3 children found alone outside Augusta apartment

Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2012 10:21 PM
Last updated 10:40 PM

Three children were turned over to the Division of Family and Children Services after police found them alone outside an apartment without water or power, according to a Richmond County sheriff’s incident report.

About 4:30 p.m., deputies were called to the 500 block of Richmond Hill Road West after a report of children sleeping on the steps of an apartment building.

The report said a deputy arrived and found three children, ages 9, 8 and 6, locked outside an apartment. When maintenance was reached and let the deputy inside, he found the apartment did not have water or power.

The deputy called the mother, who said the man who usually picks up the kids after school was in jail and she was an hour away and had not made other arrangements.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 10/10/12 - 03:51 am
Wow. What a sorry mom. I

Wow. What a sorry mom. I mean, how can anyone justify being an hour away and KNOWING that your 3 small children aren't being cared for? I don't care if she's at work, with a dying relative, having an operation herself....this woman KNEW her children would have to fend for themselves until she got home. And who knew when she was coming home?? Thank goodness someone called the police. I feel so sorry for those little children.

Ruckus
Ruckus 10/10/12 - 04:00 am

Follow Up ......I hope The Augusta Chronicle will push for a follow up on the arrest of the mother and her picture (MUG SHOT)

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/10/12 - 04:59 am
Back off folks...

We always blame the mother..wrong thing to do...

When a job threatens to fire you if you are out agan......a father goes to jail or whatever....she is left with 0 options....bills aren't paid..no water..no heat etc...
Get some of the sorry dads in this picture.....geez....now she will be in jail no doubt ......the kids suffer again & again..

buzzman1946
buzzman1946 10/10/12 - 05:23 am
It looks like this mother

It looks like this mother needs some help,not jail, not enough money to pay utilities,been there, she needs a little help.

CABoatright
CABoatright 10/10/12 - 06:07 am
What a waste of air!

No excuses for this "mother."

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/10/12 - 06:15 am
How can this happen?

It is typical and wrong on so many levels.

Not a father? Not a Baby-mama daddy? Not a Boyfriend?
No the article only says a MAN.

There are plenty of free hand out solutions that could have been used to address the child sitting needs. Let us say everything hit her at once. The Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2012 Last updated 10:40 PM article did not say she was at work, it said she was 1 hour away from the apt.

So she has some man, that is now in jail, caring for her kids, while she is an hour down the road. I don't know about others reading this but I would have a pocket full of speeding tickets trying to get home.

Now jump ahead 7 years and picture what these kids will grow up to be like.

To bad parenting classes are not mandatory.

stillamazed
stillamazed 10/10/12 - 06:15 am
????

Maybe there is something missing here but was the mom at work? I did not read in the article that she was at work. Said she was an hour away and had made no arrangements. When you are a mother, you don't wait for someone else to be there for your children, you make sure your children are cared for. You make sure that arrangements are made. Sure, there is probably a sorry dad in the picture, but as a mother I can't imagine not making arrangements for my 3 children. If she is working trying to raise these children then good for her but obviously she needs some help! No arrangements for childcare, no water, no electric. Does she have family?

KSL
KSL 10/10/12 - 07:29 am
The father(s) of those

The father(s) of those children should be forced to pay child support.

single parent
single parent 10/10/12 - 07:43 am
A lot of wrong

On so many levels this is wrong, including the jump to conclusions comments. Any one ever thought the young lady could have been taking a break from her kids because it is a hard job? Any one thought the gentleman in question could have really been her only option and she actually did not know things were not right? A one thought she could have been hiding from that so called sorry Dad because authorities feel a piece of paper ( while being stalked and attacked she throws the piece of paper/restraining order at him) is going to keep her from geting her face bashed in? So many things could have been right about this, but just went about the wrong way.
I see the comments of the sorry Dads, well I am hear to tell you that works both ways as you can obviously see in the outside looking in story if indeed she is guilty. The nail was hit right on the head concerning so many programs ( 8k in taxes after paying all year from me is helping someone) to assist in helping with child care, but that only goes so far at certain times.
The comment PARENTING CLASSES? How do you "TEACH" someone to be a parent? I can guarantee you every situation is different in the "PARENTING" realm, but ,mostly common practice as in lead and not follow! The biggest mistake in parenting is allowing a "CHILD" to think that their life is private from the "PARENT". It is your business to be in "THEIR" business, especially in today's Jack see Jill do society.
If anything lets blame the incomplete story which has raised the level of comments then afterwards we either cuddle her or drag her through the ringer.

single parent
single parent 10/10/12 - 07:53 am
@KSL

What does that have to do with human decisions? So what if the father(s) had the children and the mother(s) was supposed to pay the support? Is that going to have me make a rational decision? I paid and asked for proof of spending, ticked off the Mom but I knew where my money was going. At the time my 3 year old daughter could not drive a BMW nor did she have a boyfriend that did not have one. See the point?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/10/12 - 07:57 am
The only good thing about this

is that this particular mother didn't lock herself in a gas station bathroom and kill them herself. She merely left them totally defenseless and vulnerable.

If she'd had the sense God gave a cat, she would have had these children's fathers in jail for not paying child support. She still should do that--if and when she ever gets them back.

Or perhaps the better way is simply to leave them in foster care until the finish their education, and have DFCS meet the mom at the hospital door every time she tries to take another new baby home. She could continue to pass on those sturdy genes and the children could be loved and raised up into mature human beings and productive citizens.

resident
resident 10/10/12 - 08:03 am
Called the mother????

Called the mother??? This one makes me scratch my head for sure. No mention of how they called her but was it a CELL PHONE....PERHAPS one of those free ones or maybe a priority issue. No water or Electric well there is no excuse for this. There are plenty of programs out there for this very reason. They are to assist but not be a lifeline or source of freeloading as is the case alot of the time. They deny alot of senior citizens this benefit because of woment that keep having children. 3 Children seems like an issue to me and I hate for them to be placed in foster care but at least it would be care. I know many use the excuse this will make them bad children and a bad student in school..etc... well guess what this is not an automatic, you can be an even better person by simply saying this is not what I want and excel. Good grades are not a product of the financial status completely, it does impact when it comes to some things like expensive graphing calculators and things of that nature but not learning. That is completely up to the individual with some help of adults and teachers to be successful...

Sorry I rambled but wanted to counter the comment of the child being bad because of it.

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 10/10/12 - 08:23 am
Freddie Sanders

Lock' em up?

"If she'd had the sense God gave a cat, she would have had these children's fathers in jail for not paying child support."

What good would that do for the situation?

Retired Army
Retired Army 10/10/12 - 07:03 pm
Hypocrisy abounds on this

Hypocrisy abounds on this thread today. Many of the posters who say "there are places where she can get help" are the same posters who in other threads rail mightily against the "entitlment" folks.

Seems to me that they are saying this mother wasn't using entitlements so that makes her a sorry human being?

I have to agree though that this is a story that has no business being published without all the facts. Sorry reporting AC!

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 10/10/12 - 09:18 am
Cut it how you want it to feel better

FACT:
Three kids 6, 8, and 9 years old were all locked out of an apt. with no power or water, and laying on a sidewalk.

This mean 45 days of not paying the light bill and longer for the water bill.

45 days. Let that sink in ...

Sure I and others complain about free loaders, sure I and others don't want to see people sitting around drawing a Give-Me Check for doing nothing in return. But in this case that was not brought up. So trying to redirect the blame or focus to others is not the answer.

FACT
There are safety nets in place to care for these situations.
WHY wasn't those safety nets used during the previous 45+ days?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/10/12 - 09:41 am
What we do know from the

What we do know from the article paints a bad picture. What we don't know could soften that picture, but not by much.

I think the first step in aiding these single moms is to use some stronger incentives to identify the sperm donor and go after them to help. That accomplishes a couple of things:

1. The children get a better standard of living; and hopefully, more father influence in their lives.
2. When these irresponsible propagators know there will be mandated and inescapable financial consequences for fathering a child, they will be more careful about controlling their testosterone.
3. The obvious reduction in crime and social costs when these kids grow up in better circumstances, and a lot of future criminals are never conceived to begin with.

A good start would be to require the expectant mother to finger the father in order to get a dime of assistance before or after the birth of the child. Prove it with DNA testing and then hold him accountable.

usklxm72
usklxm72 10/10/12 - 09:46 am
Is it really a crime. They

Is it really a crime. They are at the age of Latchkey children. The oldest should have had a key to enter the home, maybe he/she lost the key. We all have to work. I do not see the crime. Very thankful the days are winding down, so that our president can start his second term in office.

KSL
KSL 10/10/12 - 09:56 am
Frankly, I don't, single

Frankly, I don't, single parent. Your last sentence made no sense to me. It is obvious that if there was no electricity or water in the apartment, she does not have enough money, or worse, she is squandering it

allhans
allhans 10/10/12 - 10:03 am
So, where was the mother?

So, where was the mother? Why was she an hour away?
Why did a child not have access to a key? A nine year old can unlock a door. Who picked then up from school if the man didn't?
I just don't get it.

Jane18
Jane18 10/10/12 - 10:12 am
KSL @8:29am

The one thing I have learned over the past years, is that so many of these mothers do not follow through of these deadbeat baby daddies not paying or not paying the full amounts. What really made me angry was if you tell these baby mommas to go after the daddies, they want to make excuses for the no-goods! Just like seenit said, the children always pay...................

happychimer
19521
happychimer 10/10/12 - 10:56 am
Even if the mothers go after

Even if the mothers go after the father, it can take years for her to even get child support. Then the father has to be several months late on payments before his drivers license is suspended and then it is back to court. GA does not go after the fathers. The mother can beg for help with nailing the father, but fathers can get out of paying.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/10/12 - 11:06 am
Let's face it folks; since

Let's face it folks; since Johnson's "Great Society" initiative, the problem of illegitimate birth rates and the resultant related societal ills have grown exponentially. Are those two connected (cause and effect)? I'm absolutely convinced they are because government subsidies to people enable and promote irresponsible behavior.
I don't pretend to have a concrete solution, but we need to put the skids under it NOW. Every day this goes on is another day thousands of children are born that are destined for poverty, and will grow up to vote for politicians that prop up that poverty with subsidy rather than accountability.

The good news is that birth rates for teens are dropping:

"Teens accounted for 21 percent of births out of wedlock in 2009, continuing a steady decline over the past several decades. By contrast, in 1975, 52 percent of these births were to teens. The largest increase in births to unmarried women has been in women age 30 and older."

The bad news:
"In 2010, 9.9 million single moms were living with kids under 18 in the United States, up from 3.4 million in 1970."

Source:http://www.babycenter.com/0_surprising-facts-about-birth-in-the-united-states_1372273.bc?page=2

millymilly
millymilly 10/10/12 - 03:13 pm
No Excuse. If I can do it, so can she!

I am a single parent of 3 wonderful children. If I can do it by myself, so can she. I have been working since I was 16. There is no excuse for this woman being an hour away with no electricity for her children and no regards as to their safety. My children have cell phones so that I can reach them at all times. While I know everyone's situation is different, and I can't speak for her, I can say that I know I would be very scared if I couldn't reach my kids. There are times when I have taken my eye off of them and they wandered onto a different aisle at the grocery store. Talk about your heart dropping!!

As far as child support goes. Richmond County does not care to pick up Child support offenders. Mine is in the hole by 18,000.00 and is still living in Augusta. He even drives around Augusta in his vehicle (much nicer than mine I might add). I have pressured several Sgt's and Captains, but unfortuntately, to no avail. But even with that, I still manage to keep the lights on and my kids fed (without using gov. assistance).

corgimom
corgimom 10/10/12 - 07:16 pm
Millymilly, if you can afford

Millymilly, if you can afford cell phones for 3 children, you are not poor, and please don't suggest that you are.
Maybe none of you have known desperate hard times. This is happening more and more across America. There is no evidence that the mother is "squandering" anything, and not everybody makes enough to adequately support a family of 4. As for her being an hour away, nobody knows why she was an hour away. Maybe she worked, maybe she was at the doctor's.
As for leaving her children alone, back in my day, nobody would think anything of a mother leaving her three children, age 9, 8, and 6, during the daytime after school. There were neighbors all around that the kids could go to for help, and a 9 year old is old enough to understand what to do. It was 4 pm on a sunny day, not 12 midnight.
When I was 6, my father took my mother to the dr, they got held up at the hospital, and she wasn't home when I got home from kindergarten. I played outside, by myself, for about 2 hours until they got home. I survived. I guess she should've been arrested, according to some on here.
And my brother, who was 3 years older than I was, watched me when we were out roaming the neighborhood, along with all the other kids that roamed it. All the big sisters and big brothers looked out for all the little kids, and we all knew to listen and mind them. It worked out fine.
Times sure have changed, haven't they?

KSL
KSL 10/10/12 - 07:34 pm
Itsanother, I had an elderly

Itsanother, I had an elderly client complain about her grandchild who was going to leave home, quit school, and her own family to get away from the rules her patents were imposing on her. Thanks to the Great Society rules, she could. This was in 1984. That was more than a generation ago.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

We need to stop paying for what we get. The numbers of illigitimate births would drop drastically of what what we are getting.

A lot of my clients had found a way to send their own kids to college. A number had left the south to find better opportunities after graduation. The parents were proud and very glad when the children returned south from their jobs out of the area.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/10/12 - 07:28 pm
"Times sure have changed,

"Times sure have changed, haven't they?"

Yes, they sure have corgimom and there once was a time when children could play in the street and all the parents watched out for each other's kids. It is not that time any longer, sad to say, and I don't know this mother's circumstances but IMO this world is too corrupt to leave a 9, 8, and 6 year old to fend for themselves.

My question is (and I probably already know the answer) why didn't the concern neighbor who called the police take these children into their home, give them a snack and a glass of milk, and contact the mother themselves? Evidently the children knew the phone number to contact their mother.

KSL
KSL 10/10/12 - 07:44 pm
Happy

You are probably right about the years it takes. That is a huge part of the problem. It should not take years. It should not take months.

Check out the death's row people in Georgia, posted by the AC last week. What's with being there on death's row for 20 YEARS?

KSL
KSL 10/10/12 - 08:01 pm
Corgi

There is huge evidence that the mother chose the wrong father(s) to have those children with.

I have no sympathy. My husband and I started our household right out of college.

1 (We figured at least one of us could find a job)

2 (My getting pregnant was a result of knowing he had found a job)

I was smart enough to choose the right mate.

It isn't difficult. I come from generations who had those very strong family feelings, and so does he. You just choose wisely.

KSL
KSL 10/10/12 - 08:04 pm
Not quickley helps

I married my husband 6 years after I first met him. I was 21. And a half.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/10/12 - 08:09 pm
KSL, I too have a family

KSL, I too have a family member who left home as a teen via public assistance. She wound up pregnant by a man 15 years her senior... They did marry and are still together, thank God.