Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta woman, 34, slain; husband charged

Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 10:45 AM
Last updated 11:04 PM

A woman is dead and her husband is in jail after a shooting at Cedar­wood Apartments early Sunday, authorities said.

Harvey James Mitchell  Special
Special
Harvey James Mitchell

Harvey James Mitchell, 31, was charged with murder. Police said he fled after storming into an apartment on Richmond Hill Road West and shooting his wife, Keya Mitchell, 34, about 1 a.m. Members of Mitchell’s family were in the apartment and directed police to her husband, authorities said.

Mitchell was found in the 1200 block of Johnson Ave­nue about 6 p.m., according to a news release from Richmond County sheriff’s Sgt. Bill Leisey, and booked into the Richmond County jail on charges of murder, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Richmond County Deputy Coroner John­ny McDonald said Keya Mitchell’s body will undergo an autopsy in Atlanta today at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab.

He said he could not say how many times she had been shot without an autopsy.

According to the Georgia Depart­ment of Corrections, Mitchell has been incarcerated twice, for two months in 1999 for obstruction of a law enforcement officer, and for two years in 2006 for interference with government property.

Records show Harvey and Keya were married in June 2009.

This is the 21st homicide in Richmond County in 2012.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/19/12 - 09:22 pm

corgimom
corgimom 08/19/12 - 04:34 pm
If the AC would take the time

If the AC would take the time to look at their own archives, they would know that he went to prison for possession of cocaine with intent to distribute. Or so the AC reported.

corgimom
corgimom 08/19/12 - 04:36 pm
Augusta Chronicle, 8/3/2006

Augusta Chronicle, 8/3/2006

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/19/12 - 04:41 pm
Gunshot...

Hate the violence, but at least I didn't wake up to that gunshot. It is nerve-wracking and frightening waking up to gunshots, especially when they are close enough I feel obligated to call them in.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/19/12 - 04:59 pm
Praying...

Praying for everyone whose lives are being affected by the violence, the victim, her family, friends....

GaStang22
GaStang22 08/19/12 - 05:06 pm
Don't know if he considered it,

but research shows it wasn't before. Majority of the time that's the case. She seemed to be a pretty good person and finally wised up and was getting rid of him for good. He couldn't handle that obviously. What a sad loss of life at the hands of a true waste of flesh. My prayers and condolences to her loved ones.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 08/19/12 - 06:43 pm
palmetto, I don't think he's

palmetto, I don't think he's blaming the victim, just asking a simple question. And I think it's a good question. If you were an alcoholic, would you get a job in a bar? If you had knew you couldn't stand to be around your in-laws for more than an hour, would you agree to go on a roadtrip with them? The answer should be NO, and that's because you know that it wouldn't be wise to put yourself in a bad situation because bad things COULD result! That's his question...and that's NOT blaming her. Anyway, I hope they find this dirtbag and I sincerely pray for her family and friends.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/19/12 - 09:23 pm

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/19/12 - 09:44 pm

GaStang22
GaStang22 08/19/12 - 08:48 pm
And some of our points are...we do know.

Some of us can research and read. Especially when it comes from the victim. She seemed to be a sweet lady who fell for the wrong jerk off. For some reason women always think they can change these bad boys they are attracted to. And I know so many felons who I thought turned their life around because it was when they were young and they turned out to be the users abusers and thieves they always were. Not to say some don't completely change, but it few and far between! It appeared she didn't have children with him either. That's so rare especially for as long as they appeared to have been together. She seemed smart and really out of his league. So sad.

KSL
KSL 08/19/12 - 09:04 pm
And exactly who blamed the

And exactly who blamed the victim?

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/19/12 - 09:20 pm
The first post, KSL. It's

The first post, KSL. It's implied in the comment. Oh, and now the comment is gone. Maybe s/he got the point. Now, my comment makes no sense.

JRC2024
JRC2024 08/19/12 - 10:12 pm
To clearify things. I was not

To clearify things. I was not blaming the victim. I am sad for her. I was just asking a simple question and if I offended anyone I am sorry for that. That is all I can say.

HighSociety
HighSociety 08/19/12 - 10:26 pm
Palmetto, The victim is not

Palmetto, The victim is not responsible for sure, but our choices define who we our and the possible outcome of our life. Hopefully this scum bag is caught and put away forever.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/19/12 - 10:44 pm
High society, one of my

High society, one of my points is that we don't know anything about the history of this couple or the choices this woman made. I don't believe that JRC realized how his/her comment could be interpreted since s/he withdrew it.
Congratulations, though, that you to seem to have made all the right choices in your life.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/20/12 - 01:02 am
sensless

A very violent act by a very disturbed individual.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/20/12 - 06:35 am
You Decide?

vic·tim
   [vik-tim]
noun
a person who suffers from a destructive or injurious action or agency: a victim of an automobile accident.

a person who is deceived or cheated, as by his or her own emotions or ignorance, by the dishonesty of others, or by some impersonal agency: a victim of misplaced confidence; the victim of a swindler; a victim of an optical illusion.

a person or animal sacrificed or regarded as sacrificed: war victims.

a living creature sacrificed in religious rites.

HighSociety
HighSociety 08/20/12 - 07:10 am
Yep so far. Thanks!

Yep so far. Thanks!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/20/12 - 07:28 am
My old area

I lived within a few miles of this location in the 60s-70s-80s.....at that time this kind of crime was almost unheard of......nice well kept homes----great place to live.....now tell me......where did it go wrong.....did the police drop the ball--did the government forget about this side of town----if you NEED more POLICE in certain areas PUT THEM THERE.....stop building crap downtown that no one uses...build up Regency Mall again in something that will give JOBS to South Augusta.....GEEZ....you turn a blind eye & then say....WHY.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/20/12 - 08:20 am
Cedarwood Apts. hasn't gotten better

or the place across the road. 1992, a new Bonneville was stolen, glass broken, 50 feet from the "on site resident RCSO deputy" and cruiser. Do not cut through from Richmond Hill to Hwy #1. You will be accosted. Or if you are female and alone do not visit Hillcrest Cemetery.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/20/12 - 09:34 am
What sense does it make to

What sense does it make to blame law enforcement? Completely absurd.
As High said, making bad choices in life usually leads to much sorrow. My condolences to the family.

macHT
macHT 08/20/12 - 10:32 am
My old area

@My old area - So move back to that area and make a difference!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/20/12 - 10:50 am
What doesn't make sense

What doesn't make sense is sending good policemen on walk abouts (community police) into these gun filled areas.......just like sitting ducks imo......does it take more $$$ to fund the police-well DUH DUH ...it does...
Just wait til the first police are killed on "community policing " & this idea will go bye bye....

dang I wish the ignore key worked ALL THE TIME!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/20/12 - 10:51 am
machT

That could happen...

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/20/12 - 11:08 am
Unrealistic expectations

Unrealistic expectations continuously abound.

HighSociety
HighSociety 08/20/12 - 12:46 pm
So true Willow!

So true Willow!

BamaMan
BamaMan 08/21/12 - 12:52 pm
Shrimp

He's not a "disturbed individual". He's a low-life criminal. Period. One that this is far from the first time, as an earlier post said.