabbed Calloway and slammed him down to the ground, but Calloway fought back, punching Burton in the face, neck and chest, according to the police report. "

So the security guard at that point wasn't just attempting to detain the suspect, he was protecting life as he is suppose to do. This suspect was actually attempting to do physical harm to the manager by striking him in the face and neck, which could cause serious bodily harm. In law enforement we may use deadly force in protection of citizens and ourselves if there is a threat of serious bodily harm or death.

I'm speaking from personal experience. In 15 years of law enforcement I've probably been involved in 100 incidents where I and other deputies had to fight with suspects. Some fights were more severe than others. I've fought men twice my size and strength and have recieved numerous injuries during these altercations. Some of the suspects are very violent criminals and wouldn't think twice to seriously injure or kill a deputy or security guard.

Yes, the choke hold is NOT taught and is NOT suppose to be used because it can cause death. But I've known many deputies including myself to use it because we were losing the fight and it was the only means of grabbing and holding on, as to not be pumbled even more. Deputies and security guards are NOT super heros with amazing powers. We are human beings that differ in size, strenght and ability. I feel confident in saying that if any of you were involved in a fight for your life and you were losing, you would also do whatever you could to survive and go home to your family.

That might mean punching, kicking, grabbing or gouging anything you can get your hands upon. I had a guy one time on my back and was putting a choke hold on me. If I lose consciousness, I'M DEAD because then my weapon is free for them to take out and use on me. So I did the only thing I could at that time, I took by fingers and tried to run them through his eyeball as hard as I could. Guess what? It worked, he screamed and fell backwards. It busted blood vessels in his eye and looked terrible.

But he lived, I got to go home to my wife and children. I also learned he was wanted out of Coweta County for kidnapping, aggravated assault (basically attempted murder), theft of a motor vehicle and numerous other crimes. He also had a loaded 45 caliber pistol in his pants with one in the chamber. He wouldn't tell us his real name and just stated "You'll find out when you run my prints. You've got one of the most wanted men in Georgia." Then on the ride to the jail, while in the back of my car he said to me "You really got me today. I was going to do whatever I had to do to get away because I'm going away for life. I just got out of prison and I wasn't going back." I asked him what he meant by whatever he had to do and he said "I would have killed you and anyone else to get away."

Thats a true story as honest as I can be. It's provable, trust me. I spoke to the Coweta County Investigator the next day and they said this guy and his partner (who was already arrested) kidnapped an entire family on a home invasion. They had them tied up in a living room, discussing where they were going to kill them and where to dispose the bodies. The family was that of a former drug dealing partner of the guy I arrested. The guy had moved back with his parents and was still selling dope from their house. They invaded the home to rob him of his money and dope.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/29/12 - 08:48 am
myfather15

This is what I gripe so much about.

Good LEO's doing their jobs to protect all of us including the bleeding heart liberals, that would be the 1st to come after you with a lawyer or DA to send you to prison.

Since the 70's this country has started to get its ideas of morals and justice screwed around backwards.