Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Edgefield DUI charge for Saluda deputy

Tuesday, Aug 28, 2012 11:28 AM
Last updated 7:15 PM

EDGEFIELD, S.C. — A Saluda County sheriff’s deputy has been suspended without pay after state troopers arrested him and charged him with drunken driving.

Chief Deputy Robin Freeman says the deputy is 44-year-old Robert Shorter. Freeman says Shorter is a major and is the office’s chief of investigations.

Authorities say troopers stopped Shorter just after midnight Sunday about eight miles outside of Edgefield in his golf cart. He is charged with driving under the influence and operating an uninsured vehicle.

Shorter has been employed with the sheriff’s office for 11 years. It wasn’t immediately clear whether he has an attorney.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/28/12 - 12:15 pm
I'd have to see all the

I'd have to see all the evidence on this one. It could be he was off the road real close to his house or something. Riding a golf cart a little boozy off the roads is not a DUI in my mind. I guess it all depends if he was on the road or not. Riding a golf cart on the course drinking beer is the norm, matter of fact.

my.voice
my.voice 08/28/12 - 01:20 pm
Clearly he was on a highway,

Clearly he was on a highway, and off or on the "pavement" he was on it illegally. Golf carts on roadways are a death trap, and mix in alcohol and youre just asking for it.

Golf courses are not public rights of way, so I dont know how you worked that in here. And just because its "the norm" (Which I doubt) its stupidity to drink and drive any sort of mechanized vehicle. But this is the attitude society has, and unless someone's killed, it doesnt matter as long as you dont get caught.

dwb619
dwb619 08/28/12 - 02:47 pm
golf carts

In South Carolina one can operate a golf cart during the day light hours, on roads posted 35 mph or less, with liability insurance, with head lights, tail lights, and with in 2 miles( I believe) of your residence.
So, after midnite was the give away.

bclicious
bclicious 08/28/12 - 11:15 pm
This guy is finished!!!

I can guarantee ya'll one thing. No matter what the outcome of this case is; this man has lost his livelyhood.

That means 1 more statistic added to unemployment.

Yes; it is his fault; however, it still sucks.

Ruckus
Ruckus 08/29/12 - 04:50 am
Heee haha ha haha

Only in SC can you get a DUI on a bicycle and golf cart. hahah haha

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/29/12 - 09:57 am
Bad decision

Once you put enough alcohol in your body your decision making becomes askew. You do things that you would never attemp sober.
I don't think I've ever driven a golf cart sober. I was always on a golf course though. I was also hitting golf balls that were landing on fairways that wasn't even the hole I was playing.
I don't drink anymore and I thank God I never hurt or killed anyone or even got a DUI. Only by the Grace of God was I spared. I could be in jail for running into someone and killing them instead of sitting home sober and happy.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 08/29/12 - 09:10 pm
Ruckus...you might want to

Ruckus...you might want to check up on that only in SC statement.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...