Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta mother charged with child cruelty

Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2012 11:48 AM
Last updated 6:42 PM

A 32-year-old Augusta mother was charged with child cruelty Monday after her son ran from his home in his underwear.

Octavias Robinson  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Octavias Robinson

Police said the 14-year-old was discovered about 8:40 a.m. behind the Deans Bridge Road Walmart in his boxers and a T-shirt.

The teen told police he had left his home in the 3300 block of Blanchard Road after his mother repeatedly hit him with a belt for being sent home from school.

Richmond County sheriff’s Sgt. Jason Vinson said the teen was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where doctors concluded he had excessive bruising.

Octavias Robinson was booked into the Richmond County jail on charges of cruelty to children in the first degree.

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 11/06/12 - 01:27 pm
Went TOO Far

Got whipped with a belt by my father, when I was growing up. But NEVER did I bruise. Sorry girlie, there is NO excuse for that kind of abuse. While I am all for discipline, you took it too far. Cooling your butt in a cell for a few days, along with some parenting classes, might resolve some of this problem. I would like to see what kind of school record, the son might have.

johnette4
johnette4 11/06/12 - 01:37 pm
too far or too harsh

as a mom to a 14 year male freshman, i can EMPHASIZE ( not sympathize) as to why she disciplined him..but there are guidelines to how to "handle" a child without leaving bruises.. today there are a few other options other than physical discipline, and the journalist who write these articles should go back to school so they learn how to write a story without leaving readers to speculate.. but then again thats what the social worker is there for...hope it works out and that mom and child getthe support services they need to heal from this unfortunate act. sadly some readers will judger her but if her son was committing crimes they be blaming her for lack of discipline as well.. sad shame on society idealology and expectations...

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/06/12 - 03:20 pm
I don't know what they called

I don't know what they called a "bruise" but my moma raised many a welt on my legs and backside with a belt. I'm sure I deserved it most of the times and I sure thought twice about doing whatever it was ever again.

So, if she put a deep bruise on him, that's not right. But if she raised a welt on him, keep on truckin'. There is a lot of them running the streets that need to meet Mr. Belt.

Tullie
Tullie 11/06/12 - 04:49 pm
johnette4 said:

Johnette, there is a difference between disciplining and even whipping your child and beating your child. Sadly, some people can't seem to get a handle on that.

A child also needs consistent care and discipline from a very young age. You can't be passive/aggressive with a child, it confuses them. You also can't start disciplining or beating them at the age of 15-17 years of age when they have not had it in their life.

I think most people understand that a teenager can try the patience of a saint..but you still don't beat a child. All my father had to do was look at me, I straightned right up. He never laid a hand on me. I guess I might have been afraid of what would happen if he ever did ;o) Which was probably not a bad thing.

Farmboy
Farmboy 11/06/12 - 04:55 pm
Being a parent is a hard job.

However, it's a job not all people are qualified for.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 11/06/12 - 08:28 pm
Even those qualified

sometimes have a hard time doing it.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/07/12 - 09:37 am
The rest of the story is

The rest of the story is missing. We can't judge this by our own experience. She could have been saving his life for all we know.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/07/12 - 09:26 pm
10-4 Willow

I can't be too harsh on the mother without full facts.