Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Deputies swarm Central Avenue during manhunt

Suspect being sought after break-in

Wednesday, Aug 29, 2012 2:19 PM
Last updated 8:52 PM

Richmond County sheriff’s investigators were working to identify suspects after a break-in off Central Avenue Wednesday afternoon.

Richmond County sheriff's investigators were working to identify suspects after a break-in off Central Avenue Wednesday afternoon.  BIANCA CAIN JOHNSON/STAFF
BIANCA CAIN JOHNSON/STAFF

A man the police had in custody and questioned was cleared of any connection with the burglary, Sgt. James Kelly said.

Deputies canvassed the area near the 1600 block of Central Avenue around 1 p.m. while investigators searched for suspects who broke into a home and stole several items. The items were later recovered by investigators in a vacant house in the area, Kelly said.

fishman960
fishman960 08/29/12 - 02:25 pm
Imagine that

2 black males...... and to think the black community is being unfairly targeted.

cparker
cparker 08/29/12 - 02:32 pm
I see it doesn't take much to

I see it doesn't take much to activate the racial insensitivity of white folks in Augusta. Immorality doesn't have a race, gender, or address!!

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/29/12 - 02:34 pm
Not a violent crime.

Not a violent crime. Roundtree wants to pass on locking up non-violent criminals.

fishman960
fishman960 08/29/12 - 02:47 pm
Racial insensitivity?

How's this,
White folks are stupid and rob 401k's, treasury funds and corporate wealth.
Black folks are stupid and rob people on the street and burglar people's houses.
There's some equal opportunity racism for ya!
See how long this stays up before it is flagged.

pommom38
pommom38 08/29/12 - 02:49 pm
Ha!

Of course Dich, it isn't him or his family being stolen from! Who cares that honest and hard working people are losing their things, it isn't him.
Your point Fishman? White people are breaking the law just as much nowadays.

fishman960
fishman960 08/29/12 - 03:00 pm
Right

Pom, that is exactly my point.
In the federal penitentiary now we have 2 white criminals from Augusta and 1 black criminal from Augusta.
People see what they want to see and turn a blind eye when it suits them.

fishman960
fishman960 08/29/12 - 03:03 pm
Refresh

I'm pretty sure most know who I am referring to but just in case;

Williams, Shrenko, and Walker.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/29/12 - 03:40 pm
The biiiiiiiiig difference

is that I'm not afraid that someone robbing my pension plan is going to break into my home and kill me or someone in my family.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/29/12 - 03:53 pm
fishman960

There are more pretty well-known Augustans in Federal Prison than those three, for instance, James Benjamin Allen, Ralph "Tyrone" Williams, and Joe Ellick, oh, Joe already got out and headed for Florida. BTW, anyone know when Allen and Williams are getting out? Oh, I forgot to mention, all three of these are black, if that is relevant to you. All that is really relevant to me is their criminal history.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/29/12 - 04:01 pm
Some Family member burglarized this morning also.

Today I had family burglarized, while dropping kids off at school this morning. They returned to a ram sacked house. The burglars used bolt cutters to cut every lock on fences and the sheds. They stole several gas powered Garden equipment items and practically turned the house over, looking for anything and everything while inside.

Trust me, I fully understand the police cannot sit in front of every house and you can only count on neighbors so much.

But today it became family personal.

Some crimes require a heavier price than some judges are willing to, or legally able to apply. Too bad public whippings were ruled cruel, although I still see them as a very just reward.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 08/29/12 - 03:54 pm
more of barry's kids, their

more of barry's kids, their EBT must have ran out and then needed more to go to the strip club

fishman960
fishman960 08/29/12 - 03:55 pm
Fed pen

Autumn, I agree with you. Those are just the most recent ones.

nocnoc, I feel your pain. I haven't lost what you lost, but my backyard was burgled also. I now have surveillance and am waiting for them to return.

If you value what is yours, I suggest setting up surveillance on your things also.it gave me great peace of mind.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/29/12 - 04:02 pm
Happened to me...

Happened to me one day when I went to church and then a neighborhood meeting. When I returned from the neighborhood meeting, caught some people that had left the meeting earlier than I did loading up their beat up old white van with my belongings, including a new lawn mower I had just borrowed that morning from a family member. I was so confused I didn't understand what I was seeing until I parked the car and started looking around the carport after my eyes adjusted to the shade under there. By then they had taken off and I didn't have their tag. I hadn't even finished bringing in my boxes from my move! I found my color organized and labeled boxes under a table with my knick knacks on top of the table a week later at a local flea market with those same people selling them. My daughter had the sense to drag me away when I said, "Oh look, they have the same knick knacks I do, oh, they even color-coordinated their storage containers just like I did....about then it dawned on me as she was pulling me away. By the time I got security, they were gone. Apparently, they recognized me before I recognized them, which accounts for the terrified look on their faces that I had puzzled over when I walked up. Not coincidentally, they had had lawn mowers at the next booth, too.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/29/12 - 04:09 pm
Fishman960

Funny you'd say something about using cameras.

Google: Video Patrol 5.0. or ZMODO

tgentry
tgentry 08/29/12 - 04:44 pm
ZModo is a great DVR

I have ZModo and 16 cameras. It is a great dvr. It has 1 terabyte of storage and records 24/7 saving me at least 30 days of videos. I can use my iphone and watch my house at anytime. In fact it is so good it caught a hit and run driver. This guy hit my car then left. With the Neighbors seeing it and the video, the police where able to get the person.

SON of Scoob
SON of Scoob 08/29/12 - 05:07 pm
Two black males - imagine

Two black males - imagine that - wait a minute two African American males - but still - imagine that

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/29/12 - 05:28 pm
SON of Scoob

I see you were listen to Neal this AM, the difference between a Black male and an African American......

corgimom
corgimom 08/29/12 - 06:17 pm
Fishman, how would you

Fishman, how would you possibly know how many people are in the Federal prison system that are from Augusta, and what race they are?

corgimom
corgimom 08/29/12 - 06:20 pm
Because Fishman, I think you

Because Fishman, I think you would also need to look at all of those in Fed prison because of drug dealing in Augusta.

Your comment was inflammatory and unfair, Fishman. You are better than that.

countyman
20581
countyman 08/29/12 - 06:28 pm
I think Fishman needs to

I think Fishman needs to invite some black people over for dinner... It's the year 2012, and there's no explanation for those type of comments..

I agree with Richard Roundtree in terms of keeping non violent offenders out of jail... Burglaries are much different compared to people who get caught with 1 ounce or less of marijuana... They need to be given tickets, and not sent to jail...

There's a problem when the people who sell drugs get more time than murderers, rapist, etc...

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/29/12 - 06:32 pm
Thumbs up, countyman. It's

Thumbs up, countyman. It's those types of comments that prevent Augusta from being the city you want it to be. The best and brightest people of all colors flock to more progressive and, frankly, more civilized locations.

fishman960
fishman960 08/29/12 - 06:42 pm
opinions

Corgi, those are my opinions. And just like you, I am entitled to them whether they are right or not. You have missed my point, but take it like you will.

Countyman, you are welcome to break bread at my table any time you want. You might be surprised at who eats at my table.

Y'all can gang up on me all you want, I can take it.... but I dish it out as well.

fishman960
fishman960 08/29/12 - 06:54 pm
looking back

In looking back at the comments, I do not see where I was inflammatory. I speak truthfully.

If I offended anyone by speaking my mind, I apologize to you. My delivery may be a little unorthodox to some.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/29/12 - 07:12 pm
Having your home robbed is like

being raped. We have a right to privacy in our homes. Maybe we should use Muslim law and just cut of a hand each time. Then maybe a foot. No jail time. This could be a deterrent, eventually. Laws do not work. Maybe loss of limbs would work. Las Vegas has "one armed bandits".

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/29/12 - 07:16 pm
I may have given you a pass,

I may have given you a pass, fishman, if you would have been the first to jump to comment on the white guy who tried to run down a cop and alluded to his racial classification. Same day, same time, same website, same page.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 08/29/12 - 07:16 pm
"The best and brightest

"The best and brightest people of all colors flock to more progressive and, frankly, more civilized locations." Hmmmmmmmmmm............

Delta? Greyhound? Enterprise?

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/29/12 - 07:18 pm
Any of those work, gage.

Any of those work, gage.

fishman960
fishman960 08/29/12 - 07:49 pm
Subscription

Palm, I do not subscribe to the AC so I usually comment after reading on Yahoo or Facebook. I did not see that article. I am mostly focused on the Sheriff's race.
If you go back a couple days to the article about the man being arrested for his family living in filth, you will see I had strong comments about that as well. This was a white man.
If you go back to the many articles dealing with the Sheriffs race, you will see that I am an equal opportunity commenter.
I have asserted all along that I do not see color.
I have lived in Augusta since 1972 and I have a lot of knowledge of what goes on around here.
I have been commenting on this site since 2009 and have made many posts, all are in my profile page.
I have strong feelings about race relations in this town but I assure I am no racist.
One of the current themes with the Sheriffs race is that the black population have been unfairly targeted. I do not agree with this assessment. I do not care for hypocrosy in any form and will point it out however I choose to.

fishman960
fishman960 08/29/12 - 07:54 pm
Adrian Hargrove

This man murdered my wife's Uncle, Aunt, Cousin and her unborn child in cold blood. I have made MANY comments about him and his case but I have NEVER EVER made any racial comments about him!

I do not see color and have never used it in a derogatory manner like so many on here have.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/29/12 - 11:08 pm
Then, I sincerely apologize,

Then, I sincerely apologize, fishman. I'm aware of no study looking at Augusta specifically. But there is a abundance of research that shows disparate levels of law enforcement based on race...of course, socioeconomic status is a confounding factor. And, the race of the chief law enforcement officer or the racial composition of the force seems not to play a role.