Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta man arrested after family found in filth

Friday, Aug 24, 2012 11:16 AM
Last updated 9:16 PM

An Augusta man is facing charges after police responded to a death at his home and found the family living in filth.

G. Cobranchi  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
G. Cobranchi

According to Richmond County sheriff’s Sgt. Dan Carrier, investigators were called to 1123 Sadie Drive in Rae’s Creek Mobile Home Park, off Gordon Highway, about 5:30 a.m. Friday to investigate the death of Jerri Cobranchi, 44.

Police charged the woman’s husband, Gregg Cobranchi, 46, with two counts of second-degree cruelty to children for the conditions in the home.

The couple’s two children, ages 10 and 16, have been removed from the home and placed in the care of a relative.

An autopsy was conducted on Jerri Cobranchi on Friday morning. The results are expected in about seven days.

georgia2005rebel
georgia2005rebel 08/24/12 - 02:22 pm
Results are expected in about seven days.

I guess some people have it better than others when they make the news. It took 3-4 months to get autopsy results for when my mother passed.

corgimom
corgimom 08/24/12 - 07:25 pm
There are minor children

There are minor children involved. The state needs to know what she died of, so they know how to proceed with the children.

To say that "some people have it better than others" is disgusting, not to mention just plain ignorant.

Was anyone facing criminal charges when your mother died?

wright12345
wright12345 08/25/12 - 02:24 pm
news always twist things up to make it more interesting

I know them personally and they are some of the kindest people I've meet. The husband called the police because he woke up to the wife having trouble. by the time the ambulance got there, it was too late. they treat their kids great, and loved each other.the children are always happy,clean, and fed. The couple is always trying to help others in need. It is a shame that because the house is not clean, they decided to arrest the husband the same night that his wife and the children's mother passed. They also threatened to take away the children, where is this justice that is suppose to be for the good of the people? Just imagine how the children are feeling right now, they lost their mother and their father got arrested in the same day. The authorities took things too far. Sad thing is, people will believe the news and use it to judge someone they don't even know.I will be praying for the family and hoping for the best. Bad things happen to good people, sometimes way too often.

augustarookie
augustarookie 08/25/12 - 09:17 pm
More than that

I suspect the place was more than "not clean." More like filthy and a health hazard.

Cynical old woman
Cynical old woman 08/26/12 - 11:59 am
Article says

"covered in trash, rotting food, roaches and maggots" and that is a LOT more than "not clean"!

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/26/12 - 08:42 pm
I would think that because of

I would think that because of what just happened, they would have given him some time to clean the place up. Then send someone out there to check, if not cleaned up, then proceed to the next step. Some people can be very insensitive.

fishman960
fishman960 08/26/12 - 11:29 pm
Trailer Parks

Most people that live in trailer parks are there for a reason. That area does NOT have a clean reputation. Think back a couple years to the woman that died living the same way in South Augusta. That neighborhood was NOT stellar either. Lazy, handicapped, drugged out, whatever the reason it does not excuse deplorable conditions. Especially with children in the house.
RIP Jerri Cobranchi, you live in filth no more. Pray for the children.

CABoatright
CABoatright 08/27/12 - 07:18 am
fishman-back off & think

fishman-back off & think again!
I live in that area. I am gainfully employed, have worked the same federal job over 25 years, am NOT lazy, handicapped or drugged out. While I agree that "trash" lives everywhere, I've met some of the most down to earth people I've ever known in my life, right there in the same area.
Now, you may ask, why live in "that" area? Because I divorced my a'hole husband & got as far away from him as I could. That meant away from Columbia county, the backyard pool & the too-high mortgage!!
I live within my means, have no credit card debt, work in my yard every weekend, keep an immaculate home, work fulltime AND take care of the rest of my responsibilities...as do my neighbors. On top of that, I have a very sharp tongue & my keyboard is overflowing with adjectives to describe you...fishman. Check your own back yard for garbage...it's probably closer than you think!!!

whatitis
whatitis 08/27/12 - 08:51 am
To all your comments: I have

To all your comments: I have known this family a long time and for anyone to judge them by thier home is wrong. This family is and always will be very close to each other. These children are well raised and very loved. I have met familys with a house so clean you could eat off thier floor, but they did not have the relationship and love that these children have. These children are straight A students in school and are some of the best mannered children I know. Never have I doubted that they were not well taken care of. I wished all that were judging Greg would get to know him and see that he is a kind and loving man to his wife and children. We as a community should embrace this family, these children are young and now without thier Mother. Jerri Lynn will be missed by many and would be heartbroken at how this family was done on the day she passed. I for one will be there and will help this family in anyway I can. And I know that Gregg will be the best father to these children. RIP Jerri Lynn.

fishman960
fishman960 08/27/12 - 09:20 am
Rebuttal

Say what you will about how good the family is but when I see this line, I have serious issues about the health, safety and well being of all living inside.

"Investigators found the home covered in trash, rotting food, roaches and maggots.".

Nothing, AND I MEAN NOTHING can excuse living like this!

Another Opinion
Another Opinion 08/28/12 - 09:52 am
Mom's want their families together

This wonderful lady loved her husband of over 17 years and adored her children. For the police to come in and assume that because of the condition of the house that the children were in danger and take them away and then jail the dad is criminal. I would be interested in raising funds to employ a good attorney to get Gregg out of jail, get his family back together as they should be, and sue the daylights out of the police department and city. Instead of trying to help this family learn how to maintain a clean home, they are punished.

As in another comment, I have seen so many of our trouble young people who come from well off families, live in nice CLEAN homes, drive expensive cars, etc. and they end up not knowing their own parents, usually in trouble with the law, on welfare, on drugs, on and on and who locks up those parents???? Where is the state and police to step in and terminate those families?

Think about who Jesus hung out with, He spent most of his time with the people society did not want; tax collectors, the poor, criminals, people with infectious illnesses, on and on. He did not tear families apart, he built them up. But our police and state (and many of you) would rather destroy a family already hurting instead of actually helping them where they need it.

The way you judge others is how one day you will be judged.