Motorcyclist dies from injuries in Monday crash

A motorcyclist who crashed Monday died today from his injuries.

Andre Harris, 35, was taken to the Medical College of Georgia Hospital immediately following the crash at Wheeless and Milledgeville roads. The Richmond County Coroner’s Office said Harris died around 11 a.m. today from massive head trauma.

Police said Harris was riding a 2007 Suzuki GSXR 600 when a vehicle driven by Sheila McGruder, 47, turned left in front of him onto Milledgeville Road.

McGruder, who was found at fault in the crash, faces charges of second degree homicide by motor vehicle, failure to yield and driving with a suspended vehicle registration.

Charges have not been filed yet.

The motorcycle was reported stolen through the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office in 2011.

Grimzine
Grimzine 08/08/12 - 02:42 pm
Sad news...

It is quite sad a life was lost in this story. I only hope it is more than a simple slap on the wrist for the driver of the other vehicle.

Frank I
Frank I 08/08/12 - 04:28 pm
Look twice.. lives are saved

Look twice.. lives are saved that way..

kayekaye37
kayekaye37 08/08/12 - 10:26 pm
Mixed feelings

There is going to be mixed feelings no matter what happens here. I happen to know the family of the driver on the bike. Either way you look at it it is bad all the way around. I feel for you and your family b/c of what happen to the bike but also for the other 2 families too.

jgriffin5197
jgriffin5197 08/09/12 - 07:19 pm
Skeedy, I can definitely see

Skeedy, I can definitely see where you are coming from and I have mixed feelings as well. In June, there were 4 sport bikes stolen at Estates at Perimeter apartments, and unfortunately one of those bikes belonged to my husband. When I read this story, I couldn't help but wonder if there was any correlation between this story and our bike. And its also unfortunate that there is now no way to find out if there was any relation. Any day someone loses there life, it is a sad day, but karma isn't anyone's friend. Anyone that cannot go out and work hard to earn something but would rather steal it from someone doesnt deserve to have their cake and be able to eat it too.

perkins412@yahoo.com
perkins412@yahoo.com 08/09/12 - 10:19 pm
Sad

I find it remarkable at the comments that are being posted regarding this young man he has lost his life in a tragic accident he was a father, brother,friend,son, and much more now as people are free to have there own opinions in all matters think if this was one of your loved ones. Now as as far as the bike being stolen there in nothing that indicates that he stole the bike in fact he PURCHASED IT!!!! so there is always more to a story and it never cut and dry just as I am reading these comments so is his family. Yes crime happens everyday and everywhere you can purchase stolen good that are published on the websites as well as IWANTA and other publicication so dont always assume anything without having all of the facts. My heart goes out to this you Harris family and to his mother and his children.

perkins412@yahoo.com
perkins412@yahoo.com 08/10/12 - 09:30 am
speedy

This bike was recently purchase and was not required to have a tag for it for 30 days and no he would not have been able to get a valid tag for the bike but at the same time HE IS DEAD!!! Not only that another person is losong hers becoming a number in the system As I said there is always more to a situation other than what gets told I'm sorry for whom evert the bike belong to I'm sure they really liked it to buy it but I'm more sorry for the mother and young children who will be burying there son and father!!

skeedy1969
skeedy1969 08/10/12 - 12:20 pm
Perkins; As I have said

Perkins; As I have said before; Iam very sorry for him loosing his life. I would not want anyone to loose their life regardless of the situation. I will ask; since in fact it seems you have all the info; would you mind telling me where he purchased this bike from; that way it will clear his name. You have to understand that I'm a mother that loves my son as well. My son was stationed there at the time and he worked hard to buy that bike. However; he was able with my help to purchase another bike in February of this year and 2 weeks later; low and behold that one was stolen and his friends and his girlfriends. Since he has bought another bike; which makes it 3 bikes in less than one year and this recent bike will never be in GA. It breaks my heart that you have people fighting for their country and yet they are not safe. So when we were called of course we would have no other choice but to assume that Mr. Harris stole the bike or know something about it because he was riding it. From what I understand the bike had been J-rigged; I supose meaning you have to crank it with a tool or something so therefore why would you buy a bike that had damage to the starter, thats a red flag right there. We have the keys to each bike. Again sorry for your loss. But alot of people are hurting one way or another right now dealing with the situation as well. God Bless.

perkins412@yahoo.com
perkins412@yahoo.com 08/10/12 - 07:12 pm
It is very unfortunate that

It is very unfortunate that your son had 2 of his bikes stolen and what I was stating is based on that I know this young man and his family and that is not his character. I also understand that it is upsetting that you spend your hard earn money on the things that you want only to have them stolen my mothers home was broken into TWICE in 6 months and everything that was stolen belong to my son both times and fortunately when it is covered by INSURANCE they help with replacing those materials but in this instance INSURANCE cant replace a life. I hope that you do find out the information regarding your sons bike and thank you for your condolenses and God bless

Skeedy69
Skeedy69 08/10/12 - 10:52 pm
You ar very welcome. However

You ar very welcome. However this bike that your loved one was riding was not covered by insurance that's why it hurt him so much. He is not 25 so he only had liability on it because full coverage for his age was too expensive. However the second bike was fully insured. He learned from that incident that it's worth paying more. But no one ever thinks their property would be stolen. I pray his family will find peace and my sympathy goes out to them.

heartborken85
heartborken85 08/13/12 - 08:38 pm
MY MOTHER

ACCIDENTS HAPPEN. I FEEL FOR THE FAMILY OF ANDRE BUT I ALSO FEEL FOR MINE THIS WAS MY MOTHER THAT HIT HIM. SHE CRIED ALL DAY AFTER IT SHE FELT SO BAD. SHE WOULD NEVER HURT ANYONE ON PURPOSE. SO NOW WE HAVE LOST OUR MOTHER IT IS SUCH A GREAT LOSS TO US. MY MOTHER IS VERY SICK AND WONT BE WITH US MUCH LONGER:( WE ASK THAT SHE GET FORGIVENESS. SHE WOULD NEVER HURT ANYONE SHE IS A GREAT PERSON. AND NO MATTER WHAT U ALL SAY SHE IS MY MOTHER AND I LOVE HER.

Skeedy69
Skeedy69 08/16/12 - 09:51 pm
Heartbroken my heart and

Heartbroken my heart and prayers go out to your mother. I truly wish there were something I could do to help her. I hope the judge will take in consideration what type of person Andre was. His own actions has cause so much grief on so many people. I truly had given him the benefit of doubt until my son went to Georgia today and picked his bike up. Andre had jumper cables running from under the seat to the broken ignition to crank the bike. So please tell me why he wouldn't think this was a stolen bike. I believe now that he did steal it but if for some odd reason he didn't he still knew he was buying stolen property so he is still a thief in my book. So Perkins obviously you didn't know your friend very well. I still say I dont wish death on anyone but Godvdont like ugly.

Too Blessed To Be Stress
Too Blessed To Be Stress 08/17/12 - 12:48 am
Leave the judging up to God

John 8:7 "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone."
Instead of judging, let us all practice prayer for both families. Accidents happens and nothing happens unless God allows it. I personally do not know the McGruder family, but my heart and prayers goes out to them; they too have lost a loved one. I can say that I have had the privilege of knowing Mr. Andre (Dre) Harris, he was my sister's boyfriend. Inspite of how his life ended and the circumstances that lead to his death, he had a gentle and caring heart. Several years before leaving this earth Mr. Harris vowed to fulfilled a great commitment, and that commitment was to donate his organs after his death. Although one life has gone on to a better place, several other lives will continue on through his blessings. So Kudos to you Dre, job well done. Rest in peace!!!! Harris Family you are in my prayers.

Election Updates

ATLANTA — Now that Georgia Republicans have settled on businessman David Perdue as their nominee for the state's open Senate seat, the real battle begins with a marquee match-up in the ...