Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Gunman takes woman's purse

Thursday, Oct. 11, 2012 11:31 AM
Last updated 8:07 PM

Richmond County investigators are searching for the man who robbed a woman at Walmart this morning.

According to an incident report, deputies were dispatched to the parking lot of the Deans Bridge Road Walmart around 2:30 a.m. where a 28-year-old Hephzibah woman said a man demanded her purse at gunpoint.

He was last seen fleeing in a small silver vehicle.

The robber has been described as a black male around 5-foot-6 and 160 pounds with shoulder length dreadlock hair. He was wearing a gray sweater and dark shorts.

Investigators are reviewing surveillance videos.

Comments (9)

showboat
showboat 10/11/12 - 11:54 am

What is she doingout at

What is she doingout at wal-mart that time of morning by her self. You are looking for trouble, when you are along that time of morning!!!!

dichotomy
dichotomy 10/11/12 - 12:51 pm

Find this cowardly scum and

Find this cowardly scum and put him down. The Walmart parking lot on Dean's Bridge has apparently become the latest slop trough for scumbag thieves. Hello RC sheriff's department.......stakeout time.

happychimer
happychimer 10/11/12 - 12:51 pm

This is exactly why I do not

This is exactly why I do not carry Rambo in my pocketbook anymore.I would have a fit if my pet ball-python was snatched.

Jane18
Jane18 10/11/12 - 12:58 pm

Armed Robbery

I hope the lady is doing okay. Having been robbed at gunpoint and made to lie down, I know how traumatizing a weapon used can affect you. Don't worry, today I am very, very, cautious and armed!!

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/11/12 - 01:43 pm

An area increasingly prone to serious problems

Despite a deep wish to support South Side businesses, we quit using the store location over a year ago.

We have been traveling the extra 4 miles to North Augusta. Since there are fewer Special Local type taxes across the river, they have better prices and the GAS is 10 to 20 cent cheaper a gallon.

rebellious
rebellious 10/12/12 - 01:52 am

OC

My family now travels to Wayneboro for their Walmart. But all are armed to the hily, either with blistering Pepper Spray or lead dispensing objects.

But 5 foot 6 inch at 160. Guess he needed a weapon, or she could have delivered a beat down.

corgimom
19339
corgimom 10/12/12 - 06:11 am

Women carry guns in their

Women carry guns in their purses. The man demanded her purse. If she had a gun, what would she say- "Hold on a minute, let me get my gun out first"?

CABoatright
CABoatright 10/12/12 - 07:15 am

That WalMart

Doesn't that WalMart have a sheriff's substation inside?

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/12/12 - 07:39 am

When will we get enough of this crap??

Yesterday I read this article & many others in my local news...
2 women were robbed in Grant Park area....pulled into their driveway & robber grabs purse in broad daylight------woman was caught on video trying to get under garage door in Buckhead area ....many homes had been broken in ........some have cameras--alarm systems & etc.....
Banks--driveways-homes--cars---walking in a park--where can you feel safe anymore..

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 10/12/12 - 08:17 am

Obviously you've never been

Obviously you've never been robbed at gun point, Augusta citizen.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/12/12 - 09:47 am

Women conceal carry purses

There are many women's conceal carry purses that have a center tunnel like open area to hold a small S&W Shield MP 9mm or Lama 380.

It is a rapidly growing market, since more women, at last count, were purchasing 380 / 9mm small pistols and applying for a conceal carry permits than men.

So next time you see a women confidently walking through the dark parking lot with her hand inside her purse like a hand muff, think about it.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 10/12/12 - 10:16 am

In the past year

... I have had four women of my acquaintance ask me about how to go about getting a carry permit for a firearm. Only one asked about training. I find that disturbing.

In her case, we went to the range where she proved a surprisingly quick study. Then we spent an hour at least talking about the legal ramifications of carrying and in last resort, using a gun. She thought about it for several months before applying, and only a month ago bought a nice carry piece. That is the sort of armed person I would prefer to be around.

Willow Bailey
20252
Willow Bailey 10/12/12 - 10:45 am

A little wisdom goes along

A little wisdom goes along way in crime prevention. Walmart at 2:30 a.m.? What do you think is going to happen to you?

To have a chance with a gun inside your handbag, your hand has to be on it. Use a shoulder strap purse or wear a jacket over a shoulder holster. Of course, make sure you have a CWP and a legal reason for using it.

omnomnom
omnomnom 10/12/12 - 11:28 am

"Walmart at 2:30 a.m.? What

"Walmart at 2:30 a.m.? What do you think is going to happen to you?"

I think I'm going to wait in line for a long time.

I wouldn't expect to be robbed.

Tullie
Tullie 10/12/12 - 12:49 pm

Corgimom said:

Not all women do - I don't. I have mine on me. Like I have said before, I carry my purse and wear my revolver.

Meth use on rise in Richmond County

Production of meth, a highly addictive drug made from household cold medicine, batteries, drain cleaner, brake fluid and other harmful chemicals, increased in recent years when the shake-and-bake ...