Wreck stalls Evans to Locks traffic, disrupts power

Barry Paschal/ Columbia County News Times
Scene of power line work on Evans to Locks Road
Thursday, Oct. 18, 2012 8:13 AM
Last updated 8:51 AM

A portion of Evans to Locks Road is closed after a vehicle struck a power pole this morning.

The area between Furys Ferry Road and Jones Creek is closed while crews clear the crash that was reported with minor injuries.

Power is out in the area after the accident near the entrance of Jones Creek subdivision in Martinez.

Evans to Locks is blocked to traffic for Georgia Power crews to work to replace the pole.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/18/12 - 09:09 am
Oh no

I have kin near this area.....more details please..

justputtin
justputtin 10/18/12 - 10:03 am
Come on guys

Elaborate. Either wait until you can say something or not at all.

OutnAbout
OutnAbout 10/18/12 - 10:57 am
HEADLINE: Something happened

HEADLINE: Something happened nearby. Be on the Lookout for the person(s).
Guess we should be happy we know it was a car accident (1 or more?), injuries ( 1 or more persons?) that cause Jones Creek to lose electricity.
Maybe they should have just gone with: Power disrupted for Jones Creek.

OutnAbout
OutnAbout 10/18/12 - 11:00 am
Maybe some details: Columbia

Maybe some details:
Columbia County authorities tell us a dump truck was on Evans to Locks when the bed of the truck began to lift. It hit overhead power lines and snapped a utility pole around 6:30 a.m.
Dispatch says surrounding areas are experiencing power outages.

When the accident happened, more than 1,500 Georgia Power customers were without power. As of 10:45 a.m., 16 customers do not have power. Those 16 customers will not have power until at least 3 p.m.

Eastbound lanes on Evans to Locks has no through traffic.

Expect delays in that area.

No one was injured in the accident and no charges will be filed against the driver of the truck.

Beachgal
Beachgal 10/18/12 - 01:10 pm
Another perspective

I was traveling on Fury's Ferry Road towards Riverwatch Pkwy this morning and saw what appeared to be a flatbed trailer hauling a dump truck pull onto FF Road in front of me from the Reeves Construction. It was dark, but I could see that the bucket of the dump truck was already lifted. The truck turned right onto Evans to Lock Road while I stopped at the light. I watched the truck closely because I have never seen a dump truck being hauled with the bucket in the lifted position. Less than 30 seconds later, I heard a loud boom and the lights went off at the intersection of Evans to Lock and Fury's Ferry. I didn't put the two events together until I saw OutNAbout's comments above. My point is that the bucket was already in the lifted position when the flatbed pulled onto Fury's Ferry. It didn't begin to lift suddenly.