Education

More News | |

Columbia County investigating middle school sexual assault allegations

Friday, Sept. 14, 2012 4:59 PM
Last updated 7:40 PM

Four Lakeside Middle School pupils said this week that a classmate sexually assaulted them.

The resource officer for the school in Martinez called Columbia County sheriff’s deputies Thursday morning after four 12-year-old girls complained that a 13-year-old male classmate made “uninvited contact with their intimate body parts,” according to a sheriff’s office report.

The girls said the boy slapped at them or poked at them with his hands.

The boy has not been charged, but a juvenile complaint form has been filed, the report said.

The information was referred to the Criminal Investigations Division and the case is under investigation, sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris said.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/14/12 - 05:10 pm
Please

"No Rush To Judgement on this one"

1 - maybe

but

4 ?????????

saltine
saltine 09/14/12 - 05:23 pm
sexual assault

My 9 year old grand-daughter had the same problem last year, at Blythe Elementary.What are these "little fellows" being exposed to? I was told her offender was mentally-handicapied which still makes it a sexual assault.What is our school system up against??

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/14/12 - 05:58 pm
saltine

Bill Clinton 101 is now a required Morality Class being thought.

tanbaby
tanbaby 09/14/12 - 05:45 pm
good thing it wasn't my

good thing it wasn't my nieces daughter and/or step daughter....things would have gotten really, really ugly....

lddist
lddist 09/14/12 - 06:11 pm
not defending this kid but is

not defending this kid but is copping a feel sexual assault? I know I am gonna be blasted for that comment but come on...sexual assault? I do believe if he has did this before then he should be out of school but not sure of the sexual assault charge.

Jake
Jake 09/14/12 - 06:13 pm
Different Times Now

Not that this is related to the above story because sexual assault at any age is a serious matter. But back in the 50's and early 60's we used to play "Spin the Bottle" and "Post Office" at birthday parties which involved kissing the opposite sex. Our ages back then were roughly 8-12 yrs old. All of it was usually done with adults present but sometimes they were too busy cutting cake or whatever. I can't think of the last time I heard of this type of activity going on at a birthday party. Now if it happened there would be a raid and it would make front page news.

Jake
Jake 09/14/12 - 06:18 pm
@lddist

Yes, copping a feel is sexual assault especially if the one that is felt is felt against their wish. A police officer told me recently, when a homeless person tried to spit on me, that that is also assault and next time to call the police.

KSL
KSL 09/14/12 - 07:05 pm
assault.

Absolutely, spitting is assault. Jake is correct on both counts.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 09/14/12 - 07:49 pm
There are quite a few things

There are quite a few things these days that are over criminalized relative to the past. This could certainly considered one of them. Schools, and even parents, have turned over the discipline of children to the police. And they are very pleased to have captured a "budding career sex offender.". This harkens back to the middle ages when there was not a special status attached to childhood....kids were treated like miniature adults.

Jake
Jake 09/14/12 - 08:44 pm
palmetto

I don't know about you but I have a 16yr old daughter and if someone was grabbing her crotch or breasts at school then I would want the jerk arrested, for his protection, if you catch my drift.
This type of criminal, and I do mean criminal, behavior has no place in our society or schools. I would assume from your position that if people are groping you then it is just fine.

specsta
specsta 09/14/12 - 09:15 pm
Assault?

The TSA can grab, grope, and fondle any part of the body they want, in the name of "security". Even to children. Is that sexual assault? I don't know of any TSA agent being charged with a crime. This is a mixed up world we live in.

Jake
Jake 09/14/12 - 09:34 pm
grope and fondle

I have yet to be groped and fondled by a TSA agent. If you don't mind your child (assuming you have one) being groped or fondled at school then if it happens please tell the authorities it is OK with you.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 09/14/12 - 10:55 pm
Jake, I can't for the life of

Jake, I can't for the life of me right now remember the name of the theorist, Canadian, if I recall correctly, who posits the inverse relationship between testicle and brain size. I wanted to refer his writing to you.

Jake
Jake 09/15/12 - 01:58 am
Testicle

palmetto, if you can't remember the Canadian theorist then maybe you are using your testicle more than your brain. This has nothing to do with young girls being sexually assaulted in school.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/15/12 - 04:54 am
no tolerance

Sexual assult should be dealt with heavy handed. Not with kid gloves.

lddist
lddist 09/15/12 - 06:50 am
If the kid is touching girls

If the kid is touching girls inappropriately then he should be removed from the school but to call it sexual assault , in my opinion,is similar to people who call everything racist. It cheapens the true meaning of the word.

lddist
lddist 09/15/12 - 06:53 am
oops...posted twice new at

oops...posted twice
new at this. still learning.

TheMaskedMan
TheMaskedMan 09/15/12 - 08:45 am
You think they're overdoing punishment for the 13 yr old boy?

If you do, you are mentally and socially immature. Children have the right to go to school and have the expectation of safety, respect and decency. At the age of 13, boys and girls know it is improper to put their hand on anyone. He is lucky he did not do this to my daughter as I have trained her to "deck" anyone who touches her and to fight unfairly if you get my meaning. I hope if he continues his immaturity in this manner that he quickly runs into a girl who will teach him a good lesson in keeping his hands to himself. He should find himself on the floor clutching what is left of his testis at the very least... For those of you that think that this wasn't any big deal - you will eventually find out the hard way by your own actions and the consequences of them - that this is a big deal.

redapples
redapples 09/15/12 - 09:01 am
Those of you that think this

Those of you that think this is a non-story, would you think the same if your daughter was the one assaulted?! Give it whatever label you want, it is criminal!

JRC2024
JRC2024 09/15/12 - 09:15 am
Most all of the guys and gals

Most all of the guys and gals would have had labels in the eighth and ninth grade classes at Langford with all the hay ride parties and slumber parties. Spin the bottle was fun and no one was raped, hurt and we did not grow up to be sexual predators, at least none that I know of.

KSL
KSL 09/15/12 - 10:53 am
Iddist, we are not the ones

Iddist, we are not the ones calling it sexual assault. The law is. We just happen to agree with the law.

kc fan
kc fan 09/15/12 - 10:57 am
I played my fair share of

I played my fair share of spin the bottle and post office in my teens but never even thought about touching girls as described in this article. If you really want to be shocked, go to a middle or high scholl dance to view why teens act the way they do!

KSL
KSL 09/15/12 - 11:07 am
I know the difference between

I know the difference between a hayride and school.

lddist
lddist 09/15/12 - 11:20 am
Sorry folks, I'm not

Sorry folks, I'm not defending this guy at all. I have a daughter that goes to this school. We have had the dis
cussion about what to do if someone touches her inappropriately. knock the crap out of them. We will deal with the attempted murder charges later.

lddist
lddist 09/15/12 - 11:28 am
I agree with kc fan too...go

I agree with kc fan too...go to a middle school dance...about the only thing missing is a pole. Sorry...showing my mental and social immaturity.

KSL
KSL 09/15/12 - 11:36 am
Good for you

I went to a high school in West Georgia, my friend, now husband, who attended another high school 35 miles away, called the prison high school. Members of the opposite sex were not allowed to have any "bodily contact." First of all, imagine how that sounded to a bunch of teenagers. But that asside, we knew what the Principal meant. No touching or we were out of there.

lddist
lddist 09/15/12 - 11:50 am
Apparently some folks took my

Apparently some folks took my comments as me defending the guy. I never did. I just think sexual assault sounds worse than what he allegedly did. But some folks think spanking is abuse, so I guess just different trains of thought. Would not want this kid around my daughter or in school at all if the allegations are true. Sorry if i offended some people with my different way of thinking. Guess I am just old skool.

KSL
KSL 09/15/12 - 11:59 am
I can't imagine how things

I can't imagine how things are now. I was 5.5 years older than my sister and 7 years older than my brother. Our family had a pond and a cabin which was a great place to entertain. One night my 6th grade brother was to have a party and the next my 8th grade sister. My future husband and I, college students, were forced to chaperone the dance. The 6th graders were so cute. The 8th graders were a nightmare trying to keep them behaving right. My parents knew which party to schedule first. We would have balked at the 6th graders ' party based on the experience with the 8th graders.

Oh, I should not fail to mention that this was in the late 60's.

RWsMom
RWsMom 09/15/12 - 12:09 pm
My goodness! How easily some

My goodness! How easily some of you forget your youth! This is a 12 year old BOY we are talking about here! And yes, 13 year old girls, who, by the way mature a LOT faster than boys. It's the adults who are putting ugly in to NORMAL child exploration and behaviors! Yes, the boy needs to be counciled on appropriate behaviors, but my guess is, so do the girls! To send this young kid to jail and then label him a s*x offender for the rest of his life, is NOT the answer! And yes, that will happen if this goes to court! There are children as young as 9 years old on the registry! Wake up adults! What were you doing on your prom night? Better yet, look at Elvis Presley, Woody Allen or Patrick Swayze.......their wives were 14 years old! This young kid in this story isn't even as old as the girls! Yet, you all want to throw him in prison and throw away the key? I see a problem there!

soapy_725
soapy_725 09/15/12 - 12:24 pm
Nancy Pelosi reportedly liked the TSA

body searches. But that was Nancy and we probably do not want to know what else she enjoys.