Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man charged with exposing self at welcome center

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 11:52 AM
Last updated 9:05 PM

A McCormick County man has been charged with indecent exposure after police said he exposed himself at the Georgia Welcome Center.

According to an incident report, Michael Lee Hartley, 52, of Plum Branch, S.C., followed a 23-year-old Louisiana man into the restroom around noon Sunday and attempted to look through the cracks of his stall.

Police said Hartley then followed the victim to the parking lot where he unbuttoned his pants and openly fondled himself.

Hartley, who denied exposing himself, was booked into the Richmond County Jail on charges of indecent exposure.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 08/13/12 - 12:19 pm
Protocol

I believe the correct form of address is to enter the neighboring cubicle and tap one's foot under the partition.

See Craig, L.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/13/12 - 12:51 pm
Hey Hey,

Why are you charging me. I thought America has now said I now can come out of the closet!

cheapster505
cheapster505 08/13/12 - 03:06 pm
ha ha

was it a Marrige proposal?

oldfella
oldfella 08/13/12 - 03:25 pm
Now that's a warm welcome!

He was just welcoming him to South Carolina. It sure beats a fruit basket!

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/13/12 - 03:56 pm
In my day there was an

In my day there was an adjective that was quite properly used to identify this guy's actions as strange or odd. But with the way we have outlawed the use of some perfectly valid words, and seem determined to redefine others, I must assume this guy was either looking for a marriage partner or some other type of civil union.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/13/12 - 05:58 pm
Dichotomy, queer is no longer

Dichotomy, queer is no longer a politically incorrect word as you assume. In academic circles, there is a solid contingency of scholars and growing body of research in what is referred to as "queer studies" and "queer theory." So, I guess you can have your word back.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/13/12 - 09:40 pm
Not to mention, I imagine 99%

Not to mention, I imagine 99% of gays would take exception to be categorized with this sexual pervert.

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/13/12 - 09:51 pm
Probably fits the old joke...

...about the flasher who exposed himself, and the police interviewing the victim asked for a description. The victim said, "It looked like a penis, only smaller."
I guess we will find out if you can say "penis" on this blog. AC please note your own story says "openly fondled" and "indecent exposure" and "penis" is not a vulgar term.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/13/12 - 10:47 pm
Dixieman, penis is the in

Dixieman, penis is the in thing. Kids are now taught to refer to body parts with their official anatomical labels. My two year old granddaughter says penis. I will tolerate, but only with chagrin. I prefer dingy or my personal favorite, peething.

GaStang22
GaStang22 08/14/12 - 02:45 am
Haha Thanks for the laughs posters!! Too Funny!

What a sicko this guy is. He's lucky he picked such a nice guy because all the men I know would have been calling him an ambulance not a police car.

Wow, penis and bitching are ok terms, but whining is not. SMDH ..that is...until this gets removed for the big bad W word!!

KSL
KSL 08/14/12 - 06:01 am
Actually, the article states

Actually, the article states that this occurred at the GA welcome center. Of course, he was a SC pervert.

KSL
KSL 08/14/12 - 06:06 am
"Unbuttoned his pants"?

"Unbuttoned his pants"?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/14/12 - 07:31 am
Why?

Why is it we seldom hear of women doing this? There must be a logical reason...common sense reason...BINGO....sense!

allhans
allhans 08/14/12 - 08:27 am
KSL Loungewear/pajamas

KSL Loungewear/pajamas possibly.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/14/12 - 09:39 am
he took it out, it, out

The SC Welcome Center used to be the place for highway officials to do their thing. And they even made appointments via phone. Remember.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/14/12 - 09:38 am
Ladies,

Maybe one of the men can enlighten everyone on the "unbutton". As I wait my turn for the potty at the ballgame or racetrack, I've noticed lots of younger men who unbutton their pants to get rid of some beer. At least I assume that is what they've done when they turn around and are refastening their belts.
I just assumed it was a way to state "I've got too much.." Nevermind, I deleted the remainder of that in order to stay out of trouble with SM.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/14/12 - 09:44 am
have you never seen a female urinal?

they do exist. popularity of its installation could have a positive effect on wait time for the women. We have seen places where women would usurp the men's toilet because of the lines of women waiting for relief. stationing a female at the door for security and exclusive admission.

Tullie
Tullie 08/14/12 - 09:53 am
"Unbuttoned his pants"?

I have some jeans that have buttons instead of a zipper. I hate them. At my age when you gotta go, you gotta go. They take too long to undo. I wasn't thinking about that when I bought them :P

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/14/12 - 09:59 am
Button fly

Maybe he was wearing part of his old Navy uniform (not Old Navy; old Navy).

KSL
KSL 08/14/12 - 10:35 am

For your explanations. Just goes to show us how not only perverted some people are, but how stupid. If one is going to be exposing parts of oneself to others, wouldn't you want to have easy recovery.

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/14/12 - 10:44 am
You Guys are too Good!

I needed a good laugh this morning and you have provided comments to meet my needs! Thanks!

KSL
KSL 08/14/12 - 10:47 am
Seenit, women are smart

Seenit, women are smart enough to do it in a way that they can get paid. And they don't even have to declare it as income.

KSL
KSL 08/14/12 - 10:48 am
No taxes!

No taxes!

KSL
KSL 08/14/12 - 10:51 am
Danged hang up on this

Danged hang up on this tablet. My sincerest apologies.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/14/12 - 11:42 am
yea, but....

Women's mammaries are not "genitals". About the only time I've ever heard of a woman exposing her other parts is from stories by truckers.

Outlet mall plans canceled

Ben Carter Enterprises has decided not to pursue a fashion outlet mall at the Village at Riverwatch development.