Girl, 12, hit, killed by car on Washington Road in Evans

Friday, Sept. 14, 2012 7:30 PM
Last updated 10:54 PM

A 12-year-old girl died at the hospital Friday after being hit by a vehicle on Washington Road in Evans.

About 4:30 p.m., MaKenna Arildsen stepped into the path of a 2003 Cadillac Escalade traveling west on Washington Road, just past the Evans Walmart, said Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris.

“She darted out into traffic,” he said.

MaKenna was taken by helicopter to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where she was pronounced dead at 8 p.m.

MaKenna, a pupil at Evans Middle School, was walking near the Chimney Hill subdivision when she was hit. The neighborhood is across the street from where MaKenna lives in Country Place, Morris said.

Charges will not be filed against the driver, Juanita Benjamin, 54, of Hephzibah, Morris said.

Columbia County deputy coroner Harriet Garrison said because there are no charges, there will not be an autopsy.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 09/14/12 - 11:02 pm
Just like that, folks. Your

Just like that, folks. Your darling child goes out of the house and you just never know. How terrible for that family and for all this little girl's friends at Evans Middle School. Just heartsick. And I also feel so sorry for the poor lady who hit her.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 09/14/12 - 11:11 pm
Prayers

So sorry to hear news like this. For this girls family and for Mrs. Benjamin I offer my prayers and concern. I have always prayed that I would never have to face accidentally hitting a child that darts out in front of me. It will be a hard thing to handle.

blues550
blues550 09/15/12 - 01:55 am
tragic

This has been a horrific week for Columbia County.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/15/12 - 08:30 am
Prayers and condolences to

Prayers and condolences to the Alrildsen family. May the Lord comfort you and give you the strength to endure.

Retired Army
Retired Army 09/15/12 - 08:48 am
Both families will suffer for

Both families will suffer for years if not forever over this tragedy. Prayers for all.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 09/15/12 - 09:26 am
God bless

Miss Arildsen's soul and her family.

CabisKhan
CabisKhan 09/15/12 - 10:05 am
Watch out

When I was a kid I saw the young daughter of the Augusta fire chief break from his hand and got killed by a car near Kings Way( in the late 1950's or 60'), and to this day, when I see a child near the road I just expect them to run out and so drive accordingly. It is best to look at the sides of the road as well as the road itself. God Bless This Family.

CabisKhan
CabisKhan 09/15/12 - 10:05 am
Watch out

CabisKhan
CabisKhan 09/15/12 - 10:06 am
Watch out

CabisKhan
CabisKhan 09/15/12 - 10:06 am
Watch out

CabisKhan
CabisKhan 09/15/12 - 10:10 am
Sorry for the triplicate glitch

I kept trying to get it to save.Duh

Kingbiscuitboy
Kingbiscuitboy 09/15/12 - 08:26 pm
Traffic light was promised

I was told by the owner of the KFC that the county had promised a traffic light at Chimney Hill and Washington Rd. when he bought the property but never came through. It was one of the things contributing to the closing of the store. It was always my contention that someone had to die to get a light there. It is a shame the first death was a 12 year old pedestrian.

NoHayManera
NoHayManera 09/16/12 - 02:14 pm
CC has had 3 traffic fatalities in one week.

My thoughts go out to all three families, who have lost their loved one(s) this week.

Augusta's ties to Liberia date back to 1836

Richmond County’s ties to West Africa date back to the 1830s, when plantation owner Richard Tubman wrote in his will that his slaves were to be offered freedom. More recently, Augustans have ...