Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man dies after confrontation with workers at Atlanta-area Walmart

LITHONIA, Ga. — A man suspected of shoplifting DVD players at a Wal-Mart died Sunday after a confrontation with workers at the Atlanta-area store.

WSB-TV reported that the man died after an altercation with workers outside the store in Lithonia.

The company said two workers were suspended with pay, and a security contractor will no longer work at the store, which is about 15 miles east of downtown Atlanta.

“No amount of merchandise is worth someone’s life,” Wal-Mart spokeswoman Dianna Gee said in a statement.

A police report said a middle-age man was caught shoplifting two DVD players about 1:30 a.m. Sunday. He left, but three workers caught him and had a fight in the parking lot.

Police found the workers on top of the man, who was unresponsive and bleeding from the nose and mouth. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Gee said two store employees involved in the confrontation were suspended with pay during an investigation, and a contractor who worked in security “will no longer be providing services to us.”

Gee said the death was “truly a sad situation.”

“Associates are trained to disengage from situations that would put themselves or others at risk,” she said. “That being said, this is still an active investigation and we’re working with police to provide any assistance.”

Lithonia police did not return a message seeking comment.

Retired Army
Retired Army 11/25/12 - 10:24 pm
Oooh, Oooh let me call

Oooh, Oooh let me call lawyer. She pays finders fees for slam dunks.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/25/12 - 10:54 pm
Heck, they should have given

Heck, they should have given the security guys a raise and the rest of the day off with pay. If I was on the jury I would put 100% of the blame on the shoplifter and find his estate liable for any injuries or financial damages to the security guards.

I've got no sympathy for a lowlife thief, especially one stupid enough to fight with three security guards when caught.

countyman
20129
countyman 11/25/12 - 11:10 pm
Those employees were stupid,

The policy of the store is to call the local police, and don't engaged shoplifters. Those employees were stupid, and could have easily gotten killed. Walmart doesn't pay them enough to chase people into the parking lot.

gargoyle
gargoyle 11/25/12 - 11:20 pm
risk

Don't know if I'd have told that, That statement could put Associates at risk by telling criminals to escalate.

gargoyle
gargoyle 11/25/12 - 11:17 pm
Countyman

Some peoples morals are not for sale , right is right and wrong is wrong pay doesn't matter

KSL
KSL 11/26/12 - 12:21 am
There would be a whole lot

There would be a whole lot less criminal activity going on out there if there were more shooting going on by the good guys.

KSL
KSL 11/26/12 - 12:20 am
Agree

Dichotomy

F4therTime
F4therTime 11/26/12 - 12:40 am
Because it's easy....

for criminals to get away with crap that's why they do it...beat the snot out a few and drop them with a well placed shot and it will stop a lot of it! The shoplifter is the one putting everyone at danger not the ones that beat the crap out of him...man, some people...

KSL
KSL 11/26/12 - 12:48 am
2 DVD players? Would he even

2 DVD players? Would he even have had to serve time based on the new GA law?

KSL
KSL 11/26/12 - 12:51 am
See there is someone here on

See there is someone here on the criminal's side. Have relatives?

KSL
KSL 11/26/12 - 01:00 am
One thing we can assume.

He didn't steal two for himself. Anyone who would stoop to stealing from Walmart is definitely not capable of watching and comprehending 2 DVDS at once.

specsta
specsta 11/26/12 - 02:35 am
Heartless

Anybody who thinks this guy should have been beaten and killed for shoplifting two DVD players (which probably cost about $80 total) is just WRONG.

No one deserves to die for a petty crime. If society thinks that it's okay for someone to be beaten to death over shoplifting, maybe we should execute drunk drivers and Wall Street crooks. They have caused a lot more misery and death than any petty thief ever could.

I really wonder about some of you people that post on this opinion board.

F4therTime
F4therTime 11/26/12 - 03:07 am
Yes I agree...

I wonder whats wrong with people that continue to let criminals prey on others with no consequences. That's the biggest problem!

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/26/12 - 08:11 am
A Duty to Society to Stop Crime

As law abiding members of society, we all have a responsibility to stop crime. At times this duty may require us to put ourselves in danger. It's unfortunate the man died as it is with every stupid criminal who decides to run and is seriously injured. However, the moral duty to stop theft goes beyond what the Walmart spokesman may understand. It's a serious obligation to uphold a safe and law abiding society.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 11/26/12 - 08:14 am
I often believe that I live

I often believe that I live in a rational and civilized society....but, then, I read the AC opinion board.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/26/12 - 08:17 am
No win situation

The employees can't win ......my daughters life was threatened at the Regency Mall years ago......she watched some inside the store with her eagle eye....they said they would come back & "get" her ........I told her to tell theMgr. & let him handle it....
Sad ..because we all know what happened to the Mall....don't we...without security the stores would go out of business.....it is more than just this one incident at stake.

WAG
WAG 11/26/12 - 08:40 am
This is rediculous! I watched

This is rediculous! I watched Kroger managers and some employees chase down shoplifters. They actually love this kinda stuff...makes em feel real men... yea rite!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/26/12 - 08:41 am
10 uppers for RM

So true River....without security we are doomed...

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/26/12 - 08:50 am
"The policy of the store is

"The policy of the store is to call the local police, and don't engaged shoplifters." Call Roundtree

"No one deserves to die for a petty crime." I Agree, they really are good people down deep inside.

"I often believe that I live in a rational and civilized society" and allow those that break the law to live amoung us

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/26/12 - 09:07 am
Theives cost us all

Letting them run clean only encourages more to do the same.
Just wait some high end or Dept. Store will have a swarm happen.
Where 20 or 40 brats swarm into a store and grab everything they can get their hands on and run.

If I was Loss Prevention I'd have Electronic locks on the doors.

Once I have a Name for the Thief I plan to pull a rap sheet and post it. If this was his 1st time we'll know shortly.

cp44
cp44 11/26/12 - 09:06 am
Either way you look at it, a

Either way you look at it, a shoplifter was caught stealing and the store tried to retrieve their merchandise. End of story for me....I just want the family and friends of the shoplifter to know that I am praying for you all and praying for him to be remembered for who is was and not for any wrong choice he made. I pray that God give you all the strength to tune out the news and media and find the closure you desire in a Godly manner despite what ANYONE says~ God Bless

KSL
KSL 11/26/12 - 10:12 am
Well, perhaps they should

Well, perhaps they should have stopped the punishment when he was just a bit uncomfortable. I admit I didn't waste my time reading the article. He still would have soon been out to continue his bad behavior. And the beat goes on.

The solution some offer is legalized drugs. Wondering if by legalized do they mean free, as in free contraception?

Interesting that the progressives seem to believe people are no longer capable of taking responsibility for themselves and their behavior.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/26/12 - 09:12 am
Stop Wondering

"I really wonder about some of you people that post on this opinion board."

There happens to be a few of us that believe if you don't live within the laws of our society then you shouldn't be allow to walk amoung us.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/26/12 - 09:17 am
Some can't believe thugs can take down a mall

The next time you ride down Gordon Hy...take a good look at Regency Mall......that was a thriving & popular place to shop....both of my daughters worked there......BUT
over time the thugs took over---they nudged & pushed the female shoppers while walking through the mall-----it was almost a game to them......some were sexually harrassing.....I know from 1st hand accounts how much stealing happened there....unbelievable theft.....& in time the shoppers left.....the stores closed & we have a big empty eye sore now......we reap what we sow..

wayne2410
wayne2410 11/26/12 - 10:24 am
I remember the glory days of

I remember the glory days of Regency also, it is a good example of why you have to stop criminal activity at all costs. Regency was once a pretty decent place, because of unchecked thuggery it is now dead. It really is a simple concept unless you have liberal leanings, that seems to do some strange stuff to people.

Jane18
Jane18 11/26/12 - 10:49 am
A Thief......................

While I am sorry for the guy dying, I am more sorry for the employees and the security person. They were taking their jobs seriously, and because the thief died, now they are being punished. It always seems to work out this way, the good guy winds up paying for the bad guys' mistake, and paying and $$$$$. Even if the bad guy doesn't have a record, you can pretty much believe he has shoplifted before.............I am in agreement with dichotomy!

Trouble
Trouble 11/26/12 - 10:51 am
walmart

this could be the under statement of the century, it is more like "employees are told that they are not to confront or in any other way deter shop lifters" in other words, all they can do is sit back and watch people pocket merchandise and walk out the door, or risk being fired...

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/26/12 - 10:58 am
I am applying at Wally World

Loss Prevention there, sounds like job where you don't have to do something to draw a check.

Now I understand why SEIU, was picketing them for jobs.

Trouble
Trouble 11/26/12 - 11:01 am
jane

those employees would have been fired even if the man had not been killed or even injured, it is against policy to confront shoplifters, unless you are loss pervention

donna658
donna658 11/26/12 - 11:22 am
Walmart employees are not

Walmart employees are not allowed to chase shoplifters out of the stores. Not to excuse the shoplifter but your life is a steep price to pay. Perhaps he attacked them, there will be video of the confrontation in the parking lot that will show what happened. So sorry the guy died, moral of the story is that you don't steal!