Scott Dean's adopted daughter indicted on burglary charge

Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2012 8:56 AM
Last updated 7:11 PM

The adopted daughter of former Columbia County Com­mis­sioner Scott Dean has been indicted on charges of burglarizing the home of Dean’s wife and selling jewelry stolen there, according to court documents released Thursday.

A grand jury indicted Marlin Azucena Dean, 19, of Ansley Court in Martinez, and Eva Lopez-Macais Nevarez on a burglary charge. Marlin Dean also was indicted on a charge of theft by receiving stolen property.

Marlin Dean was arrested July 21 in Harlem. She is accused of stealing jewelry from her adoptive mother, Renee Meyer Dean.

A judge refused to grant bond for Marlin Dean at an Aug. 14 preliminary hearing, saying she posed a significant flight risk. She is being held in the Columbia County Detention Center.

Renee Dean said she was out of town for five days and returned home July 20. The next morning, “she awoke and found a bracelet lying on the floor, alerting her to check her jewelry box,” Harlem Public Safety Officer Chet Hopkins said at the hearing in August.

She reported about $26,000 in jewelry missing from the bedroom of her North Hicks Street home.

Nevarez told authorities that she took Marlin Dean to a Martinez pawn shop where she pawned a 1-carat diamond engagement ring set, worth $5,000, for $750, and possibly a gold heart necklace, Hopkins said. She used her passport for identification, and there is video surveillance footage of the transaction.

The ring was identified by Renee Dean and recovered, as was a topaz ring Marlin Dean pawned at a shop in Augusta on May 9.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/02/12 - 10:20 pm
Birthright Citizenship

The United States of America is one of very few countries to grant birthright citizenship. It is a most unfortunate, unintended consequence of the authors of the 14th amendment to the U.S. Constitution just after the close of the War Between the States. If a baby drops on U.S. soil, that baby is a U.S. citizen no matter what the citizenship status of the parents. It would take another constitutional amendment to undo it, and that's never going to happen.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/02/12 - 10:25 pm
Mistake

Here are the offending words, taken directly from the 14th Amendment:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

Other countries have more civilized and reasonable citizenship requirements. We are doomed.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/02/12 - 10:43 pm
14th Amendment

And let us not forget that the citizens of the rebellious states did not have any voice in the arguments or the passage of the 14th Amendment.

Ruckus
Ruckus 10/03/12 - 03:24 am
I guess ????

I guess shes told old to be put back up for adoption......

Lakeside95 10/03/12 - 07:07 am
She is 19. And unlike some

She is 19. And unlike some people think...people are not to be thrown away or given back because they do something wrong. Jeez people...did any of your children ever do anything wrong? Did you disown them?

scoobynews
scoobynews 10/03/12 - 06:54 pm
I am not disown them but I

I would not disown them but I would teach them a valuable lesson. Stealing is stealing and punishable by law. It appears she has stolen more than once from Mrs. Dean with a ring in May and more in July. She also ran away to be with a boyfriend and I assume her child is a Mexican citizen?? If so he is now an illegal? Was she receiving government assistance and who is taking care of her son now??? Lakeside??? Other illegals like her pal who committed the crime with her??? Regardless she is a grown woman who made her bed and she needs to lie in like any other American citizen. You steal you go to jail and do the required punishment. Simple as that! There are a lot of sob stories out here but a mother who truly wants what is best will do whatever it takes LEGALLY to survive not do something illegal to be thrown in jail. Did she have a job like all the rest of us? That is how I support my child. Where is the baby daddy? What support is he offering? He helped make the child and was worth running off to another country for where is he??

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/03/12 - 04:23 pm
Scooby, you've got all the

Scooby, you've got all the solutions, but no idea as to the real problem.
What good are the answers, if you don't know the questions?

scoobynews
scoobynews 10/03/12 - 06:57 pm
Lakeside seemed to know a lot

Lakeside seemed to know a lot of the answers maybe I was waiting on her to answer them.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/03/12 - 07:15 pm
Marlin will have the

Marlin will have the consequences of whatever unwise choices she has made. Even those with a total law mentality would have to admit her shoes were always difficult to walk in. A great time to rejoice for our own footwear and that of our children's.

Lakeside95 10/03/12 - 09:09 pm
Scoobys Answers

Marlin's son was born to a US citizen here in Georgia therefore he is a legal citizen. As for the true story of what really went on...I have no idea. I do know that the woman arrested then bonded out is back in jail for missing a court appearance.
What I do know are these facts: from the time that Marlin was 8 years old she was stealing food from dumpsters to feed her brother and sisters. Even while in orphanages in Guatemala she would beg on the streets to get money to buy extra food and clothes for her siblings. She was soley responsible for keeping 4 younger siblings alive until being moved to the private orphanage where she was adopted from. Even here in the US all the children would hide and horde food due to fears of starvation. So while you sit on your high horse and say 'stealing is stealing' please remember that not everyone's story is the same. The father of her son is in Mexico trying to come back to this country legally. And as for who is caring for her son- my family and I have assumed this responsibility. Now that you have gotten all of your insults disguised as questions answered....can I help you with anything else?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/03/12 - 09:45 pm
Bad Day

Lakeside95 posted:

Oh, man, the Columbia County judicial system is having a bad day. Now they've got to get ICE involved, as well as the sheriff. I thank you, Lakeside. It shows us that our local news media does not want to touch immigration issues here in our community. They only want to smear Scott Dean.

Lakeside95 10/04/12 - 06:01 pm
Smearing and interfering with judicial process...

is what Augusta media does best. I only hope that Marlin has a fair chance for an unbiased jury and a well-run trial with no judicial prejudice . Scott certainly was not afforded that right.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/04/12 - 07:43 am
Shrimp, that was hurtful and

Shrimp, that was hurtful and it really doesn't sound like you. In fact, it has ruined my day. I wish you would reconsider the harshness of your words.

Lakeside95 10/09/12 - 12:22 pm
On Topic Comment

Since my comments need to remain on point, and only involving people named in the article I shall follow this rule. Please forgive any other posts that failed to do so.

Scott Dean: How is he involved in this case? As his case has already been adjudicated, I find it immaterial to the article that he be named. Yet we all know why the article leads with his name. This 'crime' article would never have made a real article had the accused not had the last name of Dean.

Marlin Dean: She has been accused of a crime. Not convicted. Unlike the coverage and commentary during the trial of Scott Dean, I would hope that the commenters and the Chronicle themselves would have enough sense to remember 'innocent until proven guilty' I hesitate to even think that they will find a jury of her peers, due to the fact that none of us were caring for our siblings while walking through the streets of Guatemala taking food from dumpsters to eat.

Renee Dean: 'Victim' of this alleged crime.

Eva Nevarez: Illegal alien. Her presence in this country is breaking the law. Driving without a license is breaking a law. According to the above article and others she was accused of 'taking or bringing' Marlin to the pawn shops. I have seen her operate a vehicle, and have had this person in my home, I can attest to the lack of a license.

And yes, before Riverman1 or anyone else asks, I have reported illegal immigrants to the proper authorities. And as you might all imagine, I was told that there was nothing that could really be done, unless that illegal alien had committed a crime.

As with all of the articles involving the above-mentioned people, the allegations are presented in such a manner that they are assumed to be facts. I would invite any Chronicle reporter to contact me for more in-depth and verifiable information.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen