Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Lawn mower thief pulls gun on owner

Monday, Sept. 10, 2012 12:34 AM
Last updated 12:38 AM

An Augusta man nearly got shot after he chased down a lawn mower thief Sunday afternoon, according to a Richmond County Sheriff’s report.

Around 4 p.m., police were called to the 500 block of Milledge Road, where 41-year-old Brian Welsh said he had seen a man take a lawn mower and blower out of his backyard. He said he yelled at the man, who ran away but hung onto the equipment.

Welsh chased the man until he let go of the mower and jumped into the passenger’s side of a blue Ford Expedition. The thief then reached into the glove compartment, pulled out a black pistol and pointed it at Welsh, who gave up the chase.

The Ford was last seen heading north on Milledge Road.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/10/12 - 05:01 am
Same crap...different day

Ok Wayne...take a look at this article....this is what they live with day in & day out!

oldfella
oldfella 09/10/12 - 07:21 am
I salute the thiefs ambition

If you steal landscaping equipment you probably intend to use them for manual labor. If so, it's nice to see people willing to get their hands dirty doing some hard work for a change. He might even come back to try for for a shovel tomorrow.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 09/10/12 - 07:21 am
Chasing A Thief

You never chase a thief without a firearm - (12 ga double barrel shotgun, with OO buck, preferably). You really can't shot the SOB legally but when The thief then reached into the glove compartment, pulled out a black pistol and pointed it at Welsh you pull both triggers at the same time - BANG

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 09/10/12 - 08:50 am
You said it SeenitB4

SCDD
So where is this stuff showing up:
Flea markets in neighbors towns,
Pawn and Thrift Stores outside Augusta and across the river,
Craigslist
and yes even private requests to find an steal.

movingtoaugusta
movingtoaugusta 09/10/12 - 09:36 am
black monte carlo

black late 70's Monte Carlo, license plate in rear window, weed eater sticking out of the rear side window, 2 of Augusta's best in the front seat, cursing the hill right now......probably looking for work.

pommom38
pommom38 09/10/12 - 10:11 am
Yep

was only a matter of time before one almost gets killed because they chase..
Sorry, you can have the mower if you want it that bad!
Agree CG, you don't have a gun to point in return, let em go!!

faithson
faithson 09/10/12 - 10:41 am
thieving on the hill is rampant

batten down the hatches, the criminal element is out there in force. Caught a guy next door working through my neighbors stuff last week. He ran when I called out. Only answer I can see is make sure your stuff is secure and out of sight. Also had a report of a robbery where the guy was hit over the head on lackman lane which parallels Central Ave to the south. Maybe time to hook up a 120 line to my mower and leave it out... Can one get into do-do for that ???

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 09/10/12 - 10:45 am
I don't care how bad you want the mower!!

Uh....no, you can't have the mower! Once thieves get the idea that there will be no resistance, then crime will really skyrocket.

You might as well hang a sign out front which says "Mower out back in unlocked shed. Owner committed to nonviolence".

What's the matter with you people? Have you lost the courage to defend your own property?

Wimps!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 09/10/12 - 01:54 pm
"Can one get into do-do for

"Can one get into do-do for that ???"

Yep, sure can. Booby traps are not legal.

rebellious
rebellious 09/10/12 - 03:09 pm
2 nights ago

Way out here in the country where it is pitch black, bout 10:00 p.m. my pit bull started a low bark, then eased down the driveway into the darkness. I watched and knowing something wasnt right holstered. It was then I heard the first fellow start hollering and cussing my dog. But I couldn't find my flashlight. Started looking for it, cause a gun in the dark is pretty useless. That's when the second fellow screamed and the ole canine was mixing it up pretty good with em by now, so I yelled out I would be there as soon as I found my flashlight. I wasn't really hurrying cause you got no business walking on a long stretch of dark country road at 10:00 at night. By the time I found the light and eased down the driveway, the dog was walking back towards me. It almost looked like he was smiling, you know like that doggy dentures commercial. Well, he wouldn't tell me exactly what went on, and the two fellers.....they was waaaaaaay down the road. So I gave the dog a treat biscuit, called RCSD dispatch to come see if there was any meat left on the bones.

I like that dog........

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 09/10/12 - 08:20 pm
rebellious, what a great

rebellious, what a great story! Give that dog a treat biscuit for me, will ya?

rebellious
rebellious 09/10/12 - 11:45 pm
JMOP

You got it. I had a friend stop over one day. Dog kept him in the truck till I came out, as he should. I was telling my friend how the dog bit another man the previous day. My friend knew, and didn't like the guy Dog bit. He offered too buy Dog from me. I declined. I did, however, offer to rent Dog out for a day or so to achieve desired results.

We are still negotiating the details.

Here boy...this treat is from Just My Opinion.

Jane18
Jane18 09/11/12 - 07:19 am
Sic'em Boy!

There is nothing like a good dog. I've also had one or two that would not let someone out of their vehicle. Now that's a good dog! I don't have a dog anymore, but, I do have weaponS!! And I will 'protect' my zero-turn!!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/11/12 - 05:37 pm
Spreading....

Crime can happen anywhere.... And it sure is.

CABoatright
CABoatright 09/13/12 - 06:28 am
Good doggie!!

Good doggie!!

Ex-superintendent to write of miraculous recovery

Taking his doctor's advice, former Richmond County school superintendent Frank Roberson has nearly finished writing a 150-page book about his remarkable recovery from brain trauma.