Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Suit filed against Richmond County deputies for excessive force

A Hephzibah man arrested by Richmond County sheriff’s deputies two years ago is filing suit against Augusta-Richmond County and the deputies for using what he says was excessive force and unauthorized deadly force during his arrest.

Maurice Thomas alleges that deputies Mathew Sides and Jason Broome broke three bones in his face when they used a baton to subdue him near a home in the 3000 block of Barclay Street in Hephzibah.

Sides is the deputy who was fired last year and sentenced to five years’ probation for threatening a woman with jail time if she didn’t remove her clothes.

According to the complaint filed in U.S. District Court this week, Sides alleged that Thomas fled, resisted arrest and was immune to a burst of pepper spray, so Sides hit him several times with his baton. Thomas claims he ran because the deputies cursed at him and threatened to kill him, then beat him after restraining him without probable cause.

The deputies were responding to a domestic violence call. Thomas pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor family violence charges a month later and was sentenced to a year’s probation.

Angie H
Angie H 08/16/12 - 02:05 pm
They restrained him without

They restrained him without probably cause, yet he pleaded guilty to family violence? hmmmmmmmm.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/16/12 - 04:17 pm
Yeh right.....good luck with

Yeh right.....good luck with that tale Maurice.

Here are the rules. 1: Don't run...don't resist. 2: If you run...you get thumped. 3. If you resist.....you get thumped. 3: If you get hurt when you get thumped....see Rule 1.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/16/12 - 07:58 pm
I'm not familiar

with Mr. Thomas but I'd be willing to bet he is a law-abiding white Tea Party member.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/16/12 - 08:26 pm
Dittos on the above. I am an

Dittos on the above. I am an occasional critic of SOME tactics and people in law enforcement, but when you run and then resist when caught, look for the police to use whatever tools they have at hand to 1) Make you comply and 2) Make you comply with the least exposure to harm to themselves.

sdprice
sdprice 08/17/12 - 07:57 am
I'm not sure about Sides, but

I'm not sure about Sides, but anyone who knows Jason knows this is a load of crap. He's one of the kindest, most gentle people I know. The kind of guy that this world needs more of, not the kind to assault anyone. Doing his job, I'm sure that's true, but ever purposely hurting someone, sorry Mr. Thomas but you've picked the wrong person to accuse.

Adrian27
Adrian27 08/17/12 - 02:45 pm
No one was there so before

No one was there so before you take Sides get the facts. I do not know this young man but Augusta and plenty of cities across the country have used excessive force and have been found guilty if not admitting to it. If a lawyer took his case and is considering it for him - I don't think he would go through the trouble for nothing but you never know. But don't close your eye and be blind to the fact that excessive force does occur. It may not have came to your street yet but its out there along with racism, bribery, racial profiling and everything else. All cops are not bad but all of them are not saints. And I agree you should not resist arrest. But look at what Thomas states happened.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/17/12 - 03:33 pm
The involvement of Sides

The involvement of Sides bothers me too.

mikeelliott
mikeelliott 08/17/12 - 03:47 pm
sdprice, I agree with you

sdprice, I agree with you 110%. I have known Jason and his family for many years. What a great personality for a peace officer. If all officers were like him there would be no need for special training for community policing. He authentically treats people as if he were there to serve them...what a novel idea!

JRC2024
JRC2024 08/18/12 - 09:00 am
Sounds like Mr. Thomas has a

Sounds like Mr. Thomas has a temper and likes to run. maybe he needs to go to anger management class to learn how to control instead of act out like so many do. I am not against him but his guilty plea is against him and his ability to control himself. Never run.

just an opinion
just an opinion 08/18/12 - 01:26 pm
Lawyers will do anything

If they think they can make a buck regardless of what the facts are they will do it. Lawyers continue to reach for new lows.

gcap
gcap 08/18/12 - 06:12 pm
Who's his lawyer?

The article doesn't include an attorney's name. I'll bet if the lawyers knew their names would be used in the news articles, we'd see less of these suits.

GaStang22
GaStang22 08/18/12 - 11:48 pm
Not condoning excessive force but

I have no sympathy for a woman beating criminal with no respect for anyone. Big man can beat a woman but wants to cry when he's "supposedly" attacked. GTHOH!!!!