Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta woman, 56, wakes to burglars in home

Wednesday, Aug 8, 2012 11:23 AM
Last updated 9:30 PM

A 56-year-old Augusta woman woke to find two men standing inside her home off of Stevens Creek Road on Wednesday morning, according to a Richmond County sheriff’s incident report.

The woman told deputies she woke around 1:40 a.m. after hearing a loud crash. There were two men in ballcaps standing just inside the front door of her home on the 2000 block of Autumn Chase.

The victim told officers the men fled immediately after she asked what they wanted.

At the scene, deputies found that a stepping stone had been thrown through a window in the front door. Police believe the men unlocked the door and entered the residence by reaching through the broken window.

KSL
KSL 08/08/12 - 11:38 am
I wish she had shot both of

I wish she had shot both of them.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/08/12 - 11:39 am
Were they code enforcement

officers inquiring about late night watering of grass?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/08/12 - 11:54 am
Reporting

I'm glad the newspaper reports incidents such as this — they remind us citizenry that we need to be vigilant. Still, I find reporting the victim's age to be irrelevant and, thus, unnecessary.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/08/12 - 12:58 pm
I'm with you, KSL, I won't be

I'm with you, KSL, I won't be asking, I'll be telling.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/08/12 - 03:59 pm
All they had to say was they

All they had to say was they worked for Columbia County Code Enforcement and they wouldn't have been charged.

LL, a good thing she wasn't 49 or something. That would have required a new headline. What a non sequitur...ha.

jferrell24
jferrell24 08/09/12 - 08:06 am
New Sign on My Front Door

Due To The increase In The Price Of Ammunition
DO NOT EXPECT A WARNING SHOT

bdouglas
bdouglas 08/09/12 - 08:15 am
@LL: My thoughts exactly.

@LL: My thoughts exactly. With so many articles here leaving out *important* details, we also get ones like this that tell us how old the victim of a robbery is. I don't get it.

beboisme
beboisme 08/09/12 - 08:54 am
She was very lucky to have

She was very lucky to have spoken the words,"What do you want?"

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 08/09/12 - 09:53 am
She asked them "what they

She asked them "what they wanted"? That's either one cool, calm lady or she was still half asleep.

What did she expect them to say.........."a ham sandwich"?

Shoot first, ask questions later.

Fatality highlights golf cart safety

Similar to cars, driving a golf cart has legal requirements. Texting and driving is illegal. So is driving while impaired. Also, all drivers must have a valid driver's license and golf carts are ...