Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman killed in wreck on Central Avenue

A 60-year-old Augusta woman was killed Monday afternoon in a two-vehicle wreck on Central Avenue.

60-year-old Nellie Walker, of Augusta, was pronounced dead at the scene of the wreck about 4:45 p.m.  MEG MIRSHAK/STAFF
MEG MIRSHAK/STAFF

Richmond County Deputy Coroner Kenneth Boose said Nellie Walker, of Augusta, was pronounced dead at the scene about 4:45 p.m.

According to police, Denesha Jones, 22, of Augusta, was driving a 1996 black Chevrolet Tahoe north on Merry Street about 4 p.m. when she pulled into the path of another vehicle.

A 1990 silver Chevrolet Blazer driven by Sherelle Humphrey, 22, was traveling east on Central Avenue when Jones pulled in front of her. The Blazer flipped and ejected Humphrey, who is five months’ pregnant; her husband, Deshawn Humphrey; and Walker, who was in the back seat. Walker was Deshawn Humphrey’s mother, according Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Randy Prickett.

Both Humphreys were taken to the Medical College of Georgia Hospital. Prickett said they suffered minor injuries, and tests revealed the baby was not harmed.

Jones told deputies she stopped at a stop sign at Merry Street and Central Avenue, then pulled out into the Blazer’s path, Prickett said. There were no witnesses.

In Jones’ car were two infants in child seats and Jones’ 19-year-old sister. They were not injured.

Jones was booked into the Richmond County jail on charges of vehicular homicide, failure to yield at a stop sign and driving without insurance, Prickett said.

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/08/12 - 06:36 pm
Terrible

Seat belts?

carcraft
carcraft 10/08/12 - 06:45 pm
thoughts and prayers with the

thoughts and prayers with the survivors

specsta
specsta 10/08/12 - 07:33 pm
Bad, Bad Augusta Drivers

I have driven in many cities across the US, including LA and NYC. Augusta is the absolute worst. There is a complete lack of understanding of basic physics - that in object in motion tends to remain in motion. Red-light running, tailgating, an inability to merge into a lane, speeding on rain-slick roads, running stop signs, speeding through parking lots, aggressive driving, and other stupid driving behavior is the norm here. Even the cops do it.

I am surprised that more people aren't killed here via auto accident. It seems as if folks in Augusta get their driver's license out of a cereal box.

Just the other day I was walking through a parking lot, in a pedestrian crosswalk in front of a store, with 5-mph posted signs, and I looked both ways and no cars, and then suddenly a middle-aged woman in an SUV comes barreling through, whizzes past me, and shakes her head at me like I am in the wrong. Typical Augustan. And typical arrogant SUV owner.

Skooter
Skooter 10/08/12 - 07:58 pm
Agree with specsta's

Agree with specsta's comments. I've lived in both DC and NY and the driving here amazes me as compared to either of those cities. I've almost T-boned 3 people since I've lived here and none of the 3 incidents would have been my fault. I have seen people speeding so fast through the GHSU campus (Laney Walker) that my first thought was that they must have just robbed a bank or committed some kind of crime. Azziz tries to close that section of Laney Walker to vehicular traffic and make a pedestrian campus but the community goes postal. Jeez!
My condolences to Nellie Walker's family.

just an opinion
just an opinion 10/08/12 - 07:58 pm
Horrific accident

Looked like something that would have happened on Bobby Jones not Central Ave at the Family Dollar. Have police been able to determine speed?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/08/12 - 08:27 pm
Bizarre line

Glad to see you changed that line. I'll withdraw my comment with the quote. We all make mistakes.

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 10/08/12 - 08:17 pm
Driving behaviors are bad because there are no consequences

RCSO and CCSO need to tighten up! Running STOP signs, speeding, no use of turn signals; it happens all day long.

allhans
allhans 10/08/12 - 09:35 pm
When you own the streets you

I was traveling down Central Ave at that time and decided at the last minute to turn left toward Walton Way at the traffic light -
Thank goodness I made that decision. Although that is an unlikely place to have such an horrendous accident.

So sorry for all those involved. You have my prayers.

harley_52
harley_52 10/08/12 - 09:41 pm
I've Lived...

....all over the USA and in Europe.

Drivers in Augusta are no worse, nor necessarily better, than drivers anywhere else.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/08/12 - 09:44 pm
Intersection

I have been at the intersection of Central and Merry many times. There is no excuse for this crash. Visibility is good and signage is good. Someone was daydreaming.

harley_52
harley_52 10/08/12 - 09:44 pm
"Typical Augustan. And typical arrogant SUV owner."

I'd be happy to characterize what your comment typifies, but I'd more than likely be banned by the sensors.

Use your imagination.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 10/08/12 - 09:52 pm
Augusta drivers...

The most endearing characteristic of Augusta drivers by far, is their complete inability to make use of indicators when turning left or right, changing lanes or exiting expressways. It's always fun to have to slam on the brakes when the vehicle in front of you suddenly slows down to 5 mph then crawls around a right turn at snail's pace with absolutely no indication given and blissfully unaware of the multi car pile up which they've almost caused..

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 10/08/12 - 10:14 pm
Hard to Grasp

Trying to read the story over and over it was hard for me to understand how the elderly Ms. Walker who was in the back seat of the Blazer died but no one else did. I am glad that everyone else was ok and my thoughts and prayers are with the family but I just have a hard time picturing how this scene played out to kill the elderly lady.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 10/08/12 - 11:59 pm
Hear! hear! for Harley. I've

Hear! hear! for Harley. I've driven in the majority of the largest metropolitan areas in America, and Augusta is no better or worse than any of them. I just got back from a 8 day trip in southern California, and I cursed just as many, if not more, drivers there as I do here.
"Driver challenges" abound everywhere. ( is that PC enough?)

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/09/12 - 05:10 am
It's everywhere

not just in Augusta. I no longer go forward when my light turns green as I have learned you have to wait about 20 seconds for the idiots on the cross street to finish running their red lights. Happens several times every day.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/09/12 - 05:35 am
Did All Three Get Ejected- Right?

"The Blazer flipped and ejected Humphrey, who is five months’ pregnant; her husband, Deshawn Humphrey; and Walker, who was in the back seat."

Please someone tell me that my reading skills has gone to pot?

Tullie
Tullie 10/09/12 - 06:15 am
Scoopdedoop64 said:

She was ejected from the car with her daughter and son-in-law. Obviously her injuries were fatal, they were lucky.

Looks like none of them were wearing their seatbelts.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/09/12 - 06:18 am
Heh

Try driving in Atlanta area for awhile.....you will miss Augusta traffic...I stay on the back roads as much as possible.

Very sorry for this family..

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 10/09/12 - 06:29 am
Certain names bring out all

Certain names bring out all kinds of comments.

Prayers to the families and everyone else involved. Someone has lost thier mother.....where is the compassion?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/09/12 - 07:02 am
SO HWIII

everybody who makes a comment and makes no condolences just doesn't have any compassion...

You 13 above inhuman persons are just sick people.....Right!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 10/09/12 - 07:24 am
God bless

Mrs. Walker's soul and the Humphrey's family.

saywhatagain
saywhatagain 10/09/12 - 07:38 am
Agree with you CobaltGeorge

Notice it took TWO reporters to produce the story and it was still confusing! Maybe one does spelling and the other does grammar, but perhaps they need a third to cover readability.

BamaMan
BamaMan 10/09/12 - 11:44 am
Scoopdedoop

60 is elderly??? I assume you meant it, saying it twice. How the heck old ARE you? 10? I am 60, and by far NO MEANS elderly! Middle aged, maybe, but elderly??? I doubt the family felt as though she was elderly either.

My condolensces to the family.

Angie H
Angie H 10/09/12 - 01:17 pm
"Typical Augustan. And

"Typical Augustan. And typical arrogant SUV owner."

Harley...it's called a generalization, and when a conservative does it she is called a racist.

And my prayers are with the woman and her family.

Angie H
Angie H 10/09/12 - 01:24 pm
I wonder what would happen if

I wonder what would happen if I had posted "typical obnoxious crunk car driver."

brd27
brd27 10/09/12 - 02:25 pm
Crazy

I saw this wreck happen...they were driving and someone pulled out....the blazer spun out and then flipping numerous times....it was the most violent thing I've ever seen...yes someone pulled out and made a mistake driving...everyone's done it, just lucky not to have this happen...I stood there and watched this man care for his pregnant wife while his mother laid there dying....it was one of the worst situations I could wish on anyone...you people miss the point in the stories and just like to complain....this guys life is different forever but you don't talk about that....schocking to see how uncaring people are

Tullie
Tullie 10/09/12 - 03:34 pm
brd27

I am sure you have gotten in touch with the sheriffs dept since you were there and were a witness to the whole thing.

I was not aware it was a requirement to express our condolences to people we did not know here on a forum. I do think it a horrible experience for the whole family if you must know, I can't even imagine what that poor man must have felt trying to see to his mother and wife and worried about his baby as well. I would not wish that on anyone.

kimber61
kimber61 10/09/12 - 04:36 pm
I'm guessing no seat belts

I'm guessing no seat belts either if they were all ejected. My condolences to the entire family...

SemperParatus
SemperParatus 10/09/12 - 09:39 pm
No insurance!

To think that the at fault driver has no insurance! She had absolutely no business driving that vehicle on public streets! My prayers are with all involved.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 10/10/12 - 10:00 am
Typical liberal mindset

Blame all of Augusta, particularly SUV drivers for one person's error.

Ex-superintendent to write of miraculous recovery

Taking his doctor's advice, former Richmond County school superintendent Frank Roberson has nearly finished writing a 150-page book about his remarkable recovery from brain trauma.