News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Former SC trooper arrested

COLUMBIA — A former South Carolina Highway Patrol trooper has been charged with assault and battery.

Richland County sheriff’s deputies arrested 48-year-old Gregory Miller earlier this week and accused him for an incident that occurred last month.

Deputies were called to a home Sept. 17 by a woman who says she had been choked by the trooper after she had ended a 12-year relationship with him. .

Miller was fired Oct.5.

The woman says she and Miller argued in her front yard and they went inside where she says he shook her and began to choke her. She called deputies after he left the home.

The Department of Public Safety says Miller had been with the Highway Patrol since 2007.

It was not clear if he has an attorney.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/17/12 - 09:07 am
Paragraphs

Don't our journalism schools teach students proper construction of paragraphs any more?

SouthAugustan
SouthAugustan 10/17/12 - 09:21 am
Little Lamb

Talk about proper construction, your comment should read "Doesn't our journalism..." not "Don't"

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/17/12 - 10:02 am
When I was in school. . . .

The subject of my sentence is "schools."

David Parker
David Parker 10/17/12 - 10:29 am
Your punctuation mark should

Your punctuation mark should be on the outside of the quotation. HAHA. I just like messing with you Double L

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/17/12 - 10:38 am
Actually I think you are both

Actually I think you are both wrong. It's a bad sentence for a contraction but if you must use one, since schools is plural, "don't" would be correct. My vote is for:

"Do our journalism schools not teach students proper.....?"

JMHO

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/17/12 - 12:12 pm
Don't is correct. Punctuation

Don't is correct. Punctuation marks go inside the quotation mark.

KSL
KSL 10/18/12 - 03:54 am
LL is correct, as is

LL is correct, as is Riverman. Dichotomy is too, but I tend to view posting comments as less formal than writing an article. "Don't" is quite all right with me.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 10/18/12 - 03:59 am
do don't doesn't did didn't

Who cares? He was a former trooper. This should be no reflection on current Troopers.

KSL
KSL 10/18/12 - 04:03 am
SouthAugustan

Your so called correction makes my flesh crawl. Didn't you have teachers who had you remove modifiers and get to the subject and verb if you had doubts?

KSL
KSL 10/18/12 - 04:19 am
I care

If I am going to pay to read it. And I care about the dumbing down of America.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 10/18/12 - 04:17 am
I care that it happened but

I care that it happened but don't think him being a former Trooper should be brought up. People want to talk trash about law enforcement but scream for their help when they need it.

KSL
KSL 10/18/12 - 04:26 am
Some people are just

Some people are just naturally held to a higher standard by society. That is why his former line of work was mentioned. If he had been the preacher at a church, a doctor, lawyer, or politician, it would have been mentioned.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 10/18/12 - 04:32 am
I completely understand. It's

I completely understand. It's just that I see a lot of "formers" where I work and try to separate them from society. Some people slip through the cracks. Some are in very high places too LOL

CABoatright
CABoatright 10/18/12 - 07:23 am
Let me weigh in....

Speaking of the dumbing down of America. Many times, we ignore misspelled words, poor grammar, misspoken words, etc. even by the media! How sad that we've been reduced to the use of ebonics & forced to accept it as the norm.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/18/12 - 08:20 am
Did yall not learned anything?

Did not ye be learned in skool how to structures a sentance?
I knowed from the start that it had be wrong. Take it from me, I knows how to make a sentance.

Property tax increase OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.