Nearly 1,300 Ga. drivers convicted of texting

Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012 8:48 AM
Last updated 7:03 PM

ATLANTA — State records show that fewer than 50 drivers a month have been convicted of texting and driving in the two years since a law to ban texting went into effect.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that as of mid-September, 1,281 motorists had been convicted of the offense since the state law took effect on July 1, 2010.

The number represents a small fraction of the 22,500 people convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs during the same time frame.

Department of Driver Services spokeswoman Susan Sports said the agency only tracks convictions, not the number of citations issued.

Comments (15)

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/30/12 - 09:03 am

Far to few. Unless you've had

Far to few. Unless you've had the experience of being endangered by a texting driver you may not realize just how serious this has become.

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/30/12 - 09:12 am

Texting while driving...

dumbest law ever.

soapy_725
soapy_725 10/30/12 - 09:14 am

Idiots All.......

Gun control? How about competent driver control? How about placing the word IDIOT on their license plate? Or DUI on their license plate? No Insurance? No brain? Like the Student Driver cars.

Cell phone use has become like the POTUS emergency phone. Everyone has become so important that they cannot be left unconnected 24/7. The world is connected to them.

At least give the responsible drivers a chance to survive. After all, they are paying for all of the accidents.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/30/12 - 09:19 am

Dumb?

Studies prove that someone texting is at least as impaired as someone over the dui limit.

john
john 10/30/12 - 10:01 am

its a start

better to be convicted of texting than being convicted of manslaughter because you were looknig at your stupid phone. You may think you can do both, but you cant. put it down.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/30/12 - 10:11 am

1,281

Heck, they could match those figures in one day between the hours of 7am and 8 am on I-20 between Appling/Harlem exit and SC border.

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/30/12 - 10:17 am

Dumb? Absolutely

We have DUI laws. We don't have individual laws against drinking Heineken and driving, drinking Coors and driving, drinking Bud Light and driving, etc., etc., etc.

We don't need laws singling out each and every type of "distracted" driving.

Enforce the laws we already have - failure to maintain control of your vehicle, failure to maintain lane, etc.

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/30/12 - 10:20 am

By the way...

Do you really feel safer knowing we have this law on the books?

So, you CANNOT text and drive, but you CAN (according to the law) update your Facebook status and drive.

That is dumb. There is no other word for it.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/30/12 - 10:25 am

So I could update this very

So I could update this very message while driving, but can't send a text message. Makes sense. I agree with Insider Information.

augustahistorybuff
augustahistorybuff 10/30/12 - 10:43 am

Strict laws needed

To think that a law such as "texting" is a bad idea is asinine. Why? Take a look at the young lady that was killed on Dyess Parkway after running into the back of another vehicle while, doing what, "texting."

Law enforcement needs to be more vigilant in their efforts enforcing this law as they patrol the roadways. How hard it is to see someone texting at a stop light, and then, pull them over?

As for other laws, a law regarding distraction in itself is not a bad idea. Eating while driving, putting makeup on, etc...

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/30/12 - 10:53 am

"Hopefully, we will see

"Hopefully, we will see legislation or car company policies where cell phone use and texting will be blocked when a vehicle is in motion or the engine is on. That will take care of the problem...don't whine it will be ok. It might save your life!"

So no more texting if you are a passenger in a car or a bus. The problem is that legislators never think things through when they pass laws.

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/30/12 - 11:01 am

If you are looking for the

If you are looking for the government to save you, you are beyond saving.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/30/12 - 11:04 am

augustahistorybuff..... "How

augustahistorybuff..... "How hard it is to see someone texting at a stop light, and then, pull them over?"

Don't get me wrong....distracted driving is dangerous, but who is in danger from texting at a stop light?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/30/12 - 12:18 pm

Not sure what that has to do

Not sure what that has to do with texting, but OK.

And for the record.....I don't know of anyone who ever got drunk against their will.......not saying it hasn't happened....I just don't know of any. Me personally....I know better than to allow myself to get so drunk that I'm not in control. Just try taking advantage of me, and see how that works out for you. :-)

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 10/30/12 - 12:32 pm

Hey Angela!

Great post! It's refreshing to know that there are strong willed women out there and I wish there were more women like you. Would make the world a better place. My point was...... Draconian laws such as texting while driving are meant to be revenue generators only. The governor and the other Capitol clowns in Atlanta care nothing about your safety. It's up to you and I to care about our own safety. And it seems like you and I are on board with that. The law has very little to do with what's right and wrong. Roethlisberger chose to go to milledgeville that night because he knew the police force there was small, weak and unequipped to handle real crimes. Underage college students there who drink a beer will go to jail all day long. Anyway, if you can get your hands on the Roethlisberger police report it will amaze and shock you.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 10/30/12 - 12:48 pm

One more thing, Angela

Heres an article from the Atlanta journal. It's only the tip of the iceberg. Try to get your hands on the actual police report and GBI investigation.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 10/30/12 - 12:55 pm

Hey insider information

Did you know that you could read the print copy of the Augusta chronicle while it is laid out across your steering wheel while you are driving and the police would have no problem with that?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/30/12 - 01:31 pm

I don't think anti-texting

I don't think anti-texting laws are purely to generate revenu...since it's so hard to tell for sure if someone is texting anyway...unless they are holding the phone up where you can see it.

As for a girl who gets drunk and looses her inhibitions and gives it up easy.....I have a hard time feeling sorry for her. I also have a hard time calling it rape. People who are drunk are held responsible for all of their other actions, such as driving a car and killing someone, battery, etc...why not their sexual conduct....why all of a sudden is it now not their responsibility?

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 10/30/12 - 01:39 pm

Angela, Angela, Angela

A couple of teens tragically lose their lives in Georgia while texting and driving. One (or more) legislators see an opportunity. Introduce a bill to make it illegal and his constituents the voters think..... Oh wow what a great guy!! Have u ever seen the movie Blazing Saddles? All the town leaders are sitting around a table during a crisis and one of them says: "gentlemen, gentlemen, we have to do SOMETHING to protect our phoney baloney jobs!". Texting law fits in there. One other thing: a young college girl with little experience with alcohol loses her inhibitions and a 6-5 240# guy with lots of fame, money and police connections forces himself on her? And your compassion lies with HIM??? Just wow, Angela

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/30/12 - 01:43 pm

No....my compassion is not

No....my compassion is not with him....but it's not with her either. You are assuming too much.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/30/12 - 01:46 pm

Just curious......how do you

Just curious......how do you know he forced himself on anyone? Do you have information that should be turned over to the police?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/30/12 - 01:47 pm

"A couple of teens tragically

"A couple of teens tragically lose their lives in Georgia while texting and driving. One (or more) legislators see an opportunity. " Are you saying it's NOT a horribly dangerous activity?

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/30/12 - 01:49 pm

50 a month at good start.

All it takes is one distracted idiot to kill a family.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/30/12 - 02:45 pm

Surprise, but I agree with RA

Surprise, but I agree with RA " Unless you've had the experience of being endangered by a texting driver you may not realize just how serious this has become."

Revenue increaser or over zealous law, either way if it keeps my family a little safer by deterring someone from texting for fear of getting caught, fine by me.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 10/30/12 - 02:52 pm

Wow

Do I have information that should be turned over to the police? And you made that statement after doing your due dilligence by reading the reports and sworn statements. I was going to accuse you of being a groupie of Austin Rhodes or Big Brave Ben (because who else would say such a thing?) then I got to thinking that could be offensive (I know I would be if somebody accused me of even liking those two guys). So I am NOT accusing you of that so no need to report me.

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/30/12 - 03:20 pm

Dumb law v. Good law

Dumb Law: It is unlawful to kill someone with a knife.
Good Law: It is unlawful to kill someone.

Dumb Law: It is unlawful to drink beer and drive.
Good Law: It us unlawful to drink and drive.

Dumb Law: It is unlawful to text and drive.
Good Law: It is unlawful to do anything that impairs your driving and drive.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/30/12 - 04:18 pm

II

I think that was a very good loop hole law comparison.

NavyVeteran
NavyVeteran 10/30/12 - 09:57 pm

texting while driving/cell phone while driving

People, keep in mind you are driving a vehicle that weighs a lot more than you do and often causes a lot of damage. It is YOUR resposibility to keep it under control. Simple common sense (something woefully lacking in today's world) tell you not to text/call while driving.

You aint driving a phone booth or computer desk

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 10/31/12 - 07:39 am

Why yes, I DID read the link

Why yes, I DID read the link you posted....and just because someone accuses someone of rape, even if they do it under oath, does NOT mean they were raped.

JRC2024
JRC2024 10/31/12 - 08:40 am

Why yes, I DID read the

Why yes, I DID read the link

I can agree on this statement from Angela. Many men have been accused the next day and rape never happened.

Judge denies request to delay sales tax vote

A superior court judge denied a request Wednesday from a Richmond County citizen seeking a court order to postpone the May 20 special purpose local option sales tax referendum.