Richmond County Sheriff's Office reports increase in appliance thefts

Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2012 1:41 PM
Last updated 8:57 PM

Richmond County sheriff’s investigators have seen a surge in kitchen appliance thefts and are asking home­owners to beware.

Sgt. Paul Godden said investigators have seen two to three reports of appliance thefts every day for the past two weeks. The thefts of refrigerators, stoves and other appliances are generally occurring at vacant houses for sale or rent.

Investigator Kendall Brown, the co­ordinator of the CSRA Metal Theft Task Force, said the items will likely wind up sold at recycling centers.

He said it’s the newest turn the area is seeing in metal-theft trends. Vehicle battery thefts also have increased during the past several weeks.

Investigators are asking that home­owners mark their appliances or keep records of the serial numbers to assist the sheriff’s office in the event of a theft.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/18/12 - 02:42 pm
What Next.

Brass Door Knobs!

Insider Information
Insider Information 09/18/12 - 05:47 pm
Welcome to the Obama Economy.

Welcome to the Obama Economy.

Jake
Jake 09/18/12 - 06:27 pm
Appliances

It burns me up to hear of people stealing ranges. And to think that someone would swipe a fridge leaves me cold. Microwave thieves should be nuked. Anyone caught lifting a dishwasher should just come clean.

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/18/12 - 06:28 pm
Well well, I'm glad to see

Well well, I'm glad to see the new recycling law is having such a positive effect. I don't have to worry about my AC unit but somebody will destroy my house breaking in to rip out the stove, frig, dishwasher, etc. and probably bugger up my car stealing the battery on the way out.

Way to go legislators. You really solved that one. Is this what you politicos call "unintended consequences".

Sweet son
Sweet son 09/18/12 - 07:15 pm
Just Remember to...............

padlock the battery in your vehicles. Recycle police say that batteries are the next item that is hot!

Bacon Grease
Bacon Grease 09/18/12 - 07:37 pm
They just need a loving sheriff.

They need love and some poetry read to them, perhaps even a big hug.

rebellious
20780
rebellious 09/18/12 - 08:35 pm
i got a dryer

I would pay someone $50 bucks to hoist. One of the wheels the drum rolls on and it sounds like a paint mixer, and I dread disassembling that thing with a passion. Thank goodness we can close the door when it is running.

I am reminded of the joke of the guy who tried to give away a refridgerator by putting it on the curb with a sign printed "FREE" on it. Sat for days. Then he wised up and changed the sign to say "Used Fridge, $100" It was stolen the next day.

dwb619
dwb619 09/18/12 - 09:34 pm
rebellious

I suppose the days of a major appliance lasting 20 years are gone.

rebellious
20780
rebellious 09/19/12 - 12:33 am
DW

I have to admit, I can't remember the last time I bought a new one. Heck I ain't sure I ever have bought a new one. I repair, rebuild, and do everything I can to pinch a penny. So.. I really can't complain. And after I posted that comment, I looked at the prices, and guess what? I am pricing used ones.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/19/12 - 08:23 am
yeh bacon grease

A great big old hug would stop this nonesense....just hug them all the way to the jail...:)

Gander Mountain opens

Outdoor retailer Gander Mountain opened at 9 a.m. today at 145 Mason McKnight Jr. Parkway, across from CarMax.