Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Caregiver accused of stealing from paralyzed patient

Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 10:20 PM
Last updated 11:26 PM

A handicapped man told police his in-home caregiver stole nearly $6,000 and medication from him, a Richmond County sheriff’s report said.

A little after 3 p.m. Sunday, police were called to the first block of Fister Court where a 36-year-old quadriplegic told them his nurse and three friends had taken his safe from his bedroom closet with $5,700 in it, and medications from his backpack, while he was in the bathroom.

The report said he did not realize anything was missing until the next day.

HighSociety
HighSociety 08/12/12 - 10:31 pm
This is really bad, but I'm

This is really bad, but I'm sure it was just a bad decision. Those responsible shouldn't go to jail. Jail isn't the answer for these types of crime.

OccamsRazor
OccamsRazor 08/13/12 - 03:20 am
You're kidding, right?

I hope you're joking. Are you seriously advocating that the perpetrator not be charged with a crime because "it was a bad decision?" What kind of excuse it that? Stealing from a patient is despicable, and I hope they are charged to the fullest extent of the law. In my opinion, if they are found guilty, they absolutely deserve jail time. There simply isn't any excuse for that kind of behavior, and there certainly isn't any room for those types of people in the medical profession.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 05:38 am
High

I would have to ask High....if not jail ...what?

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 08/13/12 - 06:58 am
High

I can't speak for High, but I am sure that he's being sarcastic and referencing the story from yesterday (about the judge).

Felonies are now over $1,000, and this fits. Just letting you know that a felony is no longer over $500. This is another way to keep those that steal (made a mistake) out of jail.

These four people are no better than pond scum, and if convicted, the nurse needs to lose her license. Only that would provide an undue hardship for her to get employment in the future (by the good GA Supreme Court Justice Carol Hunstein's way of thinking).

And again, the local reporters use the wrong terminology here on the front webpage headline. He was NOT robbed!

JRC2024
JRC2024 08/13/12 - 08:38 am
Jail time----yes and alot of

Jail time----yes and alot of it.

HighSociety
HighSociety 08/13/12 - 09:24 am
Fatboyhog, yes, I was being

Fatboyhog, yes, I was being sarcastic and referencing the article on the judge. This is a prime example of trash that should be locked up.

Tullie
Tullie 08/13/12 - 11:41 am
I'm Sorry HighSociety

I am sorry for my post earlier HighSociety, even though it looks like they deleted it, I thought you were serious. Please forgive me.

And to Fatboyhog, good job on picking up that he was being facetious.

I didn't know they had changed the amount to $1000.00 for theft for felony conviction. Wow, that will allow for a lot of "mistakes." Which I guess in some cases I guess for some knucklehead kids might be a good thing.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Jeepster2001
Jeepster2001 08/13/12 - 12:05 pm
I can think of a couple of

I can think of a couple of things that should happen to those four pillars of the community. And I don't care if it will be a hardship - the nurse should lose her license. There is a special place in Hell for people who would steal from a paralyzed/helpless person. Alligator food, immediately comes to mind.

HighSociety
HighSociety 08/13/12 - 01:02 pm
Tullie, no worries, I have

Tullie, no worries, I have thick skin. :)

The scary thing is there are folks out there that feel these thieves are just poor, misunderstood individuals that need attention and love.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/13/12 - 05:16 pm
Impose legal consequences to

Impose legal consequences to the max if this is the case. However, from another angle....many, many, many accuse their caretakers of stealing from them and it is not true.

Just wondering, who took the "paralyzed" patient to the bathroom
while the nurse and friends were tied up with stealing the safe and medicine?

Taxpayers duck financial hit

Taxpayers dodged a financial punch when a judge ruled this month Augusta doesn't have to pay attorney fees to the company that successfully sued the city over its bidding process.