Employees caught faking purchases

Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2012 9:52 PM
Last updated 10:09 PM

Two stores accused employees of stealing thousands of dollars in merchandise Tuesday by pretending to scan the items at the register, Richmond County incident reports said.

A little before 1 p.m., a loss prevention officer from Bealls Outlet at 594 Bobby Jones Expressway told Richmond County sheriff’s deputies he had watched Kiara Latoya Clark, 19, let a woman leave the store without paying for items, including more than $4,000 in children’s clothing. The officer said she would scan the less expensive items but would put all the items in a bag. She was also accused of refunding almost $800 on fraudulent gift cards. Clark was arrested and is charged with a felony count of theft by taking, according to jail records.

Just before 3 p.m., the loss prevention officer from Walmart at 3209 Deans Bridge Road told deputies an employee was caught on video pretending to scan more than $3,000 in electronics, including four iPads and two Playstations. The male employee would scan the item as a price check instead of a purchase.

Surveillance video of both incidents was turned over to police, the reports said.

YeCats
YeCats 09/25/12 - 10:22 pm
Robbery without a gun. I'm

Robbery without a gun. I'm sure these businesses will prosecute to the fullest extinct, and these "cashiers" will get their just due. Hope they are able to make a case against the "shoppers" too.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/25/12 - 10:34 pm
Detroit's American Jewelry Pawn Shop

Frustrating…Reminds me of American Jewelry Pawn Shop in Detroit on Tru TV trying to do business. You need big bouncers bouncing baddies.

dwb619
dwb619 09/25/12 - 10:48 pm
copy cats?

Same thing a couple of weeks back at a "dollar" store in Trenton.

MeinAugusta2
MeinAugusta2 09/26/12 - 04:56 am
Just curious

Why was the female employee's name listed and the male employee's name not?

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/26/12 - 06:35 am
Not sure but maybe because

Not sure but maybe because the female was arrested and charged. Nothing is mentioned about the male employee being arrested or charged. It's possible they are still investigating this case.

Jane18
Jane18 09/26/12 - 08:09 am
Gypsies, tramps, and thieves? No, just THIEVES!

Kind of makes me wonder, how long have these THIEVES been doing this? It cannot be their fist time, not with those large amonts of money value. Pack'em off!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/26/12 - 08:49 am
LOckem up!

You can't run a business whlie the employees give it away....another example of the downfall of the Regency Mall.
Thousands of dollars....:(

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/26/12 - 09:05 am
That's

what a kindergarten education will get you!

beboisme
beboisme 09/26/12 - 09:08 am
Seenit you are so right about

Seenit you are so right about that! But the truth is Jane18 sweetheart sales are nothing new, it has been the livelyhood of dishonest employees since retail businesses began. Loss prevention will always be needed in a retail environment as well as a sharp store manager who has an eye on their merchandise. All I can say is,"Stupid is as Stupid does." Cudos to store management and Loss Prevention, but sad to hear you had to let the merchadise walk with the other thief. Hopefully the dishonest employee will rat her out.

Patty-P
Patty-P 09/26/12 - 09:12 am
Seenit, now we all know that

Seenit, now we all know that we can't just 'lock'm up'. We've got to find an alternative to incarceration for these misguided victims of the system.

beboisme
beboisme 09/26/12 - 09:38 am
True dat Open Curtain, but

True dat Open Curtain, but there are so many folks who worry about the inmates sleeping on the floors because of overcrowding in the jails and crimes such as these tend to get probation because the First Offenders law protects them. Sometimes they are required to make restitution to the victims for the loss of merchandise. But imagine a $7.25 an hour employee making $4000.00 in restitution.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/26/12 - 09:48 am
Lockem

When I say lockem I mean bunk beds--cots-even on the floor...I'm sick of babying crooks...make it unbearable for them.....make it so bad that they NEVER want to come back.....why do we give them niceties...tv...treats ...I say work again like a chain gang.
What we are doing is NOT working soooo let us do something different.

MarinerMan
MarinerMan 09/26/12 - 12:17 pm
Starting that Christmas

Starting that Christmas shopping a little early this year?? Who in their right mind would hire either of these "pillars of the retail establishment" ? How would they ever pay that kind of sum back? It is their problem, however.

pgapeach2
pgapeach2 09/26/12 - 05:00 pm
I don't know about Bealls

I don't know about Bealls, but I know for a fact that Walmart will. I had a friend whose daughter worked at a Walmart in Alabama and she got caught stealing. They arrested her on the spot. When she went to court she was ordered to pay restitution and cannot work in any Walmart no matter what city she lives in.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 09/26/12 - 05:10 pm
Criminals

that cause monetary damage should be sentenced to alternative "prisons" - report for work, wherever early in the morning and work them all day - be it picking up trash for the 'weaker sex' and digging ditches for the 'macho' men - make them work off, not "rest and relax" in jail. Yes, jails are unfortunately overcrowded, but if there were a way to sentence the non dangerous criminals to what I mentioned above (I suggested the chain gang a long time ago) maybe they would be able to finally control the jail population.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/26/12 - 06:03 pm
Well, well, well, this is

Well, well, well, one of the people from the neighborhood from Hades. I wrote a comment but I edited it because I wouldn't want to inadvertently bias a jury if it gets that far. The case needs to be tried based on its particular merits and not my perspective and opinion based on my knowledge of this person. I hope justice will be served if she is guilty as charged and that she is cleared if she is not guilty. There is a lot I would like to say; but I am going to try my best to refrain for her sake. If she is not guilty; I hope it turns into a life-altering experience in a positive way.

madgerman
madgerman 09/26/12 - 06:19 pm
Some folks are apparently

Some folks are apparently unaware of the garnishment laws that have been put in place by our beloved elected representatives (most of who are lawyers). To start with You have to get a court order directing garnishment in the county where the frlon works. Then you find out the order is good for 6 months only and must be renewed at your cost. The felon is required to pay only 25 percent of their salary for garnishment, which in this case would be

madgerman
madgerman 09/26/12 - 06:22 pm
oops I hit the wrong

oops I hit the wrong button.... In any event 25% would be about $1.81 per hour or about $40.00 per week for a part time cashier at wallmart. Now at the end of 6 months you would probably

madgerman
madgerman 09/26/12 - 06:22 pm
oops I hit the wrong

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 09/26/12 - 06:24 pm
Sean got me twice today on this article

So I'll just say this.
IF they stole from the persons paying them a working wage.
I hope they reap they full reward for the crime.

madgerman
madgerman 09/26/12 - 06:27 pm
Darn ...did it again. get

Darn ...did it again. get about $960.00. At that time you need to refile for six more months and that will cost an additional hundred bucks. In any event the $4000 would probably take almost 3 years if the crook was employed all that time. Just remember that when the crook changes employeers, you need to refile (cost another hundred) to start the process all over again. And please make sure the perp isn't paying child support which adds to your dilema. So in conclusion if you think we arte a country of laws, think again.

KSL
KSL 09/26/12 - 06:46 pm
I am all for punishment. I am

I am all for punishment. I am not certain you can rehab a person who will steal from you.

madgerman
madgerman 09/26/12 - 06:49 pm
Oh boy. I almost forgot the

Oh boy. I almost forgot the most important point if you are guarnishing someones wages. Show up with cash to pay them - unless you are a lawyer. It appears they have a rule that they don't trust the average law abiding citizen to write a check unless you are a lawyer, then you are trusted fully. Of course that is a RC rule and not a CC rule. All the courts have different rules and charge different amounts. Believe me it is a night mare, I have spent over 300 dollars and two years trying to get $500.00 out of a deadbeat, but I am slowly winning in spite of our legal system.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/17/12 - 03:42 pm
Is it odd...

Is it odd that there is no sign of this arrest/case on the Richmond County court docket yet? Or are they just that far behind down there?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/08/13 - 03:46 pm
January 2013

Just checked the docket. January 2013, Kiara gets 5 years probation and no fines for this felony theft by taking. Not even any community service? What kind of pull does she or her relatives have. Notice that is not a question.